aaa prodigy Experience drum sound - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

09-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: prodigy Experience drum sound

Viewing all 41 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3 4 5

Original Message 1/41             29-Aug-03  @  02:17 PM   -   prodigy Experience drum sound

shpeck

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

hi,

i've been listening endlessly to prodigy's album 'experience', and trying to copy its drum sound but with no luck. i can't quite describe with words the sound of the drum loops in the album, so im hoping someone who's familiar with the album knows how to create such a sound, and might explain it to me.

thanks a lot
shpeck

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/41             29-Aug-03  @  03:46 PM   -   RE: prodigy Experience drum sound

PB

Oldskool breakbeat style drumprog? Yeah experience was one of my favs.

Message 3/41             29-Aug-03  @  08:41 PM   -   RE: prodigy Experience drum sound

Hydrofonix

Link?: Link

I think he might use breaks samples to go along with his own programmed beat. I heard he used some breaks off a "jungle Warfare" sample CD for Firestarter. Can't remember where I heard that though, so not sure if its true.....

Message 4/41             29-Aug-03  @  10:05 PM     Edit: 29-Aug-03  |  10:11 PM   -   RE: prodigy Experience drum sound

BluStudio

it had all went tits up by firestarter tho (they lost the 'experience' sound and went all bullshit crossover for the u.s ), ya might need to just record/rip the tracks into a sound editing prog and spend a bit of time cutting and splicing to make your own sample set. (will prolly take a good few sessions)

might take a while and some carefull listening to hear parts where some samples solo for split seconds but can be done and then youll beable to programm yer own beats with those style samples.

dunno if thats the type of answer you were looking for as opossed to a guide on how to eq/create these for youreself but at the end of the day 99% of the stuff on that album was sampled anyway so dont feel bad  

blu

Message 5/41             29-Aug-03  @  10:14 PM     Edit: 29-Aug-03  |  10:16 PM   -   RE: prodigy Experience drum sound

BluStudio

actually just thinkin,

there was a guy who did a track a couple of months back with some fuckin wicked prodigy experience style beats, think it was called 'furious' or something.

try searching for - prodigy & furious in the tracks forum and have a listen to it - mebbe he can tell you what he did or be good enough to give a few pointers.

blu

Message 6/41             31-Aug-03  @  11:47 AM   -   RE: prodigy Experience drum sound

mp

I think Prodigy originally used just one sampler keyboard - Roland W something, with 12 bit sample depth. That could have been one reason for a crunchy grainy sound.

Message 7/41             31-Aug-03  @  12:56 PM   -   RE: prodigy Experience drum sound

steve

if you search hard enough, jawa once wrote made an excellent post about just this - it's basically chopped breaks with syndrum sounds layered underneath and a heavy does of compressions. do a search anyway, it's all there.

Message 8/41             31-Aug-03  @  02:03 PM   -   RE: prodigy Experience drum sound

lsw

Yes Experience was mostly all wrote on a Roland W-30.Its a
12bit sampling workstation with 16 track sequencer.
I have one for sale if u want it.... 

Message 9/41             31-Aug-03  @  02:19 PM   -   RE: prodigy Experience drum sound

Fierze [of Centurion]

That would be me. The track is called Ruffcut (will be renamed when I come up with something better though), and yes, I have given some pointers on how to make creative breaks in a private mail to shpeck. The hardest part is to find good loops to f*ck up I guess, after that it's all experimenting. Anyway, Cheers for the compliment Blu  

Message 10/41             31-Aug-03  @  02:57 PM   -   RE: prodigy Experience drum sound

Stuff

File?:  [image]

[image file]

the Experience-breakbeats are TR-909, sampled and chopped up beats (mainly from old hip-hop/funk records). Sampled on Roland W-30 (yes! the drums sounds RAW on a 12-bit sampler like W30) & Akai S1100. And.. ALOT of talent and skills.

Here's a nice interview about equipment (1993!) with the (former?) genius of Liam Howlett.
REALLY intresting wether you're into The Prodigy's stuff or not!

Message 11/41             31-Aug-03  @  03:06 PM   -   RE: prodigy Experience drum sound

Stuff

Link?:  Link

[image file]

part 2

Message 12/41             31-Aug-03  @  03:09 PM   -   RE: prodigy Experience drum sound

Stuff

[image file]

part 3

Message 13/41             31-Aug-03  @  03:12 PM   -   RE: prodigy Experience drum sound

Stuff

[image file]

ok done! fucking nice, isn't it?  

