aaa more Supernova impressions - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: more Supernova impressions

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/5             17-Aug-98  @  09:20 AM   -   more Supernova impressions

kilo

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

If i had more time, I'd do an RA file of it...(maybe later)... but i've got a little track going round I knocked up on the supernova last night while trying out the -Multitimbrel mode- last night... I grabbed the manual.... thinking ok... here we go.. better get this sorted..... er..... read it once.... "Oh right!!"... that was it!!...... again very simple.... just stick it in programme..... selct a proggie.... re-name it (if required).... and hit one of the 8 part buttons..... choose a sound... hit midi..... select channel.... set level with ...er... Level knob...... but there is some very interesting things...

I grabbed a kik drum sound..... set it to channel/part 2...... and started to tweak.... well, of course, went thru a massive repetoir of different kik drums from the hardest-core gabba to thudding 909 siounding analog and every weird and wonderful thing in between.... and joy-of-fucking-JOYS!!!.... as you tweak a sound in the multi-mode whilst listening to it in a sequence.... it saves the edit when you save the multi-programme !..... oh yes....... that was great..... I got an amazing hi-hat going here too again a tweak edit of a thinner hat... it's a big hat sound... and you can manipulate it just right to sit in the mix decay and tone wise.... couldnt get a good thick hard snare of the type i wanted.. so far..... so i used a drum box snare in the mix.... and that is it... the rest is coming from the nova.. anyways... it's a kik drum paradise this .... and again..... when editing the multisets... its simple... and if you go to edit a sound as you edit the multi... y'know..... grab preset... it starts playing on that channel... "..hmmm..... maybe if i just..."....... and it goes right to edit with no other steps... jst reach to the edit buttons, and it goes there.... yet rememebrs where you are in the multi-set-up mode.... so if you reach for that side... it's still there... and you can skip happily between the two areas...... and fx... the comb filters are pretty awesome for shaping the sound i must say..... so... there ya go..... and you can drop stuff in and out of the mix as it plays with the 8 buttons.... and it's nice cos it shows you the pattern each one is playing as a flashing illuminated part button led... it pulses in the rhythm of the channel it is playing... easy to see which is which in alot of cases.... nice touch, and it saved alot of pratting about to be able to see it like that so clearly......it's a killer kik drum really..... it breathes in and out as it kiks.... but it has masses of punch ....very clean clear sound... excellent .. you can churn out kiks from this thing...

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/5             17-Aug-98  @  09:23 AM   -   RE: more Supernova impressions

Richie

So whens the wedding?

Sorry I'm just green with envy.

Message 3/5             17-Aug-98  @  09:40 AM   -   RE: more Supernova impressions

kilo

i tell you mate.. it's dear... but it does a fuck of alot..... this and a drum box or sampler... and it's all you need i swear... and that is cheap when you thinkl of the small mixer you can get away with if you use the internal Nova fx, and use just stereo out.... add a few drum-box/sampler outs... and it's there..... and that is cheap i think for the amount of stuff it'll do....cos all you have to add is a cheap sampler &/or drumbox and sequencer....anyways... they will drop in price and start to come up secondhand in a while.... look at the price the prophesy started at....... what i want to find out now, is .... is there a way to set up a multi-split programme layer for drums, with like 10 or more different drum edits on a mapped out patch on one channel....really tho... this unit 'd do hip-hop to trance.... drums and synth parts... out of all the kit here, i could do a gig with the sequencer, the nova, the emax, and me old SR16 no probs... I'd choose that setup if i had to pick a few items to keep and chuck the rest away.. oh yes... and the dx100...please lemme have it too !.... that is pretty cheap all in all...... the sound i got here is like a big industrial house/run-dmc/jason nevins thing... stomping and driving... with a wide metalic edged hi-hat on the 2/4 up-beat..... with a few little bits supporting the rhythm... and the emax doing a 909 snare & the Sr16 doing a snare overlay to give it snap and hardedge....

Message 4/5             17-Aug-98  @  10:54 AM   -   RE: more Supernova impressions

Hilevelt

Link?:  Link

A little clarification: when you edit in multi-, it saves directly to a patch or only in that single multi-set?

sr16, yuck, I'll send you some k2000 drum patches if you're really that desperate.

Message 5/5             17-Aug-98  @  07:47 PM   -   RE: more Supernova impressions

kilo

OI VAY MISSIS !!... Y'DON' LIKE ME SR?...... I love it to bitz..... ok... hats are a let down, cos no decay and no electronic hatz.... kiks are pretty crap except for maybe hip-hop realistic kiks... (althiough layering yeilds some ok results..).... but for snares and percussion, it's pretty good for a cheap old tat item.....

yup.... it's fucking awesome... when you edit in a multiset... it saves the preset edits to the presets' patches as they are in the unit.......when you save the whole multi-set ...... and i swear... this is the fastest, most versatile unit i've ever used in my life... or messed with... it is INCREDIBLY fast to use... ideas just flow like water... and i seriously mean it... if i had to, i'd dump the whole lot of kit I've got, and i could live happily with the Nova, emax (or other sampler)... and a drum box maybe with the sequencer.... (yes and the dx100)... seriously.... I definately rate this unit.... it'll cover alot of styles... sounds the biz... and is morphingly creative.......I goit this kik going, and hat, and they are some of the best drum sounds i heard for sound, punch, and subtle undercurrent detail....

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 5 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)