aaa Will a Sampler Fullfill my 909 needs? - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

05-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Will a Sampler Fullfill my 909 needs?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Original Message                 Date: 03-Sep-98  @  10:33 PM   -   Will a Sampler Fullfill my 909 needs?

hmfoster

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Hi. A Sampler will provide me with adequate 909
BassDrums and Hats, right? I don't care if can't
mess with the parameters as much as on a Real 909 or Drumstation. I have only CS1x and the 909 samples are a bit weak.(I've heard this before from others as well. I would rather put my money
towards a sampler rather than a Drumstation.
Jon

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 31/41             11-Sep-98  @  05:43 AM   -   RE: Will a Sampler Fullfill my 909 needs?

buggo

oh, just heard an excellent example of a weak 909 snare that sounds GOOD, believe it or not...cuz it's layered with a clicky jungle-snare thing...check prodigy's "their law"...in fact all I hear on that track is 909 stuff, maybe liam actually used a (gasp) 909 instead of samples!!

(what the hell is that guy's last name?)

Message 32/41             11-Sep-98  @  08:58 AM   -   RE: Will a Sampler Fullfill my 909 needs?

Richie

xoxoxos, depends what you want out of the 808 drums. Is it worth buying a novation just for that? I will admit that I only use about 8 or so sounds of the nov. drumstation that includes 808/909. I never use the conga's, cowbell, 808 toms, 909 clap, 808 cymbals, 808 hihats, 808 rimshot, I hardly ever use the tweakability of the thing (maybe for the 909 snare). But since snare builds went out of fashion I don't even use the knobs for that now.

In fact, last night I was thinking that maybe I would be better off selling it and using the cash for a sampler with lots of outs.

Which brings this thread back to the original subject.

You can do stuff with samples that you can't do with just a novation.. like phasing snares. filtering (unless you have an external filter).

Hmmm... I think I am going to sell mine after all.

Message 33/41             11-Sep-98  @  09:06 AM   -   RE: Will a Sampler Fullfill my 909 needs?

bill

Link?:  Link

you don't need a drumstation for 808 stuff either - you can get by with some other cheaper modules (all depends how far you want to go into tweakability i guess). but i just got a roland mvs1 (which is their vintage synth card for the jv1080 in a module) for really cheap - it has pretty good drum sounds - all of which you can edit to pieces with an appropriate editor. and you get millions of old analog-synth samples as well - very nice little toy....

buggo - liam howlett - if that's what you were asking

Message 34/41             11-Sep-98  @  02:45 PM   -   RE: Will a Sampler Fullfill my 909 needs?

xoxos

actually the stuff on kilo's 2nd link 808's me to my 808 heart's content. just the time saving thing of not having to export the desired samples. richie next time you're in tucson drop by and i'll buy yer drumstation..

do any of you people know 'storm the studio' by mbm? future music said they only sold 1000 copies. zoiks. well the world is a safer place for it.

xoxos.

Message 35/41             11-Sep-98  @  03:03 PM   -   RE: Will a Sampler Fullfill my 909 needs?

Richie

Where's Tucson ??

Just thought of something with the novation drumstation tho, If I sell it then I'm losing the 6 separate outputs for the kick/hh/ride/808clap etc are'nt I...

Shit,, now I think I'll keep it AND get a sampler. Oh blimey.

Anyone lend me 500 quids????

Message 36/41             12-Sep-98  @  03:47 PM   -   RE: Will a Sampler Fullfill my 909 needs?

buggo

aah yes, howlett...i see...i am a fool...

Message 37/41             14-Sep-98  @  10:22 AM   -   RE: Will a Sampler Fullfill my 909 needs?

Floatpoint

Why not try my version...
Use your PC as a drummachine.
Easy to process the samples in different progs,
for different fx and such.
And yes, I was talkin bout the proggy, not the machine

The machine (drumstation) is quite limited...

But ok, the analogue feel and all that... (well its not analogue anyway)
EQ is a vital element in the process...
If you're good you can compensate for the analogue loss
with other machines...

Message 38/41             14-Sep-98  @  11:22 AM   -   RE: Will a Sampler Fullfill my 909 needs?

bill

ah. but can you run three drum loops on different channels of your mixer - cutting between them, adding fx as and when you will - at the same time as a bassline and a couple of samples looping? samplers are better for drums in my opinion cos you've got multi-audio-out mostly. but then, i guess you could get a darla card - but they cost more than an emax...

Message 39/41             15-Sep-98  @  08:50 AM   -   RE: Will a Sampler Fullfill my 909 needs?

floatpoint

If the drum progs u use have built in fx (like drumstation). U wont need any other processing.
Or u can add the fx in progs like VST or any Sample editing proggy like Cool edit.
U can get software reverbs (TC Electronics) for instance,
for free (?) instead of paying 1000 quid for a similiar
hardware box.
If u want separate fx you just split the samplings up
and import them into VST one by one.
Not that I mind samplers... I have several as mentioned before... but if you're on a budget, the software version is a good alternative.
And when it comes to noise, the software solution outclasses the harware one greatly.
You don't have to go through noisy mixers,cables,fx boxes and such...it is all dunne strictly digitaly.

Message 40/41             15-Sep-98  @  09:10 AM   -   RE: Will a Sampler Fullfill my 909 needs?

bill

"if you're on a budget, the software version is a good alternative". maybe. but that all depends on whether you have a good-ish pc in the first place to run the stuff and a decent soundcard for the sounds.

say your pc cost you 600quid and your soundcard 100quid. for 700 you could get an atari with cubase for sequencing (100/150), an emax for sampling and master keys (200), an fb01 for fm-synthesis (50), a d110/u110 for background sounds and extra poly (100), a cheap s/h mixer (100), a microverb for reverb (50), a delay pedal/boss half-rack for delay (50). and there's loads of atari-editors for the modules you got...

i reckon i'd rather have that basic setup than a pc and a soundcard.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

There are 41 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)