aaa Mackie HR824 or Event 20/20bas? - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Mackie HR824 or Event 20/20bas?

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/5             24-Mar-04  @  09:46 PM   -   Mackie HR824 or Event 20/20bas?      [Link: Mackie - HR824]

bandiminlg

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I am looking to boost my home recording studio to a level for moderate commercial use. I am a student, thus on a tight budget, and want to begin making extra bucks by way of my passion for recording. So far, I have only recorded my music, friends, etc...nothing for cash! I have read many reviews on near-field monitors and get the impression that I should keep saving a little bit longer and get the Mackie HR824's as opposed to the Event 20/20bas. Is this correct? Also, I've heard that the 824's struggle in the upper-mid range and the 624's have solved that problem... minus the incredible bass response. Is this upper-mid range suffering a valid issue? Should I get the 624's? Just to let you know, I run a digi 002 rack, protools, etc... I appreciate the help!

Thanks,

John

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/5             24-Mar-04  @  09:51 PM   -   RE: Mackie HR824 or Event 20/20bas?

BluStudio

Link?: Link

normal answer here is go listen for yourself- never heard the 20/20's but have 002r/PT/Hr824's set-up here and loving it.

blu

Message 3/5             24-Mar-04  @  11:21 PM   -   RE: Mackie HR824 or Event 20/20bas?

influx

Link?:  Link

if they are within reach and you can afford to do so, save up for the 824s

STILL go listen for yourself though!

Ive listened and mixed on mackies, and..Im not quite sure what you heard about mid range issues...they seem fine to me there!

Message 4/5             25-Mar-04  @  06:55 AM   -   RE: Mackie HR824 or Event 20/20bas?

Optofonik - AKA, mick, rhyze, etc.

Link?: Link

Get a decent pair of monitors, even something like the Alesis M1 Actives will do (as long as you check your mixes). Spend several weeks using them as the only source through which you listen to your fav CDs. After that, start A/Bing your fav CDs (checking the mix) on other systems like your car, a boombox, home stereo, etc. Once you've learned you monitors you should be able to make them work for you.

Over the years most of what I've researched seems to indicate that, below a certain price point (well outside of the average, student's budget), learning your monitors and the environment they're in is the only way to get a good mix. Well engineered near fields in a well engineered room is the ideal but even then its seems to be about a familairity with the system; i.e., the monitors and the room.

The bottom line is that mixing is work not electro-mechanical alchemy. Reading the "Master Handbook of Acoustics" will go a long way in gaining an understanding some of the particulars of the elements you will be dealing with in less than ideal circumstances.

Also, don't underestimate the importance of high quality headphones in low budget mixing. They're not a panacea but I think they are an important element in the the big picture.

Message 5/5             25-Mar-04  @  07:37 AM   -   RE: Mackie HR824 or Event 20/20bas?

bandiminlg

Link?:  No link

thanks alot for the help guys...

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 5 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)