aaa I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :( - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

Viewing all 66 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 7

Original Message 1/66             08-May-02  @  06:31 PM     Edit: 08-May-02  |  07:11 PM   -   I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

Zink

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Why do people think I'm a DJ when I say that I produce dance music? The countless people that don't get it really pisses me off... Arrgghhh!!

I really don't understand how they can get the two things confused. They even think I scratch records!!!

I'm not just talking about just the totally clueless people, but even some of the raver kids get things confused.

Why is techno production such a dark and confusing art to outsiders??

And another thing is the 'Proper' musicians who look down on what we do seem to think that we just use presets and string them together. Maybe this is because their only experience of electronic music is those awful Yamaha PSR keyboards?

I took a real sceptic into my studio and showed him what I do - Write, Compose, Sequence, Record sounds, Route effects, create original patches, mix and finally master.

His head really spun and I think he gained a new found respect for me.

Anybody else feel this way?? Anybody??? Anyone??

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/66             08-May-02  @  06:32 PM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

Zink

Just venting...

Mooky.

Message 3/66             08-May-02  @  06:38 PM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

damballah

Link?: Link

why do you think raver kids aren't totally clueless? anyway, yes, I feel this way: I have new found respect for you, too. ;)

Message 4/66             08-May-02  @  06:58 PM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

dru

Link?:  Link

There are a whole lot of producers who dj as well. Maybe most people assume that djing is part of the whole deal. Maybe it should be in a way.. cuz it's a good channel for exposure as an artist if you've gained any respect as a dj.

I know some dj folks who don't know much about making music at all, but have people basically waiting for them to learn. All they will have to do is make some half-assed simple-type tracks and will already have labels ready to release it.

If I was a bit more determined to succeed (make a living) at this- I think djing would be one of the most critical things I would engage in beyond making tracks. It's like an interface with the dance community.

Get some decks dude.. you won't regret it.

Message 5/66             08-May-02  @  07:08 PM     Edit: 08-May-02  |  07:09 PM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

Maarten

Reminds me of this newyears eve few years back, believe I mentioned this before... There was this live act (big synths and everything in clear view.) Two kids standing to the right of me screaming to eachother how cool this track we're hearing is by DJ"NotTheActualArtist".... sad really.

-M-

Message 6/66             08-May-02  @  07:13 PM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

Drop

Bollocks. Dj's should stick to DJing and producers to producing. There are too many producers who become big and then get offered DJ gigs. 99% of them are shit DJ's. For example:

Great Producers who are shit DJs:

16b, Bushwacka, James Holden, Joey Negro, Full Intention and Freq Nasty.

I think DJing is an artform and challenge anyone to travel the world, deal with airports, jet lag, constantly keep on top of your records, practice and then find the time to produce and a record in your own studio. It just don't happen. That's why alot of the top DJ's have production partners who do all the work and then put it out under the DJ's name.

Djing is bloody hard work as you get nearer the top 100.

Message 7/66             08-May-02  @  07:33 PM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

dru

true.. you can't expect a good producer to be a good dj, or vice versa. But if you can spin AND produce- even if you only have a good local footing- it can make a world of difference.

I am both- so I will do both. I was just really noting that djs seem to get an easy ticket into production stuff if they've established a following of some sort. So, if your a good dj and are producing good music- I would say to make sure that they complement one another because they undoubtedly will.

I myself am much more intrigued by the creation of music- so I probably don't do much justice to the stacks of vinyl I've collected. But I keep the avenues open for what I feel like doing. If I feel like throwin' down some shit and tear off a few heads- then cool. I think it would be grand to have a full set of my own tracks that I'd just hop around town playing for people- passing out free cds and shit. If you don't dj then you should do some live gigging or something.. Ya know- out of sight out of mind?

Message 8/66             08-May-02  @  08:00 PM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

david g

oh hi dru

Message 9/66             08-May-02  @  08:12 PM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

influx

zink. I have people that have known me for years, and have known that I sit in my room for hours on end making noises, and they STILL ask me "You still spinnin stuff?"

Argh!

Message 10/66             08-May-02  @  08:29 PM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

dru

And there are those who don't know their ass from a hole in the wall. Whenever I have mentioned that I dj to regular folk- they immediately assume that I know how to scratch records. And then I go through the shpeel about how my objective is to 'blend' songs together.

Or people will say, "huh, I didn't know that they still make vinyl records!"

Wattup David! Howz it been?

peace

Message 11/66             08-May-02  @  08:40 PM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

xoxos

just turn around and go back into the studio. welcome to the evolutionary uhh.. i mean like welcome to evolution.

Message 12/66             08-May-02  @  08:51 PM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

master yen

stop complaining and educate, somebodys got to start teaching the basics.. offer links to an explanation of what you do..

the ravers will take a little more work on.. i thinks

Message 13/66             08-May-02  @  08:53 PM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

99devils

CasparProject told me he once did a gig with a pile of synths and no turntables in sight. When he was done, someone came up to him and said "Man, you are the best DJ ever!"

