aaa sampler as drum machine? - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

06-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: sampler as drum machine?

Viewing all 55 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3 4 5 6

Original Message 1/55             08-Aug-98  @  08:20 AM   -   sampler as drum machine?

buggo

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

i've tried using the signum s/w jobbie as a drum machine, with my mc-300 sequencer...no dice. Is there any way on most samplers to get it to NOT pitch-shift a sample up and down the keyboard range? If, for example, my sequencer is programmed to play a kick drum on midi ch. 10 and the kick's note # is 35, then how do I get the sampler to play the kick sample, at the original pitch, no matter what note number it's at? Say I want to assign kick to 35, snare to 36, open hat to 37, closed hat to 38, etc........can I get a sampler just to play the samples without pitch shifting 'em? GRR!!

(Not just on the Signum thingy...I need to know if I can do this on hardware units, such as Emax or DSM-1, that are good for drums. While we're at it, what would you all suggest as a decent drum sampler for under $400? The emax, s550, DSM1, s900, etc. all seem promising...real-world tips anyone?)

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/55             08-Aug-98  @  09:18 AM   -   RE: sampler as drum machine?

noteven

on my Akai S2800S there is a function called constant crossfade which assigns the original pitch to the entire keyspan (on the S2800S its PROG/KEYGROUP/SAMPLE under pitch CONST XFD) you might want to look for something similar, under editing the sample as a keygroup. As far as a cheap drum sampler i would say the Akai S20.

AKAI or die!

out...

Message 3/55             08-Aug-98  @  09:42 AM   -   RE: sampler as drum machine?

JAWA

emaxemaxemaxemax.

Message 4/55             08-Aug-98  @  01:15 PM   -   RE: sampler as drum machine?

daniel

i bought a Peavey SP+. I really asked a lot around here (tnx Hilevelt!) and i think it has an excelent price vs. benefits relation.

Message 5/55             08-Aug-98  @  08:23 PM   -   RE: sampler as drum machine?

Sedusa

Link?:  Link

I like the Emax.. And no weird pitch shifting problems.. when i make a drum patch, every note is a different drum sample.. the only time the pitch changes is if I spin the pitch wheel, and if I wanted, I could disable that for ONLY the drum samples... I say "Emax!" with the hearty cheer of the obsessed fanatic.. Get the rack, tho, the keyboard model really is big and ugly. (Hehe.. And try to find a stock Emax SE with extra RAM)

Message 6/55             08-Aug-98  @  09:10 PM   -   RE: sampler as drum machine?

kilo

... wat you need to do is set the keyboard range for each sample to it's primary key only

Message 7/55             08-Aug-98  @  09:26 PM   -   RE: sampler as drum machine?

buggo

""... wat you need to do is set the keyboard range for each sample to it's primary key only ""

I tried that, but when you load 'em up they're all set at C! That's the primary key, so I can't have 'em ALL at that key!

Thanks for the emax tip....how much sampling time can you get out of them, at a decent sample rate?

Message 8/55             09-Aug-98  @  12:06 AM   -   RE: sampler as drum machine?

JAWA

Something like 18 secs at 28,000 and 5 or 6 at 44,100...... i think.....

Message 9/55             09-Aug-98  @  10:12 AM   -   RE: sampler as drum machine?

buggo

Ok, here's a spec sheet for the Korg DSM-1, which sounds like it would shit on the Emax...I WANT IT!!! Plus it sells for around the same price. (I've seen 'em from $250 to $400 US.) Whadda y'all think?
The DSM-1 comes equipped with a full 1-Megaword PCM waveform memory, for perfectly sampling even the most memory-intensive sound sources. This rich sampling synthesizer module has 16 voice polyphony, 16 individual outputs, and is multitimbral a maximum of 64 sound source split points, at the maximum sampling frequency of 48 kHz, the DSM-1 is capable of recording an audio frequency spectrum even greater than that of the hearing range. All elements of the instrument's design were engineered for optimal sound quality. The DSM-1 has a maximum sampling time of 64 seconds(over a total of 4 banks), and a built-in anti-aliasing input filter. Up to 512 samples and waveforms can be stored to memory. Wave editing functions include operations such as Reverse, Link Mix, Cross Phase Looping, Back & Forth Looping, View & Edit of sound data, and Pitch Adjust. The built-in synthesizer sound processing function provides 46 separate parameters, including such sound shaping tools as VCFs and VCAs.

