aaa Will a Sampler Fullfill my 909 needs? - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

05-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Will a Sampler Fullfill my 909 needs?

Viewing all 41 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3 4 5

Original Message 1/41             03-Sep-98  @  10:33 PM   -   Will a Sampler Fullfill my 909 needs?

hmfoster

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Hi. A Sampler will provide me with adequate 909
BassDrums and Hats, right? I don't care if can't
mess with the parameters as much as on a Real 909 or Drumstation. I have only CS1x and the 909 samples are a bit weak.(I've heard this before from others as well. I would rather put my money
towards a sampler rather than a Drumstation.
Jon

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/41             04-Sep-98  @  08:48 AM   -   RE: Will a Sampler Fullfill my 909 needs?

Richie

I have a drumstation but if you have choice between that or a sampler go for the sampler, make sure you get one with individual output though. You want to separate that kick from the rest of the sounds on your desk.

Plus with a sampler you can get some nifty kicks / sounds by layering kicks and stuff.

Message 3/41             04-Sep-98  @  04:59 PM   -   RE: Will a Sampler Fullfill my 909 needs?

Alex

anything of emu will be kick ass... especially e-max, e64 e4...

Message 4/41             04-Sep-98  @  07:46 PM   -   RE: Will a Sampler Fullfill my 909 needs?

hmfoster

I guess having the bass drum on its own mixer channel is
very important, but what if I just EQ'd the Bass drum
Sample with Soundforge or any other sample editor?
I'm just wondering IF I'm gonna be sorry I didn't get
the multiple outputs. Jon

Message 5/41             04-Sep-98  @  10:16 PM   -   RE: Will a Sampler Fullfill my 909 needs?

Purple Haze

Well, if you get one with separate outs, you will be able to eq the kick realtime while your track is playing so you can hear at once if it fits or not, twiddle with it untill it's more or less what you want. Imagine having to dump the sample to soundforge and back to the sampler everytime you want to make some changes to the eq, you loose too much time, might get frustrated with it and wham, there goes your creative inspired moment.
Also if you put it on a separate out, you can also apply separate effects to it while your track is going, hearing how everything sounds together while tweaking stuff on your mixer.

go for a sampler with a bunch of separate outs if you allaready have a mixer, if not then still do it and save some money for that mixer or buy a cheap behringer one, you won't regret it (I didn't).

For your drum and percussion satisfaction, think about the roland W30, it's got 8 separate outs. Ok, it's got only 12 bits/30000Hz (or 15000 if you want), but some might see this as an advantage, and you can put a whole bunch of drum samples in the 1mb memory. It goes for about half the price of a 2nd hand S2000 with 8 extra outs around here. Just an idea.

Message 6/41             05-Sep-98  @  12:00 AM   -   RE: Will a Sampler Fullfill my 909 needs?

xoxos

Link?:  Link

the only links i know to them (unless kilo's got some to them) are on akai's page (under support) but if you get a sampler and download freeware like drumsynth or stomper it's a good start.

xoxos.

Message 7/41             05-Sep-98  @  12:06 PM   -   RE: Will a Sampler Fullfill my 909 needs?

rouge

For fucks sake! What do yoa want them 909 drums for?
They're the absolute shit! They sound totally pathetic comapared to a real drum-kit - you don't get any punch-in-the-face snares with a 909 kit. Zzzzzzzzzz

Message 8/41             05-Sep-98  @  02:35 PM   -   RE: Will a Sampler Fullfill my 909 needs?

kilo

er..... yes rouge..... take your tablets mate

Message 9/41             05-Sep-98  @  06:00 PM   -   RE: Will a Sampler Fullfill my 909 needs?

buggo

a 909 kick can be used to good effect to augment another kick...as an only kick, unless you're strictly four-on-the-floor, it doesn't really cut it...and the snare SUCKS!!!!

