aaa motivation - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: motivation

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Original Message                 Date: 07-Aug-04  @  08:55 AM   -   motivation

panama

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

I sit here with this keyboard and my Macintiosh and wonder about motivation. We
as a group compose beats, noise, and maybe a melody, but why? Is it motivation
or time killed or a good fuck (for our mind)? What motivates us? I get into my room
with all my expensive electronics and push buttons. PUSH BUTTONS? ok, I am a
Master Control Operator for TV. I push lots of butttons and I am not motivated. I
like TV but I like money too, which I make from pushing buttons. Cut to cut, edit to
edit. I put stuff together. BUT, the motivation in music is different. Do I think of
money, no. It silences the world. It keeps me from going mad when my girlfriend
hates and cheats on me. I am motivated to vent my filth. is it filth tho? GOD DAMN
ART! where's the art? I push buttons, I DO NOT bleed while I push piano keys to
bleed in the index. I say, hello macintosh, dear diary, you are much more forgiving
when I am motivated. HA!

FUCK! what is music then? heh, we know then. I have much respect a dude like
Paul Van Dyrk who makes a fabulous track with a chick going: "ERRRMMMM
dAYYYY AHHHH YYEAAA". What the fuck is it about with electronic music then?

so I thereby say, what motivates you (while you know the truth). It's all crap but its
soo good. EVER SHIT on the TOILET and felt, DAMN, I FEEL great while I SHIT.
I'm not ragging like a whore whose dried up a rag crusted to a piece of a card
stock. Leaving you wondering, HOW AM I GONNA WIPE MYSELF? but with the
intelligent notion that what does it all mean? and why are you motivated? and does
it make sense? Is it just easy, or just the latest tool in creation for your motivation
and self-worth?

damn, I love the guys who make money on there electronodal music,

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 41/89             11-Aug-04  @  03:49 AM   -   RE: motivation

Influx

Link?: Link

andrew

how can you possibly write music without some form of inspiration? no one said you had to feel like writing cuz your friend died or your mom has cancer or your dog got hit by a car

OR because youre in love, etc etc...

but...good art IS inspired. There's no two ways about it! If you feel so "blah" about writing music, maybe you should find another hobby?

or perhaps I misunderstood. No interest in reading all that again, but...you sure got a lot of attitude for a guy who ONLY listens to trance. Its like youre living in this incredibly tiny bubble and any time anyone intimates that there's a world out there you lash out at them.

odd and a bit alarming to say the least!

Message 42/89             11-Aug-04  @  04:38 AM   -   RE: motivation

chroma

Link?:  No link

not that i have anything worthwhile to add but...the first time i finished a track i was really happy with was when my dad was terminally ill. i really should have spent more time with him (he's gone now) but i just threw myself into my music, maybe subconsciously clinging to something i had control over (ha!)

anyway my motivation comes from feelings of outrage over what people around me listen to, if its not sappy barry manilow crap its that nasty nu-metal or emo shit *shudder*

nice thread, well represented by the dt old guard...pict you made me cry

Message 43/89             11-Aug-04  @  05:16 AM   -   RE: motivation

SignalRunners - Andrew

Ape, I think I'm a slightly decent person as well- even though you suggest differently by your referances to Alan-- but with that aside, you've stated your point and it only shows that you are even more of a pompous ass than I thought you were before. I really see no need for further debate, as your lack of respect for what I enjoy doing and sharing with other people is quite obvious.

Message 44/89             11-Aug-04  @  05:48 AM   -   RE: motivation

Pongoid

I wouldn't know a thing about your decency, just your obvious lack of motivation, and possibly misplaced motives. Pompous? Ass? How about simply unimpressed, and disappointed with whom Alan has chosen to work? Alan was extremely kind to me, and for that I'm grateful. In fact that track Oryx was one of the ones made with the disks he sent me before they stopped working. If you're finding motivational probalems, perhaps he should be working with someone else until your motivation surfaces?

