aaa anyone else ever wonder? - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: anyone else ever wonder?

Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Original Message                 Date: 19-Mar-04  @  08:13 PM   -   anyone else ever wonder?

influx

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

this is a post I threw up somewhere else. Didnt know what forum...go ahead and razz me if you think I chose the wrong one:

"I just spent the last few weeks doing some major changes in my studio setup. soundproofing, new desk, new audio interface.

and now I cant write jack shit. Ive had less and less hardware over the last few years, and my output has dropped significantly. The sound quality is much _cleaner_ now, and I have far more power at my disposal than ever before, but...

everything feels so cold and clinical now! That feeling of grabbing my old akai AX-60, juno106, waldorf pulse...gone. Now its just a mouse and a screen. I still have my virus of course, but somehow even that isnt as exciting anymore because I just make some sounds and then record them into cubase.

some of you are gonna shit their pants, but I actually kinda miss sequencing in midi. I dont miss HW sequencers, but...my old Atari Falcon! Yes, Im serious.

midi sequencing, realtime mixdowns (sending to effects, channel fades, playing with mutes)

I know Im definitely going against the grain here, as everyone is so in love with all that computers offer (heh, the thought of not having a UAD-1 anymore gives me the shakes I tell ya!)

but...anyone else think that maybe, truly, honestly, technology is slowly but surely removing the humanity from the music making equation?

Im not only talking about the "anyone can do it" aspect even though that is clearly true, but...just..the spontaneity, the hands on feel? the..."realness" of it?

oh and btw...nectarios..PLEASE...we know where you stand so...if youre gonna pull the "digital sucks" thing..just save it, ok? "

(the last part is for this guy there that CONSTANTLY throws his "yeah well, my ____ analog sounds WAY better than ____"

gets fckin old, so I dropped a preemptive strike on 'im

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 51/107             27-Mar-04  @  09:18 PM   -   RE: anyone else ever wonder?

roller8

Link?: Link

I've been spending a lot of time listening to and going to world music type shows. It's really changing my whole view on how I feel about music and the creation of it. I mean the diversity of the world at large really lifts off the invisible boundaries that your creative mind has about what sounds good, what's acceptable to the audience and what I scrap and keep from my writing sessions.

It may not make you write faster, or more etc etc (then again it might) but it can sure raise the level of the creative patterns IMO. At least it has for me. Plus seeing and experiencing what humans have done and are still doing musically with the most rudimentary instruments is mind blowing and a reminder of the power you have sitting in your seemingly modest or even inadequate studio...

Good advice up there. I hope to be on the prolific wagon agin very shortly.  

Message 52/107             29-Mar-04  @  06:51 AM   -   RE: anyone else ever wonder?

jeffy

Link?:  No link

Of course, when I have a creative slump it usually means I'm not smoking enough marijuana...

Ok, only kidding.

Message 53/107             29-Mar-04  @  12:44 PM   -   RE: anyone else ever wonder?

mcc>

of course.....there came a time when everything failed to make sense and one of those was my reason for doing music. i was convinced i completely sucked and had no right to even suggest i had anything to offer and was merely going through the motions etc.
so i disconnected every piece of wire and equipment and disconnected the pc for about 3 months....and read and absorbed film.

i think reading is a great source of inspiration.
kesey
vonnegut
huxley
adams
terkel
twain
vidal
all the old yippies
biographies of the great and notorious
etc.
probably our richest source of knowledge is the cheapest and still the most-neglected.

of course...nothing tops personal pain and tragedy for inspiration....
but that's not something you can turn on and off like a switch.

Message 54/107             29-Mar-04  @  03:26 PM   -   RE: anyone else ever wonder?

craig

Yeah, I second that. I've been pretty inspired by Tolkien and Frank Herbert lately... Not that I'm going to start making Hobbit music   But the scale and depth and detail of their work captivates me.. I try to make my songs as detailed and captivating too.

Obviously I'm no Tolkien but I have fun trying.

Message 55/107             29-Mar-04  @  04:25 PM   -   RE: anyone else ever wonder?

mcc>

big sf fan myself at one time.....i still have tons of books i should sell.

you ever check out ursula le guin?

Message 56/107             29-Mar-04  @  06:48 PM   -   RE: anyone else ever wonder?

Battleship

disconnecting really isn't a bad idea.

(this thread has kept me thinking all weekend.)

If you feel like you have too much control over shit, maybe you need to handicap yourself. Make a song with only a sequencer and drum machine, or try doing something without drums all together. Try making only childrens music for a bit. I had a friend you only let himself sample classical music. Try that. Try sampling only records that you can buy in a 50 cent bin. Write only in alternate timings.

I'm also a big believer in playing with others. If you can play guitar or something, even a bongo drum or some shit, find a couple of buddies and jam. You don't have to make anything of it, but it might help you break out of your zone and let you enjoy the creative process in new ways.

Personally I think it is difficult to program with others, unless you have two people working with relatively close setups, but running live instruments and jamming on a simple tune that everybody knows can be done in an afternoon.

Do your friends suck and think that a jam session is lame? Ditch em and go join a taiko drumming group. Find a capoira school and see if you can drum with them. Take a course in piano technique at a community college. Sit in with a choir. Just get yourself out of the studio for a while and make music in different ways.

Your in a rut. Crank the wheel a bit and get off road.

Message 57/107             29-Mar-04  @  07:05 PM   -   RE: anyone else ever wonder?

Audio Alchemist

Nice thread influx...
I have read a few posts within the forums of people producing tracks live w-h/w.
I love working like this and almost always do. Definately more creative flow..for me anyways.

xoxo..got any more shrooms? =)

Message 58/107             29-Mar-04  @  07:11 PM   -   RE: anyone else ever wonder?

cydonia cell

AHhhhhh, Craig

Beware... Tolkein Rock died in the 70's....

Yes, ELP, hell even Led Zeppelin were guilty. Don't go down that moss covered road!

;)

e

Message 59/107             29-Mar-04  @  09:18 PM   -   RE: anyone else ever wonder?

craig

No no no, I'm not interested in making music that's lyrically inspired by these works.. There's too much juicy shit in the here and now   Besides I don't write lyrics.

-Craig

Message 60/107             29-Mar-04  @  09:50 PM   -   RE: anyone else ever wonder?

Battleship

I think, if gear manufacturers sold little trained monkeys to do all the stupid crap we have to do--like trim samples, set up gains, dial through all those lame factory presets that suck, pack our bongs, alphabetize or records, hit the reset buttons on the power strip, do our laundry, etc--everything would be a whole lot better. When are they gonna come out with those?!?

Ok sorry, I'm not helping again...

Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

There are 107 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)