And with the memory storage capability of up to 32 Programs and 32 Combinations, the DSM-1 is ideal for creating rich, multi-textured sounds - especially in live performance situations. The data of the DSM-1 is stored to 2-Megabyte, 3.5-inch 2HD disks, providing high capacity storage with exceptionally fast loading time. An optional SCSI interface is available through authorized KORG service centers.

DSM-1 SPECIFICATIONS * CONFIGURATION: 16 Voices, 16 VCF modules 16 VCA modules. * WAVE MEMORY: 1 Megaword. * SOUND SOURCES: Oscillator Waveforms created by sampling or by 128 Harmonic Synthesise. * QUANTIZATION: 12 Bit. * SAMPLING TIMES & FREQUENCIES: 16 Sec x 4 Banks~16 kHz, 11~5 Sec x 4 Banks~24 kHz, 8 Sec x 4 Banks 32kHz, 5~5 Sec x 4 Banks~4B kHz. * MAXIMUM NUMBER OF SPLIT POINTS: 16 per Multisound, 64 per combination (4 Timbres). * NUMBER OF MULTISOUNDS: up to 32 in internal memory. * NUMBER OF COMBINATION: 32. * COMBINATION TYPES: Single, Layer 2, Split 2, Layer 4, Split 4, Split/Layer, Multi, Manual. * NUMBER OF PROGRAMS: 32. * OUTPUTS: 16 Individual Out, Mix Out, Stereo headphones, MIDI OUT/THRU, HSI Jack. * INPUTS: Audio In Footswitch, MIDI IN. * POWER SUPPLY: AC, Local voltage. * POWER CONSUMPTION: 35W. * DISK DRIVE: Takes 3.5 inch, Double-sided, High density, Double-track (2HD Unformatted) FLOPPY DISKS: PERFORMANCE DISKS (For Storage of Internal memory) WORK DISKS(For Storage of Multisounds and harmonic data) and DSS-1 DISKS. (For Loading of DSS-1 data only) *ACCESSORIES: Floppy disks 4. SYNC/MIDI Cable. *AC Power cord , Rackmount adaptors, Voice chart, Parameter sheet.

Message 10/55             09-Aug-98  @  11:53 AM   -   RE: sampler as drum machine?

kilo

no mate... I meant the samples own primary key... so like when you sample... you have to assign a key to sample to... an actual physical note... from which the sample transposes up or down or both.... all samplers work like that in the whole, cos that is the principal of multi-sampling..... so simply assign the NOTE RANGE of each drum sample to be a single key/note

Message 11/55             09-Aug-98  @  04:22 PM   -   RE: sampler as drum machine?

buggo

ahhh, I see....hopefully this is not too tough to do...what do you folks think of the DSM-1 tho? Sounds fucking killer compared to a lot of older samplers, with a real low s/h price.....

Message 12/55             10-Aug-98  @  05:13 PM   -   RE: sampler as drum machine?

Lettus Be

Buggo:

To change the key of your sample in the signum's sampler goto edit sample (ES) button, then EDIT.2, then scroll through your samples and when you get to the one you want to change hit tab to goto the original pitch feild there should be a number 60 there or something. Now with the mouse click the para button (its all blue and para is in white) the 60 in the original pitch feild should change to c_3. Now just scroll up and down to get to the pitch you want your sample to play at in you key span.

This IS what you were asking originally right?

Though sometimes it seem signum won't save this info for me? I'll reload a prg and this info will be back to the defaults.

Another way of doing it is pitch shifting your samples in cool edit 96 (which is what I use) by going to the Analyze menue then frequency analysis to find your samples pitch. Then goto transform, then Time/Pitch then stretch.
Now goto constant strech and choose phitch shift (preserve tempo) then in the transpose box select how high or low you want to go. This way works well if Signum doesn't save properly so your not totally fucked.

