aaa motivation - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: motivation

Pages: 1 ... 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Original Message                 Date: 07-Aug-04  @  08:55 AM   -   motivation

panama

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

I sit here with this keyboard and my Macintiosh and wonder about motivation. We
as a group compose beats, noise, and maybe a melody, but why? Is it motivation
or time killed or a good fuck (for our mind)? What motivates us? I get into my room
with all my expensive electronics and push buttons. PUSH BUTTONS? ok, I am a
Master Control Operator for TV. I push lots of butttons and I am not motivated. I
like TV but I like money too, which I make from pushing buttons. Cut to cut, edit to
edit. I put stuff together. BUT, the motivation in music is different. Do I think of
money, no. It silences the world. It keeps me from going mad when my girlfriend
hates and cheats on me. I am motivated to vent my filth. is it filth tho? GOD DAMN
ART! where's the art? I push buttons, I DO NOT bleed while I push piano keys to
bleed in the index. I say, hello macintosh, dear diary, you are much more forgiving
when I am motivated. HA!

FUCK! what is music then? heh, we know then. I have much respect a dude like
Paul Van Dyrk who makes a fabulous track with a chick going: "ERRRMMMM
dAYYYY AHHHH YYEAAA". What the fuck is it about with electronic music then?

so I thereby say, what motivates you (while you know the truth). It's all crap but its
soo good. EVER SHIT on the TOILET and felt, DAMN, I FEEL great while I SHIT.
I'm not ragging like a whore whose dried up a rag crusted to a piece of a card
stock. Leaving you wondering, HOW AM I GONNA WIPE MYSELF? but with the
intelligent notion that what does it all mean? and why are you motivated? and does
it make sense? Is it just easy, or just the latest tool in creation for your motivation
and self-worth?

damn, I love the guys who make money on there electronodal music,

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 51/89             12-Aug-04  @  04:12 PM   -   RE: motivation

xoxos

Link?: Link

and to demand everyone to conform to these forms? hardly, cos conformity wouldn't be showing anything to noobs. you make "this is dancetech" a ground for everybody only doing one thing and hasta

if someone's doing shit to fill a form and the form is crap, eg. detrimental to life on earth, then ffs they ought to grow some perspective. this planet doesn't need a bunch of sorry ass wankers sitting in boxes tossing off with electrical power for the duration of their lives does it. that's a fuck load of good there.

what "it" needs atm are aware, communicating people. oc "it" is really more like your children and their children than some ridiculous personified globe, but you call it how you sees it.

Message 52/89             12-Aug-04  @  05:56 PM   -   RE: motivation

CydoniaCell

I've met 4 people in my life that weren't ignorant, self absorbed and dysfunctional (I'm not one of those 4)

Who are we to pretend we know how things should be?

Seems awfully arrogant to me...

but then, I suppose I'm pretending to know what's best here as well...

I'm just thinking... hmmm... I get your drift xoxos, and I might even say that those who sit on their hands are as guilty as those who act out, then I think, "that all depends on the motivations of the hand sitters"

But I worry when anyone chimes in with, "What the world needs..." in the same breath they used to exclude and condem. I admire anyone who can be hypersensitive to the results of their actions ("more like your children and their children than some ridiculous personified globe").

But what makes you think you're qualified to determine what's right, or needed?

e

Message 53/89             12-Aug-04  @  06:25 PM   -   RE: motivation

craig

I repeat,

But what makes you think you're qualified to determine what's right, or needed?

If you think people's lives are sad and pathetic then leave them to their sad, pathetic lives..

Message 54/89             12-Aug-04  @  07:25 PM   -   RE: motivation

k

the topic has started again to slither into that same bullshit - i'm absolutely sick to the back teeth of it, so it's time for it to die I'm afraid... no more of it.

anyways - my motivation is partly aesthetic, partly financial, i can bend if the money is wafting in my direction  

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 55/89             12-Aug-04  @  11:18 PM   -   RE: motivation

mcc>

there can be no rules which can't be broken.

music has a life of it's own despite what it's makers might think.

a sparrow is only a sparrow unless you know what it's singing.

Message 56/89             13-Aug-04  @  01:28 AM   -   RE: motivation

psylichon

The trigger for most of my tracks is a new sound. I just get off on things I haven't heard before. That's why I put piano, strings, and arps on all my tunes :PPPP

Yeah, maybe i need a new synth...