Message 10/41             05-Sep-98  @  06:59 PM   -   RE: Will a Sampler Fullfill my 909 needs?

hmfoster

Thanks for the advice guys. I was planning on going for
something a bit more expensive. Right now I am so stuck
between the A3000 and the Esi4000(w/turbo board, of course) Somebody please push me over the edge.
Jon

Message 11/41             06-Sep-98  @  02:35 AM   -   RE: Will a Sampler Fullfill my 909 needs?

xoxos

can't do that, but i have to concur... 909 snares are total crap.

xoxos.

Message 12/41             07-Sep-98  @  10:29 AM   -   RE: Will a Sampler Fullfill my 909 needs?

Richie

?????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It all depends upon how you process the 909 snare don't it.

Do you usualy use all your drum sounds flat or something??

How many dance tracks have you heard (in a dance club) where a snare roll got the crowd going and it was'nt a 909? People recognise those sounds now whether they admit it or not. A 909 snare/kick at 2000K plus shits, and I mean SHITS all over a drum kit.

If it's not 909/808 it's not dance.....

;-) (note the winkey)

Richie

Message 13/41             07-Sep-98  @  02:44 PM   -   RE: Will a Sampler Fullfill my 909 needs?

xoxos

being sampler based, there are so many damn good snares out there (love the ones on this site %^) ) to me the 909 sounds kinda spasmo, like someone was listening to too much drum machine snares when they made it.

i guess when you start processing, there's a lot you can do with anything.. personally i luv those ones straight off the 808, but the 9 ain't a classic as is, which is just a shame.

finga on the trigga,

xoxos.

Message 14/41             07-Sep-98  @  06:56 PM   -   RE: Will a Sampler Fullfill my 909 needs?

rouge

I honestly don't believe its possible to get a 'decent' lively sound out of the 909 snare! Its just totally dead to my ears but I agree the bass-drum can be cool if used correctly in the mix and with a different snare drum!

Message 15/41             07-Sep-98  @  07:44 PM   -   RE: Will a Sampler Fullfill my 909 needs?

buggo

the 606 has a great snare.

Message 16/41             07-Sep-98  @  11:46 PM   -   RE: Will a Sampler Fullfill my 909 needs?

Sedusa

I personally don't like the 606 snare.. I think that the 909 snare sucks for lots of things, but it's killer for other.. Like, rolls, and sitting on top of the 2 and 4 kicks.. yum. And actually, besides the cowbell, the snares on the 808 are the only thing I don't like about it.. Ah, fuck all yall, I'm gonna press a record with only a 626 (I AM kidding})

Message 17/41             07-Sep-98  @  11:50 PM   -   RE: Will a Sampler Fullfill my 909 needs?

buggo

yeh, i've heard people raving about the 808 cowbell. eugh. it blows.

Message 18/41             08-Sep-98  @  02:31 AM   -   RE: Will a Sampler Fullfill my 909 needs?

kilo

wel it all depends what your doing huh??... i mean 606 is making a big showing in R'n' B right now for a while.... and it's a cracking snare thru a mixer cranked up with maybe a tad of compression to crack it some... the hatz are absolute killer .... bit of a weedy kik for tru tho... as for the 909 snare it can be well tweaked on an original.... tightened up alot.... doesnt have to be that loose weak version... and adding some comp at about 5-9/1 with a slow attck & fast decay wacks any snare up a bit.... plus layering too, i like to layer the 909 with a pitched up 808 or straight 606, or mmaybe a real thin rimshot snare to give it more crack....

the point is... with a sampler infinate kits with total variety are the order of the lunch.... you can have 10 layered kiks, and 8 layered snares as an entree, and a multi-kit salad to follow, followed by a breakbeat loop desert

Message 19/41             08-Sep-98  @  12:23 PM   -   RE: Will a Sampler Fullfill my 909 needs?

Floatpoint$hotmail.com

What a corny discussion this is guys... realy !

To the guy thinkin bout buyin either a Yamaha or Emu sampler....

Choose the Emu one !

