aaa PC Shutdown - aaaarrggghhh - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

05-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: PC Shutdown - aaaarrggghhh

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Original Message                 Date: 02-Feb-04  @  04:16 PM   -   PC Shutdown - aaaarrggghhh

Dingostema

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

Got one of these annoying problems. My PC seems to shut down periodically when I play or record in Logic and doesnt seem to follow any pattern. It originally sounded like a Hard drive problem so I got a new hard drive, did a fresh install and same shit. During our vocal recording session yesterday it must have shut down (in mid flow) and least 15 times which was sodding frustrating. I am as sure as I can be that it is not a virus and my anti virus s/w is up to date and I have even scanned whilst in safe mode to no avail (it was a good idea Beds!).

My old man who builds and maintains pc's said he has had 5 calls from clients like this in the last couple of weeks, anyone know anything about this before I am forced to systematically replace every bit of hardware in my machine?

Cheers

Dingo

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 31/47             07-Feb-04  @  06:58 PM   -   RE: PC Shutdown - aaaarrggghhh

roller8

Link?: Link

Take care with that latest driver thing with ATI. The last batch of drivers are all Catalyst drivers. I would install the Catalyst 3.8 and wait on the later versions for now. Unless the XP driver does you right.

I hate to add that XP uses a lot more resources than Win2k. You can run Logic 5.5 on Win2k nicely. If you decide to stick with XP then make sure it is "XP Pro" and if you kill the pretty graphics desktop you'll be running on one of the most stable OS's I've seen since DOS.

Good luck.

Message 32/47             08-Feb-04  @  02:56 AM   -   RE: PC Shutdown - aaaarrggghhh

sitar

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error?

That's the error message I was talking about. Don't know if this has all been resolved in the meantime. Type that into google and you'll come up with tons of discussions on the matter and it seems different solutions eventually work for different people and nobody has the answer, at least as of several months ago.

Message 33/47             08-Feb-04  @  12:25 PM   -   RE: PC Shutdown - aaaarrggghhh

Dingostema

Well, all seems well now. I have a genuine xp rpo copy!! All updates from MS too.

Have new Catalyst 4.1 drivers for the graphics and new Hoonie drivers to boot.

Seems stable as hell right now. Thanks for the help chaps.

Dingo

Message 34/47             09-Feb-04  @  04:06 AM   -   RE: PC Shutdown - aaaarrggghhh

Garuna

I'm having the same problem now. Very upsetting. My blue screen mentioned drivers and a "dump error". Will follow the advice in this thread, clean house and install xp pro w. service pack 2. Oughta do it.

Message 35/47             09-Feb-04  @  09:19 AM   -   RE: PC Shutdown - aaaarrggghhh

Dingostema

Garuna,

Its the only way mate. I've never had a machine that was this stable before. The painful process of build, then rebuild, then rebuild, then rebuild etc was becoming a joke. I installed so many essential downloads this time for xp pro that my c drive ended up over 3 gig without any other applications! It just feels solid now. result.

One thing though, Once I had the machine up and running, with XP (fully up to date) and only the drivers installed, I made an image copy that I am keeping safe. If I ever load a dodgy app that screw up my machine, I can just burn back the drive image and other than re installing software again( which is a minor pain) I know I have a solid OS waiting for me that will only take 10 mins to copy back. Power Quest Drive Image 7 was great for this too.

Dingo

Message 36/47             09-Feb-04  @  09:34 AM   -   RE: PC Shutdown - aaaarrggghhh

Garuna

Good thinking. I got a new hard drive yesterday. I will install xp and carefully ad my new updated software and make sure drivers are working before i ad more. Man it felt good fomatting the old hard drive. "You will erase all contents.... Are you sure you wan"YES YES ERaaaASE

Message 37/47             09-Feb-04  @  10:25 AM   -   RE: PC Shutdown - aaaarrggghhh

Dingostema

Find a copy of Drive Image 7 mate, well worth it. It is fast, safe and it works in windows (unlike Norton Ghost which is a DOS program).

If your system is set up like mine, where you have a program drive with your os and apps, and then a seperate data drive (audio, projects etc) then it makes real sense to burn an image copy of the program drive in case you ever install a VST or something that just makes your machine go mental!

Dingo

Message 38/47             10-Feb-04  @  05:52 AM   -   RE: PC Shutdown - aaaarrggghhh

psylichon

I try to keep several images backed up based on incremental installs. So I'll have a"clean install," an "emergency apps only" sorta thing, and a "fully loaded" images all handy when needed. Easier to do with a DVD burner.

Message 39/47             10-Feb-04  @  09:21 AM   -   RE: PC Shutdown - aaaarrggghhh

Garuna

I'm going to take my chances and just make sure I have proper drivers. Means I can get too comfy with files on a drive in case I have to evacuate and format. That's okay.

Message 40/47             10-Feb-04  @  09:36 AM   -   RE: PC Shutdown - aaaarrggghhh

Dingostema

Garuna,

Dont you have a drive that is purely dedicated to just your operating system and your applications?

Dingo

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

There are 47 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)