aaa I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :( - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Original Message                 Date: 08-May-02  @  06:31 PM     Edit: 08-May-02  |  07:11 PM   -   I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

Zink

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Why do people think I'm a DJ when I say that I produce dance music? The countless people that don't get it really pisses me off... Arrgghhh!!

I really don't understand how they can get the two things confused. They even think I scratch records!!!

I'm not just talking about just the totally clueless people, but even some of the raver kids get things confused.

Why is techno production such a dark and confusing art to outsiders??

And another thing is the 'Proper' musicians who look down on what we do seem to think that we just use presets and string them together. Maybe this is because their only experience of electronic music is those awful Yamaha PSR keyboards?

I took a real sceptic into my studio and showed him what I do - Write, Compose, Sequence, Record sounds, Route effects, create original patches, mix and finally master.

His head really spun and I think he gained a new found respect for me.

Anybody else feel this way?? Anybody??? Anyone??

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 31/66             10-May-02  @  03:48 PM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

proximus

Link?: Link

",which isn't a problem until they grow up to be world leaders and such, as is their american-born given right."

You've been reading too much Dilbert lately  

Message 32/66             10-May-02  @  04:02 PM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

xoxos

not likely!  

Message 33/66             10-May-02  @  04:59 PM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

errata

Don't take me the wrong way. I don't mean to say that producers should be taken more seriously, or that you or I should care. Just that for the most part electronic musicians ARE more producer less musician (in a traditional sense). And that speaks volumes to ignorant people who don't know better.

errata

Message 34/66             10-May-02  @  05:11 PM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

dj hans

my hovercraft is full of eels.

Message 35/66             10-May-02  @  05:13 PM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

Zink

Just to point out - I'm not bashing DJ's in any way - I understand what they do is an art form and a lot of producers owe a lot to them for the exposure.

So, it appears to be a world wide idiot problem, not just USA.

:D

Message 36/66             10-May-02  @  05:34 PM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

Drop

What was the question again?

Message 37/66             10-May-02  @  10:09 PM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

dru

Link?:  Link

Those who don't take a moment to see things through the eyes of others will always inferiorate the purpose of others..

I struggle each day to refine my musical expressions and technical production skills- yet even people so close as my wife don't really comprehend the amount of ingenuity and pure effort that electronic music production requires.

Hell, before I dove into this stuff- I didn't have a clue that things were so detailed in every sense of the word. Every single sound is so much a product of your expression. I guess beforehand I probably thought it was all about some samples, a few effects, and good arrangement.

But I usually share my accomplishments with friends (even musically inclined friends)- and I can tell from their reactions that they don't really fathom the difficulty involved in pulling this stuff from my mind and materializing it...

I can be totally emphatic and they'll just look at me with this complacent sort of bewilderment. "What's he all excited bout? That track wasn't ALL THAT!"

Skrew'em.

I like DT. All my best friends that I'll never meet.. the irony!

Message 38/66             10-May-02  @  10:45 PM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

influx

". I guess beforehand I probably thought it was all about some samples, a few effects, and good arrangement."

how funny that often this is just the case?

Message 39/66             10-May-02  @  11:12 PM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

pedant

aye aye aye

"I struggle each day to refine my musical expressions and technical production skills- yet even people so close as my wife don't really comprehend the amount of ingenuity and pure effort that electronic music production requires."

yeah but the way that we can all agree here is to stop making generalisations.

"I struggle each day to refine my musical expressions and technical production skills- yet even people so close as my wife don't really comprehend the amount of ingenuity and pure effort that MY electronic music production requires."

there that's better  

but you're right anyway, dru, just using you as an example. would you lot stop bloody lumping me in with sitar and influx's noisy bonk-bnk drum music? two different hovercrafts.

Message 40/66             11-May-02  @  12:14 AM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

Hydrofonix

The worst is I'll say "I produce electronic music"
and the person says "oh who do you produce?" Like I'm some f**king asshole that drives my brand new BMW to the studio, says "good work guys" touches a couple nobs on a mixing board, says "the bass is taking from the vocals" and leaves to go play golf or f**k my model wife in my mansion. ITs like damn it people, Producers make the rave scene happen, DJ's are up there putting on records then talking and drinking there martini's while I'm in the trenches dedicating every ounce of my being towards making a record that some dick can play and get credit for.But I think fault lies not in the DJ's but the people who don't know or care enough to find out... Thats why I'm gonna change things, you'll see.......

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

There are 66 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)