Message 13/55             10-Aug-98  @  06:47 PM   -   RE: sampler as drum machine?

nomad

about the DSM-1: it's really totally different
than the emax. here are the main differences:

dsm-1: very clean for a 12-bit sampler. 16 indie outs.
weak filters, non-resonant. no effects. complicated
interface (most say). lots of modulation possibilities.
4 way multitimbral with layering. 16 voice polyphonic.
1 megaword memory, samples at 16/24/32/48 khz.
harmonic synthesis = simple additive synth engine.

it makes a great drum machine mostly for the 16
indie outs. clean so you get out what you put it.
can use the DSM-1 samples in other korg keyboards
(like the T1/T2).

emax: dirtier sounding, has its own sound. many people
like its sound. analog filters. 8 indie outs,
8 voice polyphonic. chorus. simple interface (most say).
don't know about mod possibilities, but probably decent.
8 way multitimbral? memory isn't as much as the dsm-1
normally, but may be as much in some cases. weird
spectrum synthesis engine, hard to use since it
takes forever? (never actually used it).

nice dirtier drum machine to give character to your
drums.

the dsm-1 has more polyphony, with indie outs for
everything, and it's cleaner sounding, which is
nice since you CAN still sample dirty drums into it,
or get decent vocals out of it too cleanly. the emax
does have a nice character to it though, if you are
looking for that sound it's right there. plus, it
has nice filters so you can use it for a synth too.
the sample library for the emax is much bigger as well,
afaik. (although I have a web page for samples from
the DSS1 that can be used with the DSM1)...

hope this helps..

can't speak to the timing of either unit....

Message 14/55             10-Aug-98  @  07:17 PM   -   RE: sampler as drum machine?

try out Fruityloops PRO

(Midi)

Message 15/55             12-Aug-98  @  09:26 PM   -   RE: sampler as drum machine?

hilliard

Does anyone know how to make a sample tigger and then complete it's full cycle, even after you release the key? What is this parameter usually called? I'm trying to do this on an S-550. I've never set-up samples this way, 'cause I generally like them to cut-off right when I release the key, mainly for quick rhythmic stuff, but I was setting up a drum-kit and I want the kick (long 808-type) and the cymbal crash, to continue playing the entire sample length, regardless of when I release the key. Anyone?

Message 16/55             13-Aug-98  @  12:43 AM   -   RE: sampler as drum machine?

kilo

envelope......ADSR

Message 17/55             13-Aug-98  @  08:14 AM   -   RE: sampler as drum machine?

Hilevelt

I use release on my samplers (including s-330/50), but the mpc-2000 has a key trigger mode that does this automatically. I'd have to assume other samplers can do this too.

FM raved about the DSS-1 & said the DSM-1 was a lot weaker. I've used the DSS-1 & love it to bits.

Daniel, you got the SP+? How are those filters, my SP's aren't resonant? How much did you pay?

Message 18/55             13-Aug-98  @  07:56 PM   -   RE: sampler as drum machine?

hilliard

I think I messed with the envelopes (it's quite a different set-up than any I've seen before - the S-550, that is - quite a few "stages"...hmmmmmmnn).

Seems like my roommate's S900/S2800 units did it just with a certain "mode" as you mentioned about the mpc. Guess I'll just have to mess with it a bit more, eh?

Maybe I should just check out a sampled drum kit from Roland's collection, 'n see how they set it up.....now there's a good idea......hhhhmmmmpphhh.

Message 19/55             13-Aug-98  @  08:33 PM   -   RE: sampler as drum machine?

kilo

akais have a mode which basically just triggers the sample and it'll play all the way thru regardless of note length..... some other unists may have this..... otherwise, it's the decay/release setting....

Message 20/55             13-Aug-98  @  09:55 PM   -   RE: sampler as drum machine?

buggo

noteven: you mention the S-20...I've been searchin for info on this bastard; seems perfect. (no filters or anything, but it takes SIMMs and has pads....) any shit you can tell me about it? (i've seen the akai page...a bunch of hype.)

Message 21/55             14-Aug-98  @  02:04 AM   -   RE: sampler as drum machine?

