aaa new OS to check out.. - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: new OS to check out..

Viewing all 6 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/6             26-Jul-98  @  06:17 PM   -   new OS to check out..

Astroman

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I was just reading in keyboard magazine about this new OS that runs on both macs and pcs called BeOS. Its supposedly been built from the ground up to be optimized for multimedia applications... including digital audio and midi. I checked out their website (www.be.com) and read up on it.... sounds really interesting... its not fully developed yet for the PC platform... the hardware support is rather limited... but they are shipping a copy now that can be had for $70... and supposedly in september a more fully functional release will be out. I think I'm gonna order myself a copy and install it on a seperate hard disk and check it out. The site has a list of software currently available for it.. included a wicked modular softsynth call objektsynth that claims like 3ms latency... and some kinda ReBirth clone. The article in Keyboard claimed that some of the big audio software companies had plans to port their programs to BeOS in the near future... wouldnt give any specific names though. So... has anyone else heard of this BeOS? Anyone have any experiences? Sounds like a dream come true to me... an alternative to Win95 thats been optimized for making music and will run on my existing hardware... just hope one of the big sequencers gets ported.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/6             26-Jul-98  @  10:06 PM   -   RE: new OS to check out..

Noize

BeOS is not that new (current version is 3.1), but its just plain great. I'm also waiting for the next release in the autumn (hopefully my isdn adapter will be supported in that release). I'm also a programmer and it should be f*ckin' EASY to program for! I've looked at the coder info on the site and it's very easy to mix audio from different programs to the same output (like DirectX). The OS is specifically programmed for media apps; many audio progs all already available (including some virtual synths and sequencers) and the 'big guys' should be supporting BeOS too in the future... Hmmz, if you got a Mac; it won't work with the new G3 'puters.. . =\ I guess Apple is scared because its better than MacOS and won't give the hardware details to Be because of that... BeOS features: (WARNING: LAME TECH TALK IS COMING)- 64-bit file system (more than a Terrabyte HD anyone?), -Memory management (no OS crashes here), - Multi-processor support (get maximum juice out of 4+ processors), - Posix (Unix / Linux) compatible (use those handy pipelined commands and textbased stuff), - Virtual Memory, - Great UI, - OpenGL...

Btw, no I don't work at BeOS (actually I don't have a job any more since 2 days ago) =\

Message 3/6             27-Jul-98  @  11:56 AM   -   RE: new OS to check out..

ahadjak

On the subject of alternative OS`s Gateway 2000 who owns Amiga ,plans a new version of the machine that had multimedia and multitasking right from the start. There are also some rumors that they are going to use parts of the Be-os kernel.The new machine will also have a new super chip that will be able to do real-time 3d rendering and will decode 4 mpeg videos at the same time! It is also said that 7 of the top 10 software houses have contacted Amiga Int. and they are interested in a new OS that will be more efficient and less resource hungry than Windows or Mac OS. for more information check out: http://www.amiga.com http://www.amiga.de

Message 4/6             27-Jul-98  @  06:35 PM   -   RE: new OS to check out..

Astro

Hey Noize.... can you recomend and good midi sequencers for BeOS? I'm a bit hesitant to buy this thing seeing as there dont seem to be any fully funtional sequencers for Intel yet. There were a few things on the BeWare page (www.be.com/beware/) that looked promising... "Q" looked alright... supposed to have analog sequencer type interface... but really couldnt find much info on it. Do you know of anything else other than what I saw on the BeWare page? That Edison multitrack audio program looked great too... looks similar to ACID... unfortunately it hasnt been ported to the Intel verison of Be yet. But that objektsynth alone may make the price of the OS worth it I guess. This BeOS does look really great... the more I read about it the more intriguing it becomes.... looks to totally blow Windows outa the water performance wise... ecspecially for audio apps. I just hope it gets some kinda support from the "big guys".

Message 5/6             27-Jul-98  @  09:53 PM   -   RE: new OS to check out..

Noize

Astro, I don't actually know anything about them sequencers for BeOS... cause I don't care, cause I'm planning to program one myself (which is much easier for BeOS than Windows 95 / 98)! Its gunna have a tracker interface with patterns and stuff (dance music orientated). Oh and about those problems with different PPC / Intel versions; this should be fixed in the next release with a cross-platform compiler (so you can make an PPC .exe on an Intel box and vice versa). All I can say wait for the coming release (R4) in september and don't buy the current one... Oh and I truly hope other cards than the sound blaster family are supported really soon which is very important for us (semi-)pro midi dudes...

Heh heh, on the subject on new OSes, have you seen FREEDOWS? An OS that will run MS-Dos, Windows 3.1 / 95 / 98 / NT, MacOS, Linux, AmigaOS... Yeah right! The idea just made me laugh!

Message 6/6             29-Jul-98  @  02:41 AM   -   RE: new OS to check out..

Astro

Noise, too late - I put my order in yesterday. It's all good though... I checked the hardware compatablity list and I'm in the clear. I've been doing a good bit or research on audio apps for BeOS and there's some really great stuff out there... check these out...

-Rack747: ReBirth x4. Up to 8 simultaneous 303 emulators running in realtime... along with an 808 and some effects. All can be controlled via MIDI and transmit MIDI note and controller data. (http://www.zog.net.au/dak/rack/index.html)

-Objectsynth: realtime modular software synth... all kinds of oscillators and filters and LFOs and effects you can chain together. A good deal of polyphony too if I remember right. And all triggered with like 0 latency.
(www.objektsynth.com)

-Audio Elements: Same type of deal... looks great but I dont think its realtime. (www.adamation.com)

Cant wait to see what you're tracker project looks like. Sounds really great.

I'm totally pumped about this BeOS thing now.. cant wait till it shows up in the mail later this week.

Viewing all 6 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 6 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)