Dont know about future support for the Y one....

The rest of ya all - GET A LIFE !

How can you spend your free time discussing whether one should op for a 909 or an 808
bd ????

Fuck, it's all up to what kind of music you make...
And after reading your discussions I've come to the conclusion that ya all must be a bunch
of fagots who needs to grow up.

Anyone released anything on com CD ?..... Didn't think so...

Blargh.....

Message 20/41             08-Sep-98  @  07:28 PM   -   RE: Will a Sampler Fullfill my 909 needs?

rouge

Hey - I'm 6 years old and I am a faggot - I'll continue to discuss 808 bassdrums as I please!

Message 21/41             08-Sep-98  @  09:46 PM   -   RE: Will a Sampler Fullfill my 909 needs?

Sedusa

Yup, you've found us out.. We're secretly gay children.. This "Dancetech" nonsense is just a clever ruse to confuse the straights.. Anyhow, fuck you. We're free to discuss the relative merits of different analog snares.. And it obviously holds interest for some of us.. And our relative success? many of us are working hard to make that a reality.. And discussing differences between beatboxes doesn't hurt that any.. I come here to kick around ideas and trade nuggets of information with other musicians in my genre.. and if you don't like it, sir, you can go dance to the Macarena for all I care hehe...

Message 22/41             09-Sep-98  @  10:30 AM   -   RE: Will a Sampler Fullfill my 909 needs?

Floatpoint

Hmmm.... discussin' bd's must lead to a lot of ideas.... realy creative !
If you discussed how to transform say an 808 bd to somethin else, I would be happy to
give this chat some credit. But you're just jidderin' 'bout whether a 909 is better than
an 808 or whatever...
Pointless discussion....
To HM. Foster - Try out all the software emulators on the PC.
For example Stomper. Delivers earth-shakin kicks.
Then use for example Drumstation to make up loops of wav-files.
I have almost stoped using my samplers for drums... (have a FZ and an ASR10).
If you have a fast PC with good software and a descent soundcard, it will take care of
all your 909 needs.
It all comes down to the software.....
To the rest of ya all - STOP JIDDERIN' AND MAKE SOME MUSIC !

Message 23/41             10-Sep-98  @  09:33 AM   -   RE: Will a Sampler Fullfill my 909 needs?

Richie

Well yeah, but all the points above about whether we should argue or not....

Well it's arguing as far as I'm concerned, when the only drum machine I had heard of was 909 I had an argument with a mate and he was gunning for 808, 808? I said whats that... You learn from these arguments don't ya. 808 cowbell sucks. But I lurve my drumstation, And hey look this is a discussion page! I never realised!

Kilo is right!! On a 909 or a drumstation the snare is tweakable to extremes, as flabby or tight as you want it. So there. :-)

Ok here is something you can try when you get your sampler, get a 909 kick sampled, layer it with a 909 snare but filter out the snare so your just getting the punchiness of the bass. If you don't like it at least it will get you thinking of other sounds you can layer for different effects.

There you go, food for thought.

Message 24/41             10-Sep-98  @  03:02 PM   -   RE: Will a Sampler Fullfill my 909 needs?

xoxos

well i'm not so much interested in dialectic as i am in calling other people faggots %6)
i really don't like the 909 and if i were about to spend a few hundred dollars, i'd want a drum machine that could do some decent, well rounded snares, but that's just my opinion, and i only know the 909 from recordings and samples.
i have a friend that wants to get started on pc, but w/o spending any money. they're mucking about with my bassstation and stomper, so i've got two questions:
1) does anyone know of a free .wav sequencing/tracker utility? what's this drumstation thing, and where do i get it?
2) has anyone ever had any success trying to midi sync a freeware or even shareware tracker? a lot of them claim to do so, but no one i've spoken with has successfully implemented one as such.

909 snare sucks nya nya
xoxos.

Message 25/41             10-Sep-98  @  03:14 PM   -   RE: Will a Sampler Fullfill my 909 needs?