Hilevelt

hrmph, reaching for the s-330 manual .... almost there ..... come on, baby, you can do it .... you can DO IT............

damn, I guess I'm just too paranoid of those things to be of serious help. Tell me if you find out ;)

Message 22/55             28-Aug-98  @  06:10 AM   -   RE: sampler as drum machine?

buggo

another question: i know you all heartily reccomend the emax, and that's what i'm leaning toward...(either that or the s20). but upon listening to your tracks (kilo's immediately come to mind) it seems you do a lot of stuff that doesn't require a lot of programming (four on the floor, offset hats...). How does the emax measure up for programming breakbeats etc? I'm pretty much going to be using it as a dedicated sampler for drums and sound effects, and get another for actual synthesis, so that's not really an issue. But memory-wise, can I get a decent amount of sample time (10-15 seconds??) at a low-fi rate on the emax? also, another thing i love about the s20 is the pads for samples...how important is this actually? (having not much experience with drum machines....i play drums and i program a lot but never worked with hardware units.) am I a moron?

Message 23/55             28-Aug-98  @  07:02 AM   -   RE: sampler as drum machine?

influx

hey buggo-another thing about the emax (the key version) is that you can use it as a controller as well, which seems to work pretty damn good. You can get something like 45 seconds ( I think) at 10k sample rate-and less as you go up in fidelity, but still like...10(?) at the highest rate. Im not looking at anything so I may be mistaken. Sedusas right, tho, they are a little hefty! but not ugly-

Message 24/55             28-Aug-98  @  07:16 AM   -   RE: sampler as drum machine?

Sedusa

If you're using individual drum hits, you can pack several complete drum kits (I mean complete with tamborines, idfferent hats, all the extras) into the Emax at even the highest rate.. And, if you use SDS transfer from the computer to the Emax, You can make the rate as lofi as possible in the editor, and get more than the supposed maximum time out of it. ..Hehe, Probably like 2 minutes at 3khz... Oh, and the Emax keyboard doesn't have aftertouch, I believe..

Message 25/55             28-Aug-98  @  08:42 AM   -   RE: sampler as drum machine?

buggo

wow sounds cool....what's sds tho? and how important are those pads on the s20? also, anyone have any pics of the front panel, just cos i'm curious...one more thing, is the rack version heavy? i heard the keyboard was a monster but...

Message 26/55             28-Aug-98  @  09:12 AM   -   RE: sampler as drum machine?

bill

i've just started using an emax for doing the main drum tracks - it seems fine for simple garagy-stuff where there's a kick and a snare going, but the more complex stuff seems to cut out occasionally.

but then, it's the first sampler i've used and i could have it set up slightly wrong. and i was trying to work out for ages why when the kick tracks came in the first beat would sound accented - finally i realised it was my compressor which had a slow attack so the first part of the first kick got through and a long release so all subsequent drums were compresedd. anyway.....

it's unbelievably simple to set up drum-presets though and sedusa's right, you can get a lot of sounds in the 512k - 28khx sounds fine to me.

another thing though, kilo said that when he used the emax as a drum unit he ran fast stuff like hats and shakers and extra snares off his sr16 because it "ate the polyphony".

Message 27/55             28-Aug-98  @  11:55 AM   -   RE: sampler as drum machine?

Sedusa

The timing seems to be fine on my Emax.. I believe (Don't quote me on this) that SDS stands for sample dump standard... Basically it's a way to transfer samples to and from a computer -> sampler via MIDI.. It's slow, yes, but, we're talking aboiut files that are quite small, really. So it ain't a big deal.. Oh yeah, and the rack is heavy as a motherfucker.. It's 3U tall and it's long.. I had a hard time putting it into my rack, just because I could only hold it with one hand while I put in the screws.. But the keyboard's really big and really heavy and really ugly as sin.. Now, most of the time, I am opposed to putting stickers and shit on gear.. But if you get an Emax keyboard, PAINT THAT FUCKER!

Message 28/55             28-Aug-98  @  12:47 PM   -   RE: sampler as drum machine?

bill

but then i'd paint over my manual.....i love having all the functions laid out on he top. i think it looks top.

Message 29/55             29-Aug-98  @  03:16 AM   -   RE: sampler as drum machine?

influx

STOP CALLING MY EMAX UGLY!! WANNA FIGHT?!?
it does not have aftertouch, so I guess that limits it as a controller, huh?
It is NOT ugly 
Ive messed with some tricky snare patterns, and it works fine, along with good drum pattterns.