Message 14/41             31-Aug-03  @  05:13 PM   -   RE: prodigy Experience drum sound

j-type

nice one! hadn't seen that for years, ah the memories....

Message 15/41             31-Aug-03  @  07:05 PM   -   RE: prodigy Experience drum sound

dan-s

back in the days when fm was readable. 10 years!!! OMG!!!

Message 16/41             01-Sep-03  @  03:34 AM   -   RE: prodigy Experience drum sound

djrandomchancelogik

Hi, thanks SO much for remembering Prodigy! They just phuckin own. Also thanks a lot for posting that magazine article. To think, I was just listening to Leftfield's "Inspection (Check One)" this morning.. awesome stuff my friends, keep up the good memories, and maybe one day, one of us will rise and become famous, and we can look back here where we started =)

~Logik

Message 17/41             01-Sep-03  @  04:03 PM   -   RE: prodigy Experience drum sound

djrandomchancelogik

Another thing about Prodigy: Supposedly they have been working on another album to follow Fat of the Land, named "Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned". I have absolutely NO idea when this is comin out but this album has been in the works since 1998. Keith Flint has been busy with Unkle as of late, so I can understand the lag in getting the album out.

The last eArticle I read was three months ago, it had a full track listing of all the songs and who was involved in each song. So.. I personally think it should be out at the end of this year, or the beginning of '04... let's hope shall we?

~Logik

Message 18/41             01-Sep-03  @  04:43 PM   -   RE: prodigy Experience drum sound

dARKSTATe

I heard a rumour that they'd recorded an album's worth of material, released a single "Baby's got a Temper" thought it was crap, scrapped the lot and went back to the drawing board...

Liam Howlett goin' out with that bird from Allsaints can't have helped his creativity either...

Message 19/41             01-Sep-03  @  08:18 PM   -   RE: prodigy Experience drum sound

Hydrofonix

Ah,ha! Did you see in the part where he's explaining his gear? He says he uses a dat for backing because playing everything live would be impossible without four operators! I knew it. I wrote a post about a month back rambling that after months of planning I couldn't figure out a live setup with as much as my songs change up. I saw his live show at lollapalooza and it still f**king rocked the packed stadium. So perhaps I've finally found my answer after searching all this time.....

Message 20/41             01-Sep-03  @  09:33 PM   -   RE: prodigy Experience drum sound

influx

youre surprised?

99% of "live" electronic music is pre-recorded. I mean..."duh"

serious...of COURSE it is, in SOME way...but its still nice to have it via MIDI or some way to be able to change it up...

Message 21/41             03-Sep-03  @  12:58 AM   -   RE: prodigy Experience drum sound

swanofnever

man.. now i'm really depressed -- i just sold my w30!!! noooooooooooooooooo!!!!

sigh..

when i heard (a while ago) about him using a w30 to sequence, i was doubly impressed -- that thing's sequencer is the precursor to the xp-50/etc. seqs.. not very fun.

sigh.....

raigan

Message 22/41             03-Sep-03  @  02:30 AM   -   RE: prodigy Experience drum sound

queasy00

hahah..
i thought you knew about that whole prodigy thing and his w30.

i was actually gonna brign it up but... well....

anyway.

-j

Message 23/41             03-Sep-03  @  03:12 AM   -   RE: prodigy Experience drum sound

Hydrofonix

I'm not suprised, just assured.... I knew Fatboy Slim used a DAT, I actually heard nothing is live in his setup he just pretends by turning knobs but then again thats just what I've heard. The thing is I haven't really been to any live electronic acts and when I read an article in URB about a live show they don't really elaborate about the actual setup.

Message 24/41             03-Sep-03  @  01:31 PM   -   RE: prodigy Experience drum sound

Stuff

a sound engineer for Chemical Brothers said that the only thing he had to connect to the PA mixer was the cable from the DAT..
i'm dissapointed because it really looked like they were twiddling seriously, with the tons of gear they brought when i saw 'em.

more midi please   or at least a multi track recorder.

