aaa I was off my bass - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

05-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: I was off my bass

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/5             22-Dec-03  @  11:48 AM   -   I was off my bass

roomsy

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I think I learnt a harsh lesson at the weekend. My mate had a DJ gig at a small (250 capacity) club in London Friday just gone. He played my/our track off CDR and the bass dominated most of the mix. It didn't sound very, very bad but it didn't sound that good either as the bass swamped a lot of the bottom end and masked the kick and other low drum frequencies quite a bit. When we got back home/studio I listened to the mix again and it sounded all nice and balanced but what I've learnt is that one has to be quite careful when setting a level for the bass. What sounds too low in the mix on studio nearfields will probably sound right on a club rig. So in future I think I need to set my bass lower in the mix. Its hard though cos I want a phat bass in the club. Any other's have/had this problem?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/5             22-Dec-03  @  12:39 PM   -   RE: I was off my bass

milan

Link?: Link

mm yeah... thats one thing that almost everybody figures out at one point... latest when you play the track out, like u did  

look... you have to consider that our hearing reacts totaly differently to bass and high frequencies *depending on how loud* you are listening to it. eg- when you mix the track at home, you are probably listening much quieter than when you'd play it in a club, so you are beefing up the bass because you simply dont hear enough of it. then, when you turn it up you hear this bwoomboomboom which masks half the other shit in the mix. cure= a) turn it up REAL LOUD once in a while and see how it sounds compared to a tune you like in the same style. and b) make sure your monitors have enough bass to give you a propper refference.

ok, this explanation was a bit 'ghetto' but hopefully you'll catch my drift...

oh btw, tracks are often mastered differently for vinyl (less bass) than for cd for home listening (more bass) for exactly that reason.

Message 3/5             22-Dec-03  @  02:49 PM   -   RE: I was off my bass

k

rule 1 - if you use a hi-fi amp for powering your speakers, NEVER use the bass-boost/loudness switch

2. always have the Bass & Treble on the amp set to 12 o'clock (off)

3. you can hear the bass better by standing in the corner of your room with your head against the two walls where they meet (facing out into the room) - listen to the bass THERE... louder yes?

that's what it'll sound like boosted in a club - BUT, with a tad more bass, so roll it off until it sounds warm and bassy but not Booming when you stand in the corner to listen.

to check top-end levels and the whole mix, listen to it from another room with the studio-room door open... this kinda helps to zone-in on 'too-loud' hi-hats etc.

Message 4/5             23-Dec-03  @  07:38 PM   -   RE: I was off my bass

L$

You could also stick a hipass filter at 20-30Hz, to cut any rumbling energy that might be there (and wouldn't be heard on nearfields).

Message 5/5             23-Dec-03  @  10:23 PM   -   RE: I was off my bass

RagnarOk

Link?: Link

Ok, then I go and stand in the corner.

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 5 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)