aaa My soundcard is allergic to controllers - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: My soundcard is allergic to controllers

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/5             17-Aug-98  @  11:25 AM   -   My soundcard is allergic to controllers

buggo

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

well the only reason I hooked up my juno 106 to my PC is to control rebirth and....grumph...now it's escalated; i'm on a mission.

the PC won't recognize slider movements, with the exception of the pitch bend stick. My mc300 will accept all slider movements and play 'em back just fine. Neither Cakewalk or Rebirth will recognize slider movements, and I am baffled. (YES, the MIDI switch on the Juno is set to III!!) As I mentioned, it WILL accept bender movements. Won't take patch changes either. And also again....everything works perfect with my hardware sequencer...any tips?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/5             17-Aug-98  @  11:41 AM   -   RE: My soundcard is allergic to controllers

buggo

scratch that.....ok, I guess the sliders send sysex? somehow i thought sysex and controller data were different....maybe on this arcane midi implementation it's different.....anyway how do i get rebirth to respond to it?

Message 3/5             17-Aug-98  @  12:18 PM   -   RE: My soundcard is allergic to controllers

bill

Link?:  Link

sysex and controller data are different. doesn't the 106 send all the slider data via sysex?? in which case, when you record it on the mc300 it would record the sysex and work fine.

but you can't use sysex to control rebirth - not as far as i know anyway - as sysex is System Exclusive - only the 106 interprets its sysex messages as being "move that slider". as opposed to controller data which says "move the slider you have assigned to controller 2" - which is how pitchbend works....

unless you can get some kind of software that'll convert 106 sysex data to midi controller data realtime i think you're not going to be able to use the sliders to control other things like rebirth

cakewalk should record the sysex though - maybe you've got it set so it won't record sysex messages - try messing with the settings (sorry i can't be more helpful there, but i've never really used sysex).

will

Message 4/5             17-Aug-98  @  06:09 PM   -   RE: My soundcard is allergic to controllers

buggo

you're right, that's what I figured. cakewalk only records movements when i set it to receive sysex....isn't that a huge data format? (wouldn't it take massively more disk space than regular controllers?)

Message 5/5             18-Aug-98  @  09:09 AM   -   RE: My soundcard is allergic to controllers

bill

Link?:  Link

yeah, i would imagine that it would take mroe disk space than controllers but that shouldn't be a problem on a pc really - more to the point is that, unlike controllers where you can use the drawing pane under the piano roll to sketch your own sweeps into track in cakewalk, you won't be able to do this with sysex.

you never know though - someone *might* have done a utility that converts 106 sysex to controllers or vice versa?? dunno....

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 5 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)