Richie

xoxoxoxoxoxos why the F**K do you wan't a drumstation if you don't like the 909 drums!! IT DONT MAKE SENSE!

Message 26/41             10-Sep-98  @  03:49 PM   -   RE: Will a Sampler Fullfill my 909 needs?

bill

he talking 'bout d-lusion software drumstation i believe.....

Message 27/41             10-Sep-98  @  04:22 PM   -   RE: Will a Sampler Fullfill my 909 needs?

Richie

Aaaah...

All become clear as glass.

Message 28/41             10-Sep-98  @  08:39 PM   -   RE: Will a Sampler Fullfill my 909 needs?

Penguin

What drum machine do you recon is best for big beat &
drum & bass ? Is there any advantages over using my
S2000 and sample cd's ?

Message 29/41             11-Sep-98  @  03:20 AM   -   RE: Will a Sampler Fullfill my 909 needs?

xoxos

right about the drumstation duality. but actually i want a novation too. it's the 808 you see, the 808.

just to blather on and on, since i still don't understand what drums n bass 'isn't,' i'd luv an 808 for the utility, but stylistically speaking, the groove is whereever you find it, and great drum sounds are just a tweak away from a guff in a cheap condenser mic. styles tend to be impressions created for marketing more than quality programming.

xoxos.

still want a lead on this loop or sequencing making program! (i have a broke friend w/ pc)

Message 30/41             11-Sep-98  @  05:14 AM   -   RE: Will a Sampler Fullfill my 909 needs?

xoxos

it's the 4-horse, george, the 4-horse...

henrietta box.

Message 31/41             11-Sep-98  @  05:43 AM   -   RE: Will a Sampler Fullfill my 909 needs?

buggo

oh, just heard an excellent example of a weak 909 snare that sounds GOOD, believe it or not...cuz it's layered with a clicky jungle-snare thing...check prodigy's "their law"...in fact all I hear on that track is 909 stuff, maybe liam actually used a (gasp) 909 instead of samples!!

(what the hell is that guy's last name?)

Message 32/41             11-Sep-98  @  08:58 AM   -   RE: Will a Sampler Fullfill my 909 needs?

Richie

xoxoxos, depends what you want out of the 808 drums. Is it worth buying a novation just for that? I will admit that I only use about 8 or so sounds of the nov. drumstation that includes 808/909. I never use the conga's, cowbell, 808 toms, 909 clap, 808 cymbals, 808 hihats, 808 rimshot, I hardly ever use the tweakability of the thing (maybe for the 909 snare). But since snare builds went out of fashion I don't even use the knobs for that now.

In fact, last night I was thinking that maybe I would be better off selling it and using the cash for a sampler with lots of outs.

Which brings this thread back to the original subject.

You can do stuff with samples that you can't do with just a novation.. like phasing snares. filtering (unless you have an external filter).

Hmmm... I think I am going to sell mine after all.

Message 33/41             11-Sep-98  @  09:06 AM   -   RE: Will a Sampler Fullfill my 909 needs?

bill

you don't need a drumstation for 808 stuff either - you can get by with some other cheaper modules (all depends how far you want to go into tweakability i guess). but i just got a roland mvs1 (which is their vintage synth card for the jv1080 in a module) for really cheap - it has pretty good drum sounds - all of which you can edit to pieces with an appropriate editor. and you get millions of old analog-synth samples as well - very nice little toy....

buggo - liam howlett - if that's what you were asking

Message 34/41             11-Sep-98  @  02:45 PM   -   RE: Will a Sampler Fullfill my 909 needs?

xoxos

actually the stuff on kilo's 2nd link 808's me to my 808 heart's content. just the time saving thing of not having to export the desired samples. richie next time you're in tucson drop by and i'll buy yer drumstation..

do any of you people know 'storm the studio' by mbm? future music said they only sold 1000 copies. zoiks. well the world is a safer place for it.

xoxos.