Message 25/41             03-Sep-03  @  02:20 PM     Edit: 03-Sep-03  |  02:20 PM   -   RE: prodigy Experience drum sound

Maarten

As long as I do not hear such things about Orbital I will not cry over these things  

Message 26/41             03-Sep-03  @  03:50 PM   -   RE: prodigy Experience drum sound

queasy00

don't they feel kinda lame standing up there twiddling knobs that have no effect?

actually... i recall reading a post from pongoid once where he said that they did it for some other reason... something like to cover their ass in case something goes wrong..

i really can't remember though so i might be confused.

-j

Message 27/41             03-Sep-03  @  08:02 PM   -   RE: prodigy Experience drum sound

djrandomchancelogik

Underworld is one of the few techno bands that actually live mixes most of time, and only has the main stuff looped over and over. And well... if ya consider Moby as electronica.. then I guess you could count him to *funny look*

Message 28/41             03-Sep-03  @  10:13 PM   -   RE: prodigy Experience drum sound

errata

I've heard this a thousand times before... I'm no fan of Crystal Method so it didn't break my heart when I saw them tweaking knobs that didn't seem to be doing anything...

And just because these huge acts do it doesn't make it OK... fact is they're paid obscene amounts of money to appear (well, obscene in relation to most live electronic acts) and if they have a f+ck up they can't afford to gloss over it!!! Too many peeps looking for it... but yeah, chemicals DO use DAT and not their gear, so screw them too!

I've been playing out for years, and I've never used DAT, or multi-track audio... My sets are pretty convoluted and have plenty of tempo changes and live tweaking. I have a friend who makes awesome jungle but won't play out anymore, "Cause they can do on records what I can't do live"! That's bullsh+t and I hear it all the time from these wannabe's who can't be arsed to go out and do it for real!

Playing live takes time, practice and CRAFT! It's always amazing to me that so many FLEM's think they can play out without putting the time and dedication into it that other musicians do!

In short, you do not need DAT/CD/MultiTrack ono stage... DO IT WITH SEQUENCERS... play LIVE music!!!

BAH... Kids these days!!!

e

Message 29/41             03-Sep-03  @  10:44 PM   -   RE: prodigy Experience drum sound

BluStudio

never done or wish to do live stuff meself but have always thought of it like, if you treat the seq/live set-up as an instrument then thats where the awesome show lies.

i.e- if you had a guitar, and practiced playing it every night for a coupla hours for a few years then mebbe you would beable to play a nice confident bit of guitar/band work

or if you had a piano or violin (or whatever i spose), and practiced playing it every night for a coupla hours for a few years then mebbe you would beable to play a nice confident piece to an audience

so similarly if you set up your gear 'live' in the studio and practiced 'playing' it for a coupla hours every night for a few years then you would beable to pull off some blinding shows with confidence no?

problem is thats a lot of hours to put in when you take into account the main part of production/writing work then you'd need to have a pretty exclusive 1 on 1 life with the music and not much else, but, there are of course, as with everything else in life, people who can and will do it, and do it well and fuckin fair play to them when they do.

blu

Message 30/41             03-Sep-03  @  10:57 PM   -   RE: prodigy Experience drum sound

errata

"problem is thats a lot of hours to put in when you take into account the main part of production/writing work then you'd need to have a pretty exclusive 1 on 1 life with the music and not much else"

Right!

I'm not sure it takes every night for years... MIDI is a beautiful monster, and makes things at least fairly easy! But yes, you must PRACTICE your live sets if you want to be good at live sets... All's I'm sayin' is, If you don't care enough to make your set shine, don't show it to everyone else... that's the difference between a good live artist and one of these punks who makes promoters afraid to support live acts!!!

e

Message 31/41             04-Sep-03  @  12:28 AM   -   RE: prodigy Experience drum sound

Stuff

thanks for mentioning the Hartnoll brothers Maarten! I haven't seen Obital but their live performances are awesome to listen to. They're changing loads of stuff in the songs all the time, keeping the arrangement we are accustomed to hearing from their records etc.

So does anyone know (more precisely than me; just thinking 'midi') how Orbital are working on stage??

Message 32/41             04-Sep-03  @  12:36 AM   -   RE: prodigy Experience drum sound

errata

I read somewhere once that they use MMT's... a lot of them, all synced to a sigle clock and running off of a MIDI patchbay! I know in the past they did most of their mutes on the mixer and just pretty much let the sequencers go crazy behind the deck! Takes two to do as much as they do live, but it's do-able to be sure!