Message 30/55             29-Aug-98  @  04:39 AM   -   RE: sampler as drum machine?

xoxos

i'm still loading the first program or samples on my akai s2000 ($800) but, thou it's not saying much, compared to my mirage dsk8, it's lovely.

that korg sounds like a deal for the $ though. i'm currently having fun using the akai's keygroup function, which assigns several samples to one key trigger. nice with the panning.

any specific questions? still exploring, but it does what i need which is provide rock solid playback.

xoxos.

Message 31/55             29-Aug-98  @  05:06 AM   -   RE: sampler as drum machine?

buggo

eeehh...well in light of this stuff I think I'll go with the s20 for drums and weird stuff...And then get an emax for its synthesis abilities. Only thing that blows about that is that the s20 doesn't have indie outs. Well it is stereo though so I guess I could pan my kick left and everything else right....or something...

Message 32/55             29-Aug-98  @  08:11 AM   -   RE: sampler as drum machine?

Sedusa

The real question is how does it sound? I know the Emax sounds good.. How does the S20 sound?

Message 33/55             29-Aug-98  @  03:02 PM   -   RE: sampler as drum machine?

xoxos

the akai has optional multi outs for $300 in tucson (you get digital RCAs for that too.) i multitrack so no need.
the samples off my nord sound perfect, the stuff off my mirage doesn't always sound the same, but that's probably because it's a mirage.
one thing i'm impressed by is the fluidity with which it continues to play sounds as you're editing, ie. changing the key value or loading new sounds. i've never used an emax, and the mirage isn't in the league, but so far it gets a 10 for sound clarity, reproduction.

xoxos.

Message 34/55             29-Aug-98  @  07:54 PM   -   RE: sampler as drum machine?

buggo

no, the s20 doesn't allow you indie outs; that's the s2000. and unless I can find an emax locally, it'll have to be shipped, and if it's super heavy....aww hell I'll get whatever i can find cheap. the thing that bugs me about the emax is what someone waid above...it cuts out with a lot of stuff going on. if this is due to limited polyphony, that's fine. (hell, hammerhead only has 6 and the volumes of each hit per track are fixed!!) but if it's because of a slow processor or something, i don't want to be stuck with a sampler that won't do good drums. the s550 looked GREAT until i found out you have to put in a special disk to do any of the functions, even to sample, you have to put in a special "sampling" disk...sounds like a HUGE waste of time. shit i thought this would be easy!!

Message 35/55             29-Aug-98  @  08:24 PM   -   RE: sampler as drum machine?

Influx

Buggo-unless youre doing fifty part drum tracks, the Emax will do fine-I fucked around last night and programmed a more complicated beat at 200 bpm (recorded it slow then sped it up) to see what would happen-and it was still, as kilo puts it, "spot on"! Kick, snare, ride, hi-hat, some clicky thing, and a couple different crashes all came out loud and clear! This is with the MMT sequencing, so that might help with the timing (?) I have niticed it clipping alittle when Ive tried to use two "bass-y" kicks together (like two seperate 808s), but thats not really a problem. It works fine with say an 808 and a standard "dry" kick or whatever. I dont know shit about the other samplers, so no comment there, but I think youd do well with an Emax! Ill look around for ya!
Youre in SLO, right? If it worked out, I could deliver an Emax to ya, if you found it and all that, cuz I got a girl and some friends in Santa Cruz, and I will be visiting in a week, and periodically thereafter, so...Id be glad to help if possible.

Message 36/55             29-Aug-98  @  08:56 PM   -   RE: sampler as drum machine?

buggo

most excellent, thanks...but i think i'd want the rack version (i have a small bedroom/studio and i don't have room for lots of keyboards, especially the huge fuckin emax!!) anyway thanks for the offer; if you see any rack emax's around, lemme know as i'm interested...i just blew $125 on that tx81z, and then i gotta buy a new mixer, but...at around $300 a month plus a few web page deals going down i should have $$ pretty soon. in any case, if you're around here on a weekend, stop the hell by if you feel like it!