Message 35/41             11-Sep-98  @  03:03 PM   -   RE: Will a Sampler Fullfill my 909 needs?

Richie

Where's Tucson ??

Just thought of something with the novation drumstation tho, If I sell it then I'm losing the 6 separate outputs for the kick/hh/ride/808clap etc are'nt I...

Shit,, now I think I'll keep it AND get a sampler. Oh blimey.

Anyone lend me 500 quids????

Message 36/41             12-Sep-98  @  03:47 PM   -   RE: Will a Sampler Fullfill my 909 needs?

buggo

aah yes, howlett...i see...i am a fool...

Message 37/41             14-Sep-98  @  10:22 AM   -   RE: Will a Sampler Fullfill my 909 needs?

Floatpoint

Why not try my version...
Use your PC as a drummachine.
Easy to process the samples in different progs,
for different fx and such.
And yes, I was talkin bout the proggy, not the machine

The machine (drumstation) is quite limited...

But ok, the analogue feel and all that... (well its not analogue anyway)
EQ is a vital element in the process...
If you're good you can compensate for the analogue loss
with other machines...

Message 38/41             14-Sep-98  @  11:22 AM   -   RE: Will a Sampler Fullfill my 909 needs?

bill

ah. but can you run three drum loops on different channels of your mixer - cutting between them, adding fx as and when you will - at the same time as a bassline and a couple of samples looping? samplers are better for drums in my opinion cos you've got multi-audio-out mostly. but then, i guess you could get a darla card - but they cost more than an emax...

Message 39/41             15-Sep-98  @  08:50 AM   -   RE: Will a Sampler Fullfill my 909 needs?

floatpoint

If the drum progs u use have built in fx (like drumstation). U wont need any other processing.
Or u can add the fx in progs like VST or any Sample editing proggy like Cool edit.
U can get software reverbs (TC Electronics) for instance,
for free (?) instead of paying 1000 quid for a similiar
hardware box.
If u want separate fx you just split the samplings up
and import them into VST one by one.
Not that I mind samplers... I have several as mentioned before... but if you're on a budget, the software version is a good alternative.
And when it comes to noise, the software solution outclasses the harware one greatly.
You don't have to go through noisy mixers,cables,fx boxes and such...it is all dunne strictly digitaly.

Message 40/41             15-Sep-98  @  09:10 AM   -   RE: Will a Sampler Fullfill my 909 needs?

bill

"if you're on a budget, the software version is a good alternative". maybe. but that all depends on whether you have a good-ish pc in the first place to run the stuff and a decent soundcard for the sounds.

say your pc cost you 600quid and your soundcard 100quid. for 700 you could get an atari with cubase for sequencing (100/150), an emax for sampling and master keys (200), an fb01 for fm-synthesis (50), a d110/u110 for background sounds and extra poly (100), a cheap s/h mixer (100), a microverb for reverb (50), a delay pedal/boss half-rack for delay (50). and there's loads of atari-editors for the modules you got...

i reckon i'd rather have that basic setup than a pc and a soundcard.

Message 41/41             15-Sep-98  @  04:10 PM   -   RE: Will a Sampler Fullfill my 909 needs?

Rodsta

Ok all,

Bottom line is:

1. 10 zillion dance records using 909 or 808 snares have delivered good times to countless people.

2. These things are fucking versatile. Have a listen to Morgan Geist Environ, one of the best fucking techno albums of the last year. It's all 808 and 909. Ditto a lot of other techno.

Have a listen to 4-Hero, Two pages, page two. 808 and 909 on most of these brilliant Drum'n'bass tracks.

Top albums, different genres, same drum machines.

3. A sampler will never give you the real time basic parameter tweakability that an original or modeller such as the drumstation, quasimidi or jomox will give. Then again the sampler will give you effects and probably filtering of the drums which not all the boxes give. Whether this matters hugely or not one iota in any given track is another issue.

Viewing all 41 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3 4 5

There are 41 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)