aaa I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :( - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Original Message                 Date: 08-May-02  @  06:31 PM     Edit: 08-May-02  |  07:11 PM   -   I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

Zink

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Why do people think I'm a DJ when I say that I produce dance music? The countless people that don't get it really pisses me off... Arrgghhh!!

I really don't understand how they can get the two things confused. They even think I scratch records!!!

I'm not just talking about just the totally clueless people, but even some of the raver kids get things confused.

Why is techno production such a dark and confusing art to outsiders??

And another thing is the 'Proper' musicians who look down on what we do seem to think that we just use presets and string them together. Maybe this is because their only experience of electronic music is those awful Yamaha PSR keyboards?

I took a real sceptic into my studio and showed him what I do - Write, Compose, Sequence, Record sounds, Route effects, create original patches, mix and finally master.

His head really spun and I think he gained a new found respect for me.

Anybody else feel this way?? Anybody??? Anyone??

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 41/66             11-May-02  @  12:27 AM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

dru

Link?:  Link

uh, well. In general, I would imagine that if you
want to do an exceptional job at anything- then
you must put forth what would be exceptional
to you.
So, while speaking in general, I'm trying to
suggest ideas that I would imagine to have in
common with others in possibly different but
specific individual ways.

I think I should've been more general to
comment about 'music production' rather than
'electronic music production'.

And if your not pushing your own limits- then
what limits are worth pushing. If you make
good music without genuine effort- then I
would like to see what you would've produced
with it.

I read my post and realize how I demonstrated
my past misconceptions about music
production as they were, simply by the way I
worded my statement on what I used to think
electronic music-making was about. I had no
idea the amount of technical implementation
that was required, or simply available, for
manipulating sounds.

So, actually I mean specifically that-
"samples, a few effects, and a good
arrangement"- no more. Each of these words
meant things differently to me then- than they
do to anybody on this board I imagine.

MIDI wuz a BIG mystery. cc's?? what tha
f.uck? And any knob on my screen meant
some mysterious shit that I WAS simply
foreign to. The confusion of how to begin was
enough that it took me a few years of casual
exposure to music production and computers
before I was competent enough to manage it
all with a sense of understanding. specific
enough?

just thought i'd post in ways that would
encourage people to relate in one way or
another. Seems to be all the 'music tech
forum' is about anyway...

Message 42/66             11-May-02  @  12:34 AM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

dru

my response above was regarding influx's
and pedant's posts. kinda sounds like a reply
to hydrofonix.

Message 43/66             11-May-02  @  01:03 AM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

Drop

That was well put dru.

Message 44/66             11-May-02  @  02:58 AM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

xoxos

Link?: Link

let's just keep being here to show each other the way, eh? fuck off, greed.

Message 45/66             12-May-02  @  12:01 AM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

`:)

I can definately say it happens in the UK as well, I've done loads of gigs where people have come up seen all the synths and said stuff like "ooh I've never seen a mixer like that" while pointing at a 303. Or worse still people I havent seen for a while saying "still got yer dex?". I reckon the idiot factor is a worldwide phenomenom and at a guess I reckon about 80% of people into dance music think it is made by DJs using nothing more than 2 1200s and a mixer. It constantly amazes me how stupid and ignorant people are. Most DJs themselves are quite happy for this myth to remain as it adds to their superstar status and 99% of DJs are total crap, mainly because of unimaginative mixing, strictly staying in the confines of one genre (normally the current popular choice) until the next genre becomes hip. But of course there are some fantastic DJs as well who bring new (or sometimes old) tunes to people and stay openminded, mixing many different styles thru one set in a seamless transition that keeps its flow, thats where the real talent lies in DJing. I remember years ago (about '83/84 I think)watching this guy, he had two copies of some old electro track and some weird obscure 70s afro funk tune on the decks, he was doing flanging, phasing and echo fx on the electro track and cutting in this funk tune doing scratching and transforming, he made it last for about 12 minutes and he was the master of his gear, people went ing ballsitic. What ever happened to that style of DJing, is anyone still doing that?

Message 46/66             12-May-02  @  10:12 AM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

oz.

this has become a great thread. its reassuring that so many people are keepin it real. loving what you do and wanting to do it the best you can. it gets so expensive and stuff, but you keep on going. cool.

so screw the people who dont know the difference. i wish i could forget about them. but they are always up in my face. the idiot phenomenon, thats hilarious.

and i think that djing will fall by the wasteside. it may not be tomorrow or next year, but i believe it will happen. it has to. its about the progression of our kind of music. not that i think that dj's will disappear, nor do i want them to. there is just so much more to do than play records. getting into electronic music has taught me that.

Message 47/66             12-May-02  @  11:14 AM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

influx

you know..I do know some DJs now that are bringing along other toys to expand the situation and not just play records

Davey Dave (Uberzones current scratch DJ) designed a pretty dope mixer for...tascam was it? Cant remember, but..its got a lot of VERY cool features that make it quite flexible and enhance the DJ experience greatly. Another girl called Madame Mercury uses one supposedly too (I havent seen just how effectively yet as I have yet to see her in person, but hopefully she exploits the potential of such a tool expertly.)

so...the DJs that choose to progress (and RECOGNIZE who it is that is fueling their sets) deserve full well to be acknowledged. For the rest of you chumps who think you're special cuz you learned how to beatmatch?

go away.

Message 48/66             13-May-02  @  03:13 AM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

Fusion

i think its a pioneer mixer my mates got one, its got mad modulations fx and time streching = usual stuff like verb, phaser ect. He uses it to 'fine tune' (as he likes to call it) his final mixes (of his tracks), i thing its a bit mad meselfs.

He said it cost like 800 quid!

FuSiOn:@)

Message 49/66             13-May-02  @  03:21 AM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

influx

Link?: Link

yeah...Davey Dave designed that thing..X9 I believe?

seems like a lot of money for a DJ mixer!

Message 50/66             13-May-02  @  03:38 AM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

pict

Classical bassoon players look down their noses at Saxophone players who look down their noses at guitar players who look down their noses at bass players who look down their noses at synth players who look down their nose at djs who look down their nose at etc,etc,etc.
Do you get a buzz out of doing what you do?If so fuck what anybody else thinks.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

There are 66 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)