aaa what's troubling me - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

05-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: what's troubling me

Viewing all 6 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/6             17-Sep-98  @  06:33 AM   -   what's troubling me

xoxos

Link?:  Link

File?:  No file

who knows who cares but this word 'pad' is new to me since i started buying gear again. it was explained to me that a patch was a specific sample or timbral programming, and this word 'pad' seems to refer to a similar concept, but more specifically only to certain qualities of timbres. i hear it used in the context of string pads, so does it refer to tones of high amplitude sustain and complex waveforms used for atmospherics or what? what?

xoxos.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/6             17-Sep-98  @  09:07 AM   -   RE: what's troubling me

bill

pad - generally refers to a soft-ish generally ambient sound used to play sustained chords - therefore you can have simple pads that just have one sound or evolving and complex pads (e.g that have filter sweeps or wavestation style wavesequences).

but you know in the typical dance track where the beat drops out and you've just got the vocal and a swirly synth backgroud - that's a pad.

most famous pad i can think of off the top of my head (though no use to you if you don't know them) is the sound from "unfinished sympathy" by massive attack....but lots of prodigy stuff as well...

Message 3/6             17-Sep-98  @  02:44 PM   -   RE: what's troubling me

xoxos

you know i had a horrible dream about being a cartoon duck mortician; arranging them in a little box with hockey sticks in a chinese restaurant. reaally horrible. somewhere around when me eyeballs snapped open i realized the nomenclature is probably because these sounds are not bass or lead, but used to harmonically 'pad' out the mix, ne?

xoxos.

Message 4/6             17-Sep-98  @  04:16 PM   -   RE: what's troubling me

bill

yeah probably. i always assumed it was because they were kind of soft and like padded-seats. they can be quite difficult to fit in the mix though - depends on how busy it is anyway but when you're creating the actual sound you often end up forgetting that it doesn't actually have to be too busy - the amount of times i've made pads that sound wicked on their own but just will not sit with anything in the mix is untrue...

Message 5/6             17-Sep-98  @  05:14 PM   -   RE: what's troubling me

most2

Link?:  No link

i just got my asr-x from a friend having no problems with
using the programmed sounds,But!!!! sampling is another issue,
1. i tried the truncate feature, it asks do i want to truncate. i say yes, and hit yes then it says truncated.
How do i make it show me a screen with either numbers of the front and back of th sample or a wave pattern?

2. what is the best way to save a sample?
on a separate disk? from the seq. because i have tried to save all-session and been either unable to reopen. or my sample came back mangled.

3. please answer in simple language. inasmuch as i am not as sophisticated with this machine as most of u are

Most317

most2@juno.com

Message 6/6             17-Sep-98  @  05:46 PM   -   RE: what's troubling me

skul

Link?:  No link

ok, the ASR-X has a Pad edit function - which is different from this discussion of pads... but to answer your questions...

1. There is no screen per se with Truncate. Truncate removes all the sound before and after your sample Start and End points (which you set in Pad Edit, right?). That's where you get your sample numbers to work with.

And remember that sample edit functions like Truncate don't change the sound in the Pad - the edited sound gets sent to the scratch pad (from there you can assign it back to the pad you're working on).

2. I would a) make sure you have the latest version of the OS, and b) check out the ASR-X mailing list at www.onelist.com. There's a bit of bitching (understandably), but also some very helpful folks.

Viewing all 6 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 6 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)