aaa Yamaha DX21 - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

06-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Yamaha DX21

Pages: 1 ... 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Original Message                 Date: 19-Jul-98  @  11:48 AM   -   Yamaha DX21

Geek

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Sorry, I think thats what its called or the 27?
Anyway, u knowz anything about this synth? I dont! Whats it good for?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 51/76             13-Aug-98  @  08:36 PM   -   RE: Yamaha DX21

kilo

nope....dx9 was 4 operator.... dx7....six... dx9 is hefty metal cased unit.... not sure, but think it's the upper version of the cheaper 4 OP units... maybe velocity keys??...anyone??.... the dx21 & 27...er... 4 op... again not sure... maybe split key-able, dunno fer sure....... all were mono-timbrel as far as i know, (unless you find a dx7 with a Grey-Matter board fitted...)

Message 52/76             13-Aug-98  @  10:32 PM   -   RE: Yamaha DX21

browngirl

I hate to have to say this but if it was DX100 or DX9 what would it be?

Message 53/76             14-Aug-98  @  11:04 PM   -   RE: Yamaha DX21

ivan

I think the DX100 is the better choice. But if you don't need the miniature keyboard the TX81z is better.

The best of the DX-series is probably a DX7-IIFD with E!, but the best FM Yamaha ever made was the SY-99 - 16 waveforms, resonant filters, possibility to FM samples, endless feedback loops and so on. Sick.

Message 54/76             15-Aug-98  @  12:57 AM   -   RE: Yamaha DX21

kilo

yup... of the two, despite the small keys....dx-100 wins it.... cos you get loadsa classic presets/... ok... you can make em too.... but it's nice....

Message 55/76             15-Aug-98  @  04:13 PM   -   RE: Yamaha DX21

browngirl

I've already got that TX81Z, but shall I invest in the DX100 - is it easier to learn/use? How many keys does it have?

Kilo, got a pic?

Message 56/76             16-Aug-98  @  01:52 AM   -   RE: Yamaha DX21

kilo

well stick with that then......i would

Message 57/76             16-Aug-98  @  03:40 AM   -   RE: Yamaha DX21

buggo

I've heard you lot say FM is good for a lot more than just basses, like it can do pads and bells and stuff.....but does anyone feel like making an RA file featuring some FM synth and posting it somewhere so the masses can hear it? I for one would be quite interested to hear some stuff from an FM unit, as my only experience thus far was with a $20 soundblaster sound card with a 2op FM synth built in...

Message 58/76             16-Aug-98  @  01:38 PM   -   RE: Yamaha DX21

browngirl

so my TX81Z has got everything that the 100 has got plus more? I still can't use the damn thing!

Message 59/76             16-Aug-98  @  10:53 PM   -   RE: Yamaha DX21

ivan

Try this:

1) Set up a operator pair that looks something like this:

____
| 2 |-| (feedback)
---- |
|---
____
| 1 |
-----
|

2) then set the frequency of 1 and 2 to 1.00. Feedback 7

3) Max the volume of 1, set volume of 2 to something around 60-70. Now you should have a sawtooth. Set the frequency of 2 to 2.00 and you have a square. Set it to 3.00 and you get ?. Anything with odd ratios (1.00/1.33) gives a lot of strange frequencies, and that's good for bells and metallic sounds.

There's a small guide to FM programming on the DX100 (I think) somewhere on the net. I'm thinking of making a web site with some small tips for FM programming and other stuff (and I want a FM synth with knobs... Nord Modular?)

Message 60/76             17-Aug-98  @  03:49 AM   -   RE: Yamaha DX21

Influx

Link?:  Link

Browngirl-what do you mean you cant use it? I hope this doesnt sound like an insult, but you relize that you need a controller to trigger it, right? If thats not it, then why are you having a hard time? Are you talking about programming it-is that the trouble? It is, uh, involved, but Im getting along, and getting some decent sounds outta mine, including ultra lows, and grindy distorted basses.
Buggo-the bells and all that shit are found as presets on the TX (some are cool, some are, well, hokey) but the fun is mangling those sounds.
Hey Brownie-email me at influx5150@hotmail.com and Ill help as much as possible.

Pages: 1 ... 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

There are 76 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)