aaa Mic / Mixer setup. - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Mic / Mixer setup.

Viewing all 6 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/6             14-Aug-98  @  08:36 PM   -   Mic / Mixer/ Soundcard setup.

Noble mc

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I can't get my sound right, damn!!
I got a mic, a mixer and a soundcard and a computer

Mixer small Eurorack MX802A 8 Channel berringher berright whateva
Mic is a Shure beta green 2.1 dynamic and Another mic is CAD equitek E-100 condensor
Soundcard is a Event Gina.
Using cakewlalk7.01. Everything runs great.

Now the problem is my sound is like too low and distorted or too high and distorted not
severe distortion but its not crystal clear, not clear enough, I have distortion on transients
I think my mic is hooked up wrong. look: mic goes in channel one of the mixer I have to turn
on the aux 1 pre and aux 2 post on that channel so the mic can be picked up by the gina.
the gina 1and2 Ins are on Aux sends 1 and 2on the mixer. This is crazy, I know. How should I hook this up? I just want to record vocals in mono using the mixer as the pre-amp and going into my gina.
Should I get another mixer?/ Help .. please help

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/6             14-Aug-98  @  11:08 PM   -   RE: Mic / Mixer setup.

Ren

Do you want the mic channel to have a direct out? what mixers have an out for
each channel post everything??? Anyone know? ok you input your mic
and the amped up out put is there so you stick a gina in in that?? The euracks are ok
the smallest one lacks things like plf and solo and mutes, does I don't know having gina
1 &2 ins on aux sends 1 and 2 .... then left and right is Aux pre and aux post for that channel
maybe that is crazy?? Is anyone doing anything similar this??

Message 3/6             15-Aug-98  @  01:02 AM   -   RE: Mic / Mixer setup.

kilo

that'll work.... cant see what you're doing wrong?....... aux 1 & 2 out go to Gina 1 & 2 in right!!.....well, it aint really stereo, unless the 2 aux sends are on 2 input channels..... so maybe there is some problem to do with that belnding 2 similar mono sends?..... otherwise...fuck knows..... are the leads ok?... is the gina recording ok on 1& 2 from a streo synth out?..... with the same leads?...... maybe try remove the earth on ONE of the two jack leads.......

Message 4/6             15-Aug-98  @  02:52 AM   -   RE: Mic / Mixer setup.

Noble

O.k check it .... I do have my gina INS 1 and 2 going into aux send 1 and 2 and thats ok.
Now I took my awe64 out of the equation and guess what.. I'M BACK IN BUSINESS!!

See the awe was providing so much noise it like raise the whole loudness level of the mix so when
I was recording I was recording too loud plus if I wasn't recording too loud vocals would be like lost
in all the noise even on max 127 in cakewalk. Played thru my asrx and recorded the parts in
cakewalk now we have clarity. I've been using the awe for a while and never knew that it throws the whole sound off. It takes the punchiness out of the mix , fills it with mist. NOw all samples go to an outboard
sampler. All samples. not even one tiny thing. So theres no need for the awe64 except for a midi
interface.

Message 5/6             15-Aug-98  @  09:50 PM   -   RE: Mic / Mixer setup.

Noble

Is everybody doing this?? Got their soundcard Ins stuck into aux sends on their mixer.
How do you all monitor the mic; make it louder in your ears especially with the gina.
Because when I record vocals , I turn the mic channel's aux pre and post up to mid so thats
being sent to the gina 1 and 2 ins via the aux sends . Now in order to get my vocalist louder in
the headphones I have to turn up the Channel of the Gina 1 and 2 OUTs (which I got on a stereo)
Cuz i'm recording my vocals and listening thru the gina. If I cut the gina out channel to 0 then
I wouln't hear anything in the mic when speaking into the mic. Its annoying when you have drums
playing and turn up the gina out channel and all the recorded audio parts get louder with your voice as you speak.

I'm really interested in what other people are doing as far as monitoring their vocalists and getting
the mic thru the mixer and into the soundcard.

Message 6/6             16-Aug-98  @  02:04 AM   -   RE: Mic / Mixer setup.

kilo

well, surely (dont callme Shirley !!).... you just bring the Gina outs back into the mixer via channels right !?

so when monitoring... all the outgoing audio (PC), and midi devicesaudio outs, are coming into the mixer....... sosurley you just drop the Gina outs with the vocal on from the s/ware mixer....... if using it, or just drop the channel returns...... otherwise you have all the pc audio coming out of the same outs right ?!....... in which case, the only way is to cut out the audio out from the outgoing audio mix as you record, and monitor via the incoming channel/s....... if you want to hear the pc fx etc... then you need very low latency from the machine, and cut out the original incoming vocals

Viewing all 6 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 6 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)