Message 57/89             13-Aug-04  @  03:41 AM   -   RE: motivation

xoxos

it's funny, y'know, or maybe you don't.. ..because i don't recall maligning anyone's taste in music. nice of y'all to paint that in for me tho.

yes, i think anyone who does electronic music purely because they enjoy it is selfish; if you disagree then i would say you have a very limited understanding of the term.

now, this is dancetech, and as such, concerned individuals gravitate who have a respect for the power of communication we present.

as fickle as it may be, i quoted (paraphrased) "this is dancetech" in protest of the suggestion that bedwyr potter off and make a dance track because "this is dancetech.." as some sort of dance music production fascism .: my "cater to established forms" clause.

my argument was that it is banal to suggest that those who are concerned with global issues not speak.

i don't care if you make trance or what you make. quote me where i've shat on trance if you can. not i. no.

now i believe that any contemporary soul should recognise the tribulation present in this era. don't you agree? wouldn't you say? any conscientious person who professes an aptitude coupled with such an awareness could surely not simply make music for selfish reasons. i imagine that on some level, the potential would have to present itself fairly often within the course of one's activity, and thus any statement such as "i make music only because i like it" could not be true, unless conditions were present that would disengage the conscience, eg. christianity or other patterning, since conscience seems to be present in most feral anima.

you see, it would be fantastic imo if people were to scrutinise their motives instead of simply being enthusiastic about their presence. it would be really special, yep. cos you know why, is motivations are like the main things, maaan.. the maiin things... erm, that we act upon.

see? me. not vs. any style. happy now? i've tried to make this sound as political and slimy as i can. it's my diplomatic style (well except for te end.)

do you give a fuck wha style? no.

stop hammering eg. environmental responsibility? what you think, big laugh?

Message 58/89             13-Aug-04  @  07:10 AM   -   RE: motivation

mcc>

i think it's quite apparent just by listening to people's music what many of their motivations are.
though i certainly wouldn't say self-enjoyment is a sin or crime....to any degree....
or even making money>
i also believe that there should be much more to it than that.

i'm not for rules and regulations saying there should be more and better reasons
to make music than a simple love of making noise...
but deep down....
it's the music that does the talking and final deciding in this respect.

if there is no feeling human-being behind the music (even if it's "emotional" music) this will often reveal itself in unfortunate ways....
as these exercises in the expression of nothing will certainly begin to wear thin.....their lack of purpose staring all those in the face who encounter it.
if there is a feeling human behind it but one who denies his feelings...then this too will manifest in strange ways as artist and audience try to connect the work to its creator....to the audience and back to the song again.
if there is purpose....it will be in evidence....whether the artist can
verbalize it or not.

motivation is a mysterious thing.

and yet just what motivates people might still be the most important question of all.

Message 59/89             13-Aug-04  @  10:14 AM   -   RE: motivation

k

well as far as I can see, people make music cos they want to

imitate (inspired by something they love & want to also do it)

create (it comes from within soley and it's relevence to anything else is not an issue)

have a job (creating being therefore the act of a 'jobbing' musician working to a remit - like a welder or engineer makes things people ask for, for money,, but in his spare time makes sculptures out of spare bits of metal and engineering parts, but 'welding' is his job

take the last 3 months. I've done:

film music. The job there was to help produce score that had been previously written

some commercial demo tracks for a published writer which needed to be turned into a tangible audio example of the material for the publishing house

remixes of the above for more variety

Played guitar at some gigs for a band i play in (not my material, so it's furthering someone elses ideas by helping present them live)

Personal stuff, just things I like - so that's a typical pattern of what onew does - some for oneself, some for others, both either paid or not depending - Coming up is more of the same, remixes of stuff done previously that's going to be released (club anthems/pop sorta stuff), and some (hopefuly) more film score for a TV documentary.

i dont really question my motivations, i just see the red bills & remember what I OWE & what I need to buy... and act  

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 60/89             13-Aug-04  @  03:50 PM   -   RE: motivation

mcc>

since when did you start owing money k?

anyway.....what i was getting at>

(besides the basic practical motives behind particular projects...such as fixing up other people's previously-written scores and syncing stuff to film or performing a guitar-part in a band...eliminating noise from a vocal track.....etc)

is the how and why of so-called modern original electronic music>
of electronic songwriters>....
of actually writing music.....
how some people can take songs in a certain direction and arrive at the notion
that it is some way original or worthy of other people's time and attention.
this, somehow in relation to the financial expenditure required to produce the track.....
the time it takes to construct and refine it......
then the time it takes to take the message to it's audience.....
and then the time it takes for the audience to experience it....and finally,
if taken this far....
to analyze it...discuss it....and then perhaps re-experience it
as a result of whatever satisfaction it was originally perceived to have brought
the listener.

the task, therefore, would seem to create an experience or consciousness which might stir something within the listener which might open one's consciousness...or
elevate certain aspects of the pleasure idiom in such a way as to make the
unspoken message (music) somewhat available and worthwhile for all.

for me, this has always equated into creating something which 1) might open some new door simply by creating juxtapositons of elements in even slightly fresh new ways.....hopefully not experienced in this specific manner prior to the current experience and 2) by creating pleasure...something resembling welcome.....be it home (mother) or some new undiscovered pasture....perhaps even the roll of fine generous tongue on one's phallus....whatever that pleasure may be.....it is essential in the furthering of any message...be it political spiritual or otherwise.

the promise of fulfillment is key.

no good soldier (emphasis on good) goes into battle without some declaration within one's self that glory awaits him...if not on this earth.....
then in some beyond that calls and beckons to him.

through that simple motivation.....greatness is often achieved.

and yet the mystery remains....eternal.

Pages: 1 ... 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

There are 89 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)