aaa I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :( - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

Pages: 1 ... 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Original Message                 Date: 08-May-02  @  06:31 PM     Edit: 08-May-02  |  07:11 PM   -   I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

Zink

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Why do people think I'm a DJ when I say that I produce dance music? The countless people that don't get it really pisses me off... Arrgghhh!!

I really don't understand how they can get the two things confused. They even think I scratch records!!!

I'm not just talking about just the totally clueless people, but even some of the raver kids get things confused.

Why is techno production such a dark and confusing art to outsiders??

And another thing is the 'Proper' musicians who look down on what we do seem to think that we just use presets and string them together. Maybe this is because their only experience of electronic music is those awful Yamaha PSR keyboards?

I took a real sceptic into my studio and showed him what I do - Write, Compose, Sequence, Record sounds, Route effects, create original patches, mix and finally master.

His head really spun and I think he gained a new found respect for me.

Anybody else feel this way?? Anybody??? Anyone??

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 51/66             13-May-02  @  08:39 PM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

Pongoid

Link?: Link

I've been runninginto this for years and if folks go deep enough into the archives here, they'll find plenty on this topic. I met an amazing producer/DJ who kind of put a little faith back into the idea that the two can exist well in one person. Claude Young. Found out he was the guy on the board for Inner City's 'Good Life'. Monster on the decks and cool person, but he's more of an exception than a rule. Another thing is that I rarely call myself a 'producer'. I am a musician. Period. I sometimes play my bass at gigs, onstage as well as other stuff. As for 'traditional' musicians looking own their noses at me, it just doesn't happen. It may have at one time, but then I asked to come to their studios, and jammed with them, then brought them to one of my gigs, and the respect was no longer a question, nor the validity of the work. These problems come from simple lack of education, and most folks these days don't get enough shit for showing ignorance ine these areas. If somebody asks a stupid question, I wouldn't say burn them completely, but definately a little barb is in order, like of somebody asks a stupid question like 'wow dude, that was cool...uh...where are the decks?' it behooves at least a scowl, or if somebody comes up and says anything like a request or whatever, they definately need some anger thrown at them for the simple lack of respect, and breach of etiquette. Folks need some education, it's as simple as that. We are not doing enough to educate them. Also, I think that it may be time for a change in how things are being approached in this medium. I think folks are being left too much to their own on the dancefloor, getting numbed instead of stimulated, as well as the way that this music is being presented, that being that you have one DJ, or one possibly two artists at a time, but rarely a large collaboration like a band, or a Jazz session. Maybe it's time to start engaging folks' attention a litte bit more rather than just letting them be pumped full of intoxicants to find their own ways through their trips at a party or club. For a long time, even if it has grown otherwise, it was intended that tekno in whatever form remained a kind of 'faceless' music, and the DJ or artist was not to be regarded as too much of a spectacle, but to the contrary, the people on the dancefloor were the spectacle, and at a good party, they still are. Maybe it's time to start presenting these things more like a spectacle, instead of half-assing about it like we have been for the past twelve years. More live collaboration, more of the Jazz aesthetic, where the folks onstage have less personal ego involved but rather bring items to the table to be discussed in a sonic dialogue. DJ's will still have their place as messengers, but maybe it's time to give them the fucking smack-down they need. This DJ as hero shit has gone on long enough. Thoughts?

Ape

Message 52/66             14-May-02  @  07:03 PM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

Kevin Saunderson

But didn't I write good life with him? Thats my song!As is Big fun my good friend

Message 53/66             14-May-02  @  08:17 PM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

Pongoid

Nobody denies that, just that it was Claude on the board. That's what he told me any how. I saw the board too, at Mike's place. Nice piece of gear. It was for sale last time I was there, but it may be sold by now.

Ape

Message 54/66             14-May-02  @  08:18 PM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

Pongoid

And after all that, the only thing anybody's got to say is somebody talkin shit like their somebody else, and that's it? Come on, people. Read. Speak up.

Ape

Message 55/66             14-May-02  @  08:22 PM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

xoxos

no offense my long-standing friend, but i don't read anything w/o returns :p

Message 56/66             03-Apr-04  @  10:04 AM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

casparproject

Link?:  Link

Just to correct the story, that guy came up to me 'while' playing a live set, and said
"Hey man, you got any different records?"

Ouch

Message 57/66             03-Apr-04  @  03:56 PM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

damballah

well, howdy dj casparproject!

Message 58/66             03-Apr-04  @  04:11 PM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

Broken Silence

hahahahahaha

back in the day when i started i even called myself a "trance dj"

and i started with a PSR yamaha keyboard, no shit!

How about them apples

Message 59/66             03-Apr-04  @  09:35 PM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

micromusic

what i hate is when my friends ask me when i'm spinning again, or djing again, even though they KNOW i do a live pa and haven't spun records for a year. I DONT SPIN!! ITS CALLED A LIVE PA! GET IT RIGHT, PLEASE!

Message 60/66             04-Apr-04  @  08:05 AM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

mcc>

hi...i'm clay and i am not a dj either.....
though i would like to be one day when i grow up.

Pages: 1 ... 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

There are 66 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)