aaa swing and groove secrets - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

05-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: swing and groove secrets

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Original Message                 Date: 28-Jan-04  @  05:13 PM   -   swing and groove secrets

James Burnett

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

A question on swing and groove if anyones prepared to give up their secrets. You'll get good karma, I promise. How do you people go about injecting some groove in your club tracks. I've been using swing B in Logic and it works OK but I'm not entirely sure how to use swing properly. If I decide to move the 2 and 4 16th notes later by 21 ticks (swing B), then should I make sure that I use this swing setting on everything including all the drums and the bass and all the music?

I was reading that classic hip hop tracks keep the drums strictly quantised but swing the bass whereas classic funk tracks swing the drums but have a strictly quantised bass. I'm making (trying) underground house tracks and I reckon having everything strictly quantised is the best groove but this can't be right cos when I cut up all my favourite tracks (of CD, not vinyl), they seem to have some of their snares, percussion, etc that fall on the 2nd and 4th 16th notes (from what I can make out) on 21 and 41 ticks but when I attempt to do it, its sound sloppy and not tight.

Maybe I'm over analysing but surely groove can't just be about velocity and compression? How do you guys swing your tracks, have everything on the same swing setting or maybe slightly swing the main drums by say 6 ticks and swing the hats and shakers by 21 ticks? Do you think that’s the best way of looking at it?

I'm using my ears, I promise!!!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 41/80             10-Feb-04  @  09:07 PM   -   RE: swing and groove secrets

cydonia cell

Atomic Dog? That doesn't groove! It's old!!!

e

Message 42/80             10-Feb-04  @  09:07 PM   -   RE: swing and groove secrets

MCC>

and what's almost funny was...james..hey! btw we have the same first name dickwad.....
was the fact that i KNEW you came HERE with your ass-wipe query JUST to stir shit
ya .

now talk about shit-walkers.

lonDon! pwetty boy underground.
oooweeeeee.
got wogic!?

go bugger your lad.
he's waiting anxiously.

Message 43/80             10-Feb-04  @  11:11 PM   -   RE: swing and groove secrets

5 tuplet/4

Hi iam bob the 5 tuplet/4 and my music sounds like a 3 legged donkey playing the
bagpipes whilist building a small wooden shed all quantised to well you know it 5 tuplet/4,
sometimes i move every 97th and 1007th note by 23 ticks, does it swing ? does it f..k?

Message 44/80             10-Feb-04  @  11:16 PM   -   RE: swing and groove secrets

5 tuplet/4

Hi iam bob the 5 tuplet/4 and my music sounds like a 3 legged donkey playing the
bagpipes whilist building a small wooden shed all quantised to well you know it 5 tuplet/4,
sometimes i move every 97th and 1007th note by 23 ticks, does it swing ? does it f..k?

Message 45/80             10-Feb-04  @  11:25 PM   -   RE: swing and groove secrets

k

Link?:  Link

I doubt that was him (james the originator of the thread) really

anyways, the number of 'ticks' is down to master resolution for adding swing, skip or whatever you want to call it. But I think our ranting freind would mean in SX or VST to set the grid quantise to 64T, and wack in at 2.4 and 4.4 - one space/tick or whatever across, so on 2.4.020 - or push it across towards 2.4.021, 2.4.022, 2.4.023 etc.

I kinda like it with the top end on 21's and the perc a bit further acorss on 23/4 but velocity as always is tres important

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 46/80             10-Feb-04  @  11:34 PM   -   RE: swing and groove secrets

k

File?:  File

housey_groove.mp3

something like that swing (crap sounds, LM7 & VB1 bass quick example)

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 47/80             11-Feb-04  @  12:17 AM   -   RE: swing and groove secrets

Manthra

OH MAN! you are so full of shit... has anybody EVER tried to be somewhat nice. However I did learn something from this thread, so there.

Message 48/80             11-Feb-04  @  12:39 AM   -   RE: swing and groove secrets

k

File?:  File

housey2_41_ticks.mp3

and that's at 41 ticks across - sounds 'skippier' - obviousy without really gettings sounds right it doesnt really do it, and it's very simplified, and a crap bassline & sad sounds (I dont do house)... lol

but the swing is more pronounced anyways at 41...

it's not like it has just one fixed beat sorta style anyways, it's very very broad stuff most of it is using those swings anyways

try those - great stuff

http://www.undergroundhouse.net/ram/slum_science.ram

http://www.undergroundhouse.net/ram/janefitz_sleazeontoast.ram

Message 49/80             11-Feb-04  @  12:43 AM     Edit: 11-Feb-04  |  01:04 AM   -   RE: swing and groove secrets

k

dont hop in too quick mate (mantra) - I was adding anotehr post to follow with a different tick

we're talkin about a principal of swing that's all, you cant craft a good groove/track around that ALONE, but the timing is those swing factors anyways then it's up to the skill of the person and their love of the music to translate that into a great track using real care & attention to detail

the point is I think people here are saying IF you check it, (and it's true - as these files added show)... just adding 41 or 21 or whatever tick swing to something doent make a great house groove - its WAY WAY more deep than that, otherwise any halfwit could do it.

stuff like gate-time of notes is part of it, some sustain a bit , some cut-off quicker or real quick.

Anyways, matra, whoever, relax man before you give yourself a heart attack

james man, the swing .... is as you have found, not everything, so i suggest d/load some tunes and import some loops edited from that audio into your sequencer

set the tempo of the song to fit the loop, and study it timingwise by loking at the peaks in the wave against the grid/timing

some sequencers let you grab a midi quantise template also from a loop, but...like all genres it's a skill you have to learn and then it's down to wether you have the talent also.

Message 50/80             11-Feb-04  @  01:13 AM   -   RE: swing and groove secrets

k

http://www.undergroundhouse.net/ram/bobby_v.ram

that's a bit less cluttered and raw - easier to hear the basic - gorgeous groove

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

There are 80 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)