Makes sense to me... I use 2 sequencers synced to a 3rd as my master clock and just bounce tracks around and mute in and out while tweaking and playing... works quite well...

DOWN WITH DAT MACHINES...!!!

e

Message 33/41             04-Sep-03  @  01:45 AM   -   RE: prodigy Experience drum sound

BT

Hahahaha, MIDI is a old protocol and I do not use it.

Message 34/41             04-Sep-03  @  01:11 PM   -   RE: prodigy Experience drum sound

§ï†ÅR

I spent most of a few weekends ago listening to Fat of the Land. The bass/kick combo in Diesel Power is simple but awesome sweet. They only have a hat or a shaker or something, I forgot, going on top of it.

Message 35/41             06-Sep-03  @  01:40 AM   -   RE: prodigy Experience drum sound

djrandomchancelogik

Whatever it is, it blows my mind drastically, fantastically.

Message 36/41             06-Sep-03  @  02:09 AM   -   RE: prodigy Experience drum sound

mcc>

it would seem...from what i've observed> that the brothers hartnoll do actually pliddle the ivories here and there live....presumably the easier parts...and the beauty of their music is that as perfect as it is....it also isn't. it's the chaos within that allows it to be so....so...orbital.

dat is fine for the main backing tracks and whatnot....if you don't pretend otherwise. but twiddling knobs which aren't even plugged in is just plain silly....whaddayathink?

Message 37/41             06-Sep-03  @  06:16 AM   -   RE: prodigy Experience drum sound

errata

I think backing tracks can be done with midi... I think backing with a DAT is lame... I hate it when I see it (nowadays it's cd, or those fricken' multi-track HD recorders)

I've rolled around in this mud before... and I always say the same thing... muttermumble... you're not stuck "playing" what you did in the studio if you use MIDI and no DAT... I mean, the song ends when you want it to... or breaks down, moves in a different direction, 'cause that's what the audience wants... none of this can happen when you tie yourself to pre-recorded sh+t on stage...

e

Message 38/41             06-Sep-03  @  05:06 PM   -   RE: prodigy Experience drum sound

BluStudio

i remember seing orbital playing live and when they dropped chime - instead of the big anthem sound everyone was expecting they played the chorus in a razor sharp techno type lead, blew the place away big time- so unexpected but so cool, then of course dropped the beats out and played the chorus sound everyone knew, place went 200% nuts that time.

Message 39/41             07-Sep-03  @  07:04 AM   -   RE: prodigy Experience drum sound

Scott

Wow! Thanks for posting that. I got a chuckle when they mentioned Howlett was "approached by dancers, Keith and Leeroy"... heh!  

Just to clarify: Howlett said in the FM interview that he used (3) W-30's for live samples and playing and the DAT for simultaneous playback of the "main leads". His rationale was that if the MIDI went south, at least his DAT was still going. A hybrid approach - safe yes, but also lame IMO.

And as for that famous duo's use of a DAT for live shows - the supposed rationale was that their record company had to approve everything they were going to play live in advance. Still very, very lame if that's what their fans actually heard.

If I were in that position ("forced" to use a DAT), sure I'd bring along the DAT and even set it running into a mixer and soundcheck it... but when the lights would go down, the mute button for the DAT channel would be engaged, and the faders for the MIDI gear would be brought up to unity gain, and off come the mutes one by one...  

Message 40/41             08-Sep-03  @  06:38 PM   -   RE: prodigy Experience drum sound

errata

right, but I tried to touch on that a little... i can dig that some of these huge names MUST use a DAT when they play... cause they're getting paid a lot of money and in' up may not be an option! Especially if their tours are backed by lables, even electronic lable reps don't always (ever!!!) understand what playing live is about, and they FEAR a drop out... blah blah blah...

MIDI might be a pain, and even limiting (if you're not creative enough with it)... but it's ROCK SOLID, better than any software, I'd say. I'd count on my dedicated hardware runing MIDI before a computer/DAT/CD player any day!

e

Message 41/41             09-Sep-03  @  10:46 AM   -   RE: prodigy Experience drum sound

dubmunkey

i can understand the big acts being worried about relying on midi- spesh if it messes up- can ruin a live reputation, but i still think they should take a chance, if the midi messes up then at least they have a live reputation to loose.....if they rely on dat they cant really have a live reputation at all...

greg

Viewing all 41 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3 4 5

There are 41 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)