aaa Monitor speakers - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

09-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Monitor speakers

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Original Message                 Date: 04-Sep-03  @  06:51 PM   -   Monitor speakers

djsolsticeforever

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

Hello, i need to get some monitor speakers as at the mo im just using standard hifi speakers which have ok bass but im pretty sure they don't have the same frequency range and clarity that monitors do.
Im wondering what to get though. Im prolly thinking of spending like £300 or somink like that. Is it good to go for actives rather than passive. I do have an amp already (technics SU V 500) but the o/p are in the block binder form where u inser bare wire, would this be a problem at all if using proper monitors and also the amp would it be good enough to by pass active's.
My mind keeps wandering over to those new sky blue monitors but well, they are £999.
Im using them mainly to produce dance music and rnb style if that helps at all.
Also i think i'll get some stands too so i can arrange them so that im in that typical equalateral triangle position.
What do u think.
Scott

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 31/41             09-Sep-03  @  12:28 PM   -   RE: Monitor speakers

Bug

Steal them!

Message 32/41             09-Sep-03  @  05:39 PM   -   RE: Monitor speakers

Boo

Thanks, Bug!

I clicked the bass up a notch last night and played a few CDs through them - sounds much better.

I'll have to dig out the manuals again and try messing with the room compensation switches, too. Mine are much closer to the wall than yours - Perhaps it's time to pull my desk back...

Message 33/41             10-Sep-03  @  01:03 AM   -   RE: Monitor speakers

Boo

Actually, it wasn't that I clicked the bass up a notch, I just clicked it back to zero. Looks like I'd set it to cut bass at some point.

What a pillock I am sometimes.

Message 34/41             10-Sep-03  @  02:36 AM   -   RE: Monitor speakers

Defector z

Link?:  No link

I did that earlier this year. Couldn't understand why my Evolver wasn't getting any good low end out of it...

Message 35/41             15-Sep-03  @  08:39 PM   -   RE: Monitor speakers

Bug

Tell ya what tho, i recently saw a pair of behringer truths in a bbc production studio, if there good enough for them there good enough for me.

Since i last posted here ive been doing a lot of listening to my tracks on other peoples stereo's, big and small. Let me tell you my tracks sound well produced even if i do say so myself, so they cant be a bad set of monitors, i had my doubts at first too i think its just a matter of getting used to them!
BUG 

Message 36/41             16-Sep-03  @  12:09 AM   -   RE: Monitor speakers

Boo

Heh, thanks bug! I'm really happy now the switches aren't cutting the bass off. What a idiot I am. Too many switches to check! I've been running CDs through them to get used to the sound and I can actually hear some bottom end. They almost sound 'nice' without being sweet. I guess I won't need that Sub anymore.

I just wrote an almost complete track on Saturday, ran it through the PSP vintage warmer (FOOKING AWESOME PLUGIN) and burnt it to CD - it's been the best mix I've ever made. I've listened in 3 cars and two stereos - Rock solid bass, without being overpowering - At last!

I'm really happy I can finally hear what's going on in my music. I honestly thought monitors were supposed to be pretty bassless and thought that you needed some kind of voodoo ears (Or a monster sub) to know what was really going on.

And, yeah, if the BBC use them...   I got a pair of Senheiser 414s when I noticed them in use at a lot of BBC facilities. THey need new foam covers. It got old and fell off them.

Dead chuffed!

Message 37/41             16-Sep-03  @  12:50 AM   -   RE: Monitor speakers

Defector z

Link?:  No link

Yeah, but weren't there also a set of Yammy's that EVERY studio had but actually sounded like arse? They're fairly standard, just can't remember the name...

Message 38/41             16-Sep-03  @  12:54 AM   -   RE: Monitor speakers

Boo

NS-10s?

Message 39/41             16-Sep-03  @  12:58 AM   -   RE: Monitor speakers

Boo

W ell, the story goes that if you can make a pair of NS10's sound good, then your mix is really good. However, I'm sure nobody monitored on those exclusively.

Message 40/41             17-Sep-03  @  02:09 PM   -   RE: Monitor speakers

psylichon

I don't know how they became the standard (perhaps in a day when bass wasn't so prevalent), but the reason every major studio has NS-10 is for frame of reference. Engineers just know what they sound like, no question.

And yes, a lot of cats use them exclusively.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

There are 41 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)