aaa Alesis DM5 or DM Pro - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Alesis DM5 or DM Pro

Viewing all 6 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/6             24-Jul-98  @  04:52 AM   -   Alesis DM5 or DM Pro

Ferg

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

My brother just bought a set of drum trigger pads and wants to get either a DM5 or DM Pro. However, neither he nor I know what else he will need.

The pads came with what look like XLR cords but I'm quite sure that the drum box doesn't accept XLRs. I have heard that the Alesis line since the DM4 accept phono jacks at the back but even so, how does one assign the pads to specfic notes or instruments/sets?

Will he need to buy some kind of midi controller to assign notes/sets or can it be done from the box itself?

Are there any other boxes anyone would recommend in that price range with that level of versatility?

Thanks.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/6             24-Jul-98  @  07:00 AM   -   RE: Alesis DM5 or DM Pro

KILO

YES... YAMAH & ROLND BOTH MAKE GOOD 'BRAIN' UNITS....... you can find em second hand... we got one.. it is peachy... cant remeber the model number etc.. it's up at the live studio... not here..... i can find out if you hassle me enuff !!.. heh heh

Message 3/6             24-Jul-98  @  02:19 PM   -   RE: Alesis DM5 or DM Pro

skul

i have a DM5, and yes the trigger inputs are phono jacks. you can then setup which triggers control which notes within the DM5. haven't done it myself, but i imagine that it's real easy to do, cus the rest of the setup is very quick and easy. a lot of the sounds are very industrial-like, though there's a fairly broad palette, with plenty of more "normal" sounds as well. overall a nice, sturdy, good sounding (and probably cheap, now) peice of kit.

the DMPro would be a good choice as well, with the RAM card expansions.

personally I hate Roland sounds.

Message 4/6             24-Jul-98  @  02:59 PM   -   RE: Alesis DM5 or DM Pro

Ferg

So does the brain unit accept the XLR inputs then? How much does one of these things cost? Are there any new units you might recommend?

Skul, how do I get the signal from the pads onto phono jacks? Are there jack converters for XLR to phono? I suppose there would be. Do you know if the inputs can be assigned across kits as well as notes?

Message 5/6             24-Jul-98  @  06:32 PM   -   XLR to phono

skul

check yer local music shop, they should be able to sell you something like an 8 XLR to 8 phono cable, which would be a lot neater than getting converters for each cable you wanted to use.

i guess i don't understand the second question. if you mean can you save different trigger setups for each kit, i'm not sure. i can look into it tonight, but won't be able to give you an answer until monday.

Message 6/6             24-Jul-98  @  08:14 PM   -   RE: Alesis DM5 or DM Pro

99devils

Yes, you can set up each kit individually to respond to triggers with a DM5. Check out DM5MAN for windows (I forget where I got it, but the link's at www.synthzone.com).

The DM5 is a great machine, and the internal samples are multisampled and modeled to simulate the differing dynamics of hitting a physical drum harder or softer which makes them perfect for triggers. The DM pro includes the same features, but 1024 sounds (I think the DM5 has like 400 or so), and the ability for you to burn your own samples or use pre-made samples and burn them to PC-card. Nice box, but I got my DM5 scratch-n-dent for $250 US, and the DM-Pro is like $800.

Viewing all 6 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 6 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)