aaa anyone else ever wonder? - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: anyone else ever wonder?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 11

Original Message                 Date: 19-Mar-04  @  08:13 PM   -   anyone else ever wonder?

influx

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

this is a post I threw up somewhere else. Didnt know what forum...go ahead and razz me if you think I chose the wrong one:

"I just spent the last few weeks doing some major changes in my studio setup. soundproofing, new desk, new audio interface.

and now I cant write jack shit. Ive had less and less hardware over the last few years, and my output has dropped significantly. The sound quality is much _cleaner_ now, and I have far more power at my disposal than ever before, but...

everything feels so cold and clinical now! That feeling of grabbing my old akai AX-60, juno106, waldorf pulse...gone. Now its just a mouse and a screen. I still have my virus of course, but somehow even that isnt as exciting anymore because I just make some sounds and then record them into cubase.

some of you are gonna shit their pants, but I actually kinda miss sequencing in midi. I dont miss HW sequencers, but...my old Atari Falcon! Yes, Im serious.

midi sequencing, realtime mixdowns (sending to effects, channel fades, playing with mutes)

I know Im definitely going against the grain here, as everyone is so in love with all that computers offer (heh, the thought of not having a UAD-1 anymore gives me the shakes I tell ya!)

but...anyone else think that maybe, truly, honestly, technology is slowly but surely removing the humanity from the music making equation?

Im not only talking about the "anyone can do it" aspect even though that is clearly true, but...just..the spontaneity, the hands on feel? the..."realness" of it?

oh and btw...nectarios..PLEASE...we know where you stand so...if youre gonna pull the "digital sucks" thing..just save it, ok? "

(the last part is for this guy there that CONSTANTLY throws his "yeah well, my ____ analog sounds WAY better than ____"

gets fckin old, so I dropped a preemptive strike on 'im

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 31/107             23-Mar-04  @  02:03 AM   -   RE: anyone else ever wonder?

chroma

Link?:  No link

yeah back to basics!

the power supply on my pc blew up. i made a few half hearted attempts at writing on my kawai q80 and my hardware (sampler, analogs etc). it sucked. i got to work with acid 3 on my old amdk6 pc (128mb ram) and just a cd of old loops. i also installed cubase 3.75 and used xgedit with my crappy waveforce soundcard. just loops and xg sounds, no vsts no nothing. been writing more than i have in months. just churning out loop after loop. now i have quite a few bits to dump to my hardware rig when i get my main pc up.

funny how i was happy with this setup for years, just wanted a *little more power. hten i got the power and you know the rest

i dont think spontaneity/lack of has anything to do with knobs, sliders, hardware, plugs etc. which is what milan said i guess

Message 32/107             23-Mar-04  @  02:39 PM   -   RE: anyone else ever wonder?

xoxos

Link?: Link

Me!

transpose is good - key/scale force is nice - don't know if you've seen my arp2midi or q generators, but my suggestion is go for a complete no-source sequence generation system.. (and add some maqamat and non-western scales  

zone the keyboard to switch between various params, add mode/chord forcing motif generation stuff.. working on a new vsti environment for this stuff.. atm i'm thinking i want to have sequence generation work on a dual sequence system, guaranteeing that one sequence with have a nice cross-rhythm with at least one other.

my goal atm is to quit making stuff and do music again.. but the two go very nicely together..

Message 33/107             23-Mar-04  @  03:08 PM   -   RE: anyone else ever wonder?

mcc>

yeah...stop building stuff and make music again.

Message 34/107             23-Mar-04  @  08:04 PM   -   RE: anyone else ever wonder?

cydonia cell

I've finaly caved and started mixing and doing some track sequencing on PC. But I could never create there.. it's so stagnant, structured... there's something profoundly disappointing about always thinking everything through before you do it.

With hardware, sometimes, the amazing stuff happens because you're rockin' out... the gear moves with you, and you have to respnod in real time. It makes a HUGE creative difference.

Look at this way, painting got way more creative with the advent of photography.

Not being able to be perfect is what best brings forward the humanity of creativity.

e

Message 35/107             25-Mar-04  @  12:29 PM     Edit: 25-Mar-04  |  12:32 PM   -   RE: anyone else ever wonder?

sitar

nothin new here, but if you listen to Bach there is a lack of drama compared to Beethoven. In Bach's time they composed a lot on and wrote a lot for harpsicord. Harpsichord has 2 volume levels (or was it clavichord?) loud and soft so they never thought in terms of swelling to build up or gradually softening the music and having levels in between. Also the notes played on a harpsichord didn't sustain so each note is disconnected from the ones around it. Bach was brilliant at writing counterpoint and harmony but was very much confined compared to Beethoven in the above sense and his music was molded by what he had to work with. It's very obvious when you listen to the 2 composers. The piano was invented just before or during Beethoven's life. Beethoven could think and compose in terms of what a harpsichord could do with the huge addition of notes that could melt into eachother when he wanted them to, and volume which could gradually increase and decrease within a volume range and note range that was much broader than it's predecessor.

We are very influenced, inspired, and sometimes thwarted by the tools we have to work with. Choose them wisely.

And I'm sure that both Bach and Beethoven would've insisted this thread belongs in the PC Music forum.

Message 36/107             25-Mar-04  @  12:48 PM   -   RE: anyone else ever wonder?

milan

heheh... great thread guys, just what was missing around here lately!

Message 37/107             25-Mar-04  @  12:49 PM   -   RE: anyone else ever wonder?

dub-munkey

great points sitar....so what do you reckon beethoven would use a mac or pc?

greg

Message 38/107             25-Mar-04  @  12:57 PM   -   RE: anyone else ever wonder?

milan

i dunno, but i BET he'd be doing some euphoric trance!

(and miles davis would kick herbie hancock's ass by doing a better dnb album!)

Message 39/107             25-Mar-04  @  02:28 PM   -   RE: anyone else ever wonder?

RagnarOk

The crazy thing is my preferences toward a creative environment are continously changing. There are times when the best for me if I render evrything into audio and arrange those parts, but other times I really need everything in realtime, so I can modify every tiny bit in a song. And I usually end my "fruitless" periods with changing my approach (although sometimes I just have a month or two, when nothing good comes out).

But I've used software and only software and that will probably stay that way. (I'm afraid of complex things when it comes to making music.)

Message 40/107             25-Mar-04  @  02:34 PM   -   RE: anyone else ever wonder?

xoxos

"..there's something profoundly disappointing about always thinking everything through before you do it.

With hardware, sometimes, the amazing stuff happens because you're rockin' out... the gear moves with you, and you have to respnod in real time. It makes a HUGE creative difference.

Look at this way, painting got way more creative with the advent of photography.

Not being able to be perfect is what best brings forward the humanity of creativity."

so that's how you're going to cut me, eh? i think in my entire history of midi composition, it has been my process to create what i envision.

you're telling me i can't envision something w/o it being stagnant? now i know you're not going to tell me that...  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 11

There are 107 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)