*shrugs

Ape

Message 45/89             11-Aug-04  @  08:00 AM   -   RE: motivation

CydoniaCell

oh my... hehehe oh my

now we have the "artists" screaming down from the Ivory Tower that they are insulted /nauseated by those who do not meet their standards when it comes to the creative process... such effrontery...

thing is what I just stated could be said for the both of you! (You know)...

too funny... do what you do, guys... the audience will know if you're fakin' it...

and, judgeing by the opinions I've seen about the music that get's tossed around here, at least this audience (dancetech in general) knows...

creativity is a fickle bitch... to get creative and push yourself past what others did that moved you, you sometimes need event's to shake up your perception filters and rock your boat. That might take a broken heart, a fistfull of pills or a loverly walk oin the woods... (How about a walk in the woods on Acid while your girl breaks it off)...

Other times it simply takes a basement, a synthesizer and a jar of "cheez food"

either way it's what comes out the monitors, and what it does to the floor that matters.

and we all know "a hawk from a handsaw" when we hear it, eh guys?

e

Message 46/89             11-Aug-04  @  08:22 AM   -   RE: motivation

RagnarOk

Sometimes, when I'm too much posessed with my daily engineering job I used to come up with an analogue: we're black boxes. No one knows what EXACTLY goes on inside us, not even us, so it's better assume we're just black boxes. We have lots and lots of inputs, some we recognise, some we don't. I guess the latter is the more prominent, but that's just a guess by my alter-engineer ego (probably). What comes out is just like that, sometimes we're aware of it, we even WANT it to come out, other times we just throw it out (shit it out, man, I like that metaphor). Making music is only a technique we learned some day, a form in which we can send output, like talking, writing, making gestures etc. As with shitting, our body/mind (?) rewards us with great pleasure, so we can see it's good for us. Making music is probably good for us, because (there must be) some kind of stuff that we (conscious or not) made up from our inputs, and music is an easy, well-fitting form for that kind of output.

Of course, there are people who can chat about nothing for days, and that must be the same with others making music. We all do that to some extent, and there are ones who find out its pointlessness (there's no reward, eg. it doesn't feel; good), and others who don't. Sometimes it even feels bad, and the reward can come afterwards, back we are to our shitting analogue. Hey, an exception! So its a black box, which you can predict, you can have nice models to describe it, but cannot fully analyse.

Message 47/89             11-Aug-04  @  06:45 PM   -   RE: motivation

xoxos

"this is dancetech" so we should all cater to the established forms? i think perhaps that is why there are "concerned" people concentrated here..

individuals i know and respect use their communication to create awareness.

it's a hard and fast line, but my estimation is that, if you are making music because you enjoy it or like it or something, you probably live a rather insulated existence.

christians, robots, civilised people "enjoy" "recreational activities." anyone less insulated from raw, unformatted existence is likely to analyse their predeliction.

Message 48/89             11-Aug-04  @  11:26 PM   -   RE: motivation

k

kin hell xoxos, but that WAS why the site was started, specificaly for that, to show stuff for noobs thats all really

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 49/89             12-Aug-04  @  09:09 AM   -   RE: motivation

RagnarOk

"if you are making music because you enjoy it or like it or something ...
...christians, robots, civilised people "enjoy" "recreational activities."

Thats "enjoyment" from a consumer point of view, where no, or little giving, or shall I say "output" is involved. Enyoyment is earned by getting something. Getting a present, a haircut, a disease, a bad experience.

"individuals i know and respect use their communication to create awareness"

To "create", to "influence", these are activities to change the environment, (from which we get the input). Writing a poem. Giving flowers. Killing people on the street.

I don't see how I could make a comparison between the qualities of input and output forms. Of course I make a difference between certain input forms, and I have my preferred input/output forms, like everyone else.

Message 50/89             12-Aug-04  @  10:10 AM   -   RE: motivation

k

it's official - stop slagging off peoples taste in music!!

y'know you cant expect people to think and feel the same way you do, that's NEVER going to happen in life, and it's not a crime to just be a functional person who finds motivation doesn't require great personal angst or upheaval etc. Some people just like to make music, or like to make music which sounds like the people they admire or like, there's all sorts of reasons for motivation.

c'mon people for gods sake, stop attacking peoples taste man - it's nothing more than a more rationalised & interllectualised version of kids at school argueing over wether Britney is better than 50 Cent

Jeez Louise!

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

There are 89 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)