Message 37/55             30-Aug-98  @  04:22 AM   -   RE: sampler as drum machine?

LFUX

Yup-hey is SLO north or south of Santa Cruz?

Message 38/55             30-Aug-98  @  04:51 PM   -   RE: sampler as drum machine?

Sedusa

Wow, so many people know where Santa Cruz is.. I feel like I'm not really that far into the boonies now.. Hehe, amazing how many of us Californians have infiltrated this limey site... My Emax rarely cuts out, and when it does, it's cuz I've set it up to do so.. And I've never had kicks clip when layering..

Message 39/55             30-Aug-98  @  07:25 PM   -   RE: sampler as drum machine?

buggo

santa cruz is north of here I know...how far north i'm not sure.

i just realized, when I asked for a picture earlier, i wanted a picture of the emax (rack) front panel, not of the s20...i just find it interesting to see the way it's laid out etc. if anyone's got one or an url to one, let me know. thanx.

Message 40/55             30-Aug-98  @  07:25 PM   -   RE: sampler as drum machine?

buggo

santa cruz is north of here I know...how far north i'm not sure.

i just realized, when I asked for a picture earlier, i wanted a picture of the emax (rack) front panel, not of the s20...i just find it interesting to see the way it's laid out etc. if anyone's got one or an url to one, let me know. thanx.

Message 41/55             30-Aug-98  @  11:05 PM   -   RE: sampler as drum machine?

Dan S.

I'm thinking about buying a akai s950 for drummachine-duties and other things. They can be had rather cheap in Sweden, which isn't too usual here.
Has someone used and is able to give me the lowdown?
I can't seem to find anything about on the web...

Message 42/55             01-Sep-98  @  09:14 AM   -   RE: sampler as drum machine?

bill

sedusa/influx....

just a question or two about the emax's routing to the 8 outs....

i set up two patches - one drum set with a kick and a snare and one bass preset - simple organ-y bass with a flat envelope. i assigned each one to a midi channel (9 and 10) and then i want each one coming out of a channel out ......

so in preset definition/edit assigment i set the kick and snare voices to channel 1>1 (which sends it out of channel 1 i think) and the bass preset to channel 2>2. and no problems, it works fine.....

HOWEVER, when i try and play a two/three note chord on the bass patch it goes monophonic on the indie out (channel 2) but still sounds poly on the main l/r output. the same happens if i try and play the kick and the snare at the same time on channel 1 - but sounds fine on the l/r....

the only thing that i thought it could be was that i was setting up the channel-assignment wrong - am i somehow limiting the polyphony on the individual outs?

in short, how do you set up a multi-timbral setup with each preset on indie outputs, and the presets able to play polyphonically? (sorry, i don't have a manual for it...)

Message 43/55             01-Sep-98  @  09:53 AM   -   Piccy for Buggo

Richie

The EMAX II in all it's glory.

Hope that worked...

Message 44/55             01-Sep-98  @  09:55 AM   -   RE: sampler as drum machine?

Richie

Shit I'm a dumb ass!!

You wanted the rack did'nt you...

Message 45/55             02-Sep-98  @  05:52 PM   -   RE: sampler as drum machine?

influx

Bill-I havent gotten that far yet, unfortunately. Sedusa otta be able to help if he feels like it!  Also, check emus "links" section, or here as well I think, for an Emax user group. Not sure about the address for the newsgroup, but emu is emu.com (duh )

Message 46/55             02-Sep-98  @  06:19 PM   -   RE: sampler as drum machine?

nomad

about the emax indie outs....like many of the early
samplers, each indie out is monophonic. so if you want
two notes, you need to set 1>2 or something like that,
and send those two outputs to your mixer. just the way
it is....at least from what i remember of my emax
long ago....

Message 47/55             03-Sep-98  @  01:47 AM   -   RE: sampler as drum machine?

buggo

yeah, i knew about the emax monophonic indie outs....that's fine with me because all I want is to be able to add a little distortion or compression or something (plus EQ!) to individual sounds...bass drum, snare, hats...but i do have a question:

how deep is the emax rack? I'm buying a rack to hold all my shit and the local shop makes 'em and sells 'em (real nice quality racks, too!) in various depths. I'm looking at one that's maybe 16 inches deep, but I am pretty much definitely getting the emax at some point and i'll need to know how deep it is!

also, how do you handle things like the emax, which is big and heavy, on top of, say, an FX unit in the rack? Seems as tho you ought to stack them from deepest to shallowest so they all support each other and there is more holding units in place that just the screws on the rack ears..but how do you guys do it? (they sell rack shelves at the shop for some ridiculous price like $20...)

Message 48/55             03-Sep-98  @  09:21 AM   -   RE: sampler as drum machine?

bill

nomad - wicked - that's kind of what i guessed would happen. so you reckon that if i'm playing two-note chords then i'll need to run two indie outs and set up the channels identically.

AND - that's why the drums were cutting out - i had the kick and the snare both going through indie-out 1 and whenever they coincided they cut out because the outs were monphonic..... smart huh? so buggo, if you don't fuck up your routing like i did, all should be good.

anyone know what dynamic allocation does?

Message 49/55             03-Sep-98  @  09:39 AM   -   RE: sampler as drum machine?

bill

one last thing. emu seem to like naming their samplers after models of ford cars - or vice versa maybe. like seacrh for an emax and you get ford sierras, search for esi and you get escorts.....

thought it had to be mentioned.....

Message 50/55             03-Sep-98  @  05:36 PM   -   RE: sampler as drum machine?

nomad

well the emax is pretty big....3 rack spaces and
as deep as they come. mine was an HD model though.
pretty heavy too. there are probably actual
specs on the emax site...nope, can't find them.
it was about the same depth as my mks70, ex8000,
prophet 3000, and i think the tx81z too (it's pretty
deep isn't it?) i don't think they get much deeper
than that....

i don't own a rack so I stack all my rack gear (about
4 pieces). works OK for me. the fx sit on top of them.
you can run into heat problems this way though if you
aren't careful, in a rack you can separate things
if necessary, or alternate deep/shallow for heat
dissipation purposes. my mks70 gets VERY hot (12 analog
voices, what do you expect?), as does my prophet 3000.
the tx81z does not get hot at all   i imagine the
emax may get hot as well, although there is more space
in there, so maybe it's ok.

about dynamic allocation...in relation to what?
all it means is that it just picks whatever, usually
voices. so if you say "preset 1 goes to voices 3-4"
that's fixed allocation - it can ONLY play that
preset on voices 3-4, even if nothing else is playing.
usually for indie outs. dynamic means it just picks
an available voice and uses it. nothing more complicated
than that.

Message 51/55             03-Sep-98  @  05:51 PM   -   RE: sampler as drum machine?

Sedusa

Wow.. See what I mean about monitoring? there's no way to know which of your neighbors complained about you.. Cops just cam to my house telling me to shut the fuck up.. It was funny.. I'm drunk as hell, trying to tell a cop my name ("Yeah uh, uh, no, I don't have a driver's liscence.. It was like uh.. Uh.. an Id card?") hehe.. Really tho, the cops were here 10 minutes ago telling me to be quiet.. I hate neighbors.. No way to tell which ones you need to beat the shit out of..........

Message 52/55             04-Sep-98  @  03:38 AM   -   RE: sampler as drum machine?

xoxos

?

been trying all day to remember some electropop thing about diplomacy all day. funny, that. my hat's off to you, though. got fed up listening to 'divine' trying to figure out how the fuck you did that sh2 thing.

personally i'm making an effort to be more approachable to those who don't fathom the mind of a synth head, since i leave all this crap here for hours at a time every day.

okay, i just suck.

xoxos.

Message 53/55             04-Sep-98  @  03:42 AM   -   RE: sampler as drum machine?

LFUX

^^^^^HUH?????^^^^^

Message 54/55             04-Sep-98  @  04:51 AM   -   RE: sampler as drum machine?

buggo

Sedusa:

you have an emax, how deep is it? (approximately)

Message 55/55             04-Sep-98  @  07:24 AM   -   RE: sampler as drum machine?

Sedusa

I dunno.. About 16 inches or so? And Influx, the part at the beginning? That was the SH 2 thru a fixed wah, distortion, and HEAVY delay..

Viewing all 55 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3 4 5 6

There are 55 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)