-Craig

Message 14/66             08-May-02  @  09:07 PM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

jp

maybe consider hanging out in different circles. i mean, the people who don't know sh!t are usually not at the places i go. but maybe i am spoiled in san francisco where the people who come out are extreemly educated in music. in any case, i think people usually respond well to a good show...and who cares to what degree they know about it as long as they know when it's good. and i don't think you should have to have a degree in music to enjoy it. just taste 

Message 15/66             08-May-02  @  09:35 PM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

david g

oh hi dru

Message 16/66             08-May-02  @  09:41 PM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

dru

errr, uh..

oh hi david

Message 17/66             08-May-02  @  10:17 PM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

Jon

Do these good producers *become* over night DJ's just to promote/spin their own records?

sasha comes to mind

Message 18/66             08-May-02  @  10:33 PM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

kettlecup

Freq Nasty not a good DJ?
Sasha a producer THEN a DJ?
Where am I?

Message 19/66             08-May-02  @  11:52 PM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

Zink

I've been tempted to get decks in the past, because I figured it would teach me a thing or two about how set building works and what makes a track 'mixable', but in the end I don't have the space or time. I did get Traktor and fook with it a bit for fun, though.

Maybe this is an American phenomenon??? I think people are just so used to Geetars here or something?? I grew up in England watching all the British Eighties bands on TV with their Synths and stuff and kinda got it from an early age.

Whhaaaaaa!!!! Somebody just came to my desk and Asked if the CD I was playing was something I did and motioned with their hand as if they were scratching!! BUM!!!

Message 20/66             08-May-02  @  11:58 PM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

dj19

some guy I was developing a frienship with
who was a musician(guitarist) and singer
insulted me by saying that we all are "hiding
behind machines" lol, when I play my synths I
feel naked.

anyways, I broke ties off with him and he
doesnt realize by making that statement that
he plays with technology too like an amp, mic
and electric guitar.

Message 21/66             09-May-02  @  12:08 AM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

Zink

I'm amazed at how most 'real' bands now are actually sequenced. Sure, they play live, but when they lay down their studio tracks, a lot of it is cut up and looped anyway.

I say that this makes it Techno (in the general sense), even though it doesn't sound like it.

Sod em all!  

Message 22/66             09-May-02  @  01:05 AM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

errata

Get used to it and stop complaining. I've always been amazed at how "seriously" electronic musicians want to be taken. Like being called a DJ somehow implies that you're less of an artist. I know you want people to know what you do and get it right but they won't. The culture calls the guy in front of the dancefloor a DJ!!! That's how it is.

Other musicians DO feel that we hide behind gear and do nothing but program loops. They are learning the difference but it takes time! Call yourself a producer and let them know that you do all the multi-tracking, programming and recording... That you don't pay other people to make you sound good and they'll learn!!!

T

Message 23/66             09-May-02  @  02:03 AM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

Fusion

and i thought it was just me......

my girlfriend introduces me to her sister and she says 'oh your that dj from college arnt you'

turned out she saw me goning into the studio at college.

and for that i will be forever branded the 'd ing j'

i have nothing against djs, its just that every time its like oh so your a dj then, dj, dj, dj, dj, dj, dj, dj, dj, dj, dj, dj, dj, dj, dj, dj,

sigh........

i give up

Fusion :|

Message 24/66             10-May-02  @  02:06 AM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

dj19

Ill mention djs who are awsome producers

like...John "the Jellybean" Benitez
Arthur Baker
Africa Baambata
The Chemical Brothers

from what I know about these guys they
started off as djs and then went into producing
their own music

Message 25/66             10-May-02  @  02:20 AM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

Zink

I'll ask again - Is this mainly an American Phenomenon?? People in England seemed to understand what I did, no problem. They grasped that it was something to do with keyboards and synths and NOT scratching or Mixing Records.

I dunno...

Strange.

MOOOOOOOKLE.

Message 26/66             10-May-02  @  10:02 AM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

oz.

yes it is mostly in the states i think. the party people here think its all about the dj. the dj is god. ing pathetic little joke. i have been a rather succesful dj for over 10 years. people just dont comprehend that you are only playing others music. it is disgusting really. thats why i had to quit doing it.

being a dj takes not even 1/10 the time and talent of being a good producer. especially live p.a.'s. these fuggin kids would rather see a dj most of the time than a live p.a. its a disgrace.

please dont give up zinc. the future of electronic music will watch dj's fall by the side and live music producers,performers and bands will become more prevelent.

i hate to bash on the dj's. i have been one and i respect the scene that they have helped create. i enjoy dancing and talented dj's that control a flow. but we must try to educate these ignorant people (not all of them) that there is more to our music than dj's!!

THERE IS TO MUCH AT STAKE HERE THAN SOMEONE PLAYING RECORDS.

Message 27/66             10-May-02  @  11:51 AM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

Drop

"the future of electronic music will watch dj's fall by the side."

That is the single most stupid statement I've read on Dancetech for a long while.

The DJ's job is to present music. The good DJ's do this well and it requires talent and practice.

Message 28/66             10-May-02  @  01:04 PM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

proximus

being a dj is not just being able to mix properly.. you also gotta get the crowd going

Message 29/66             10-May-02  @  01:24 PM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

xoxos

hate to go on with the yank bashing (people get so enthusiastic) but seriously, we have a problem here. some of these people live in such a quarantined little world, which isn't a problem until they grow up to be world leaders and such, as is their american-born given right.

Message 30/66             10-May-02  @  03:18 PM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

damballah

yeah, g'head, call yourself a "producer," that'll make "real" musicians take you more seriously.

"the single most stupid statement I've read on Dancetech in a long time" whew! guess I'm off the hook, then.

this isn't an american phenomenon, it's an idiot phenomenon. apparently there's even dutch idiots! who knew? I always had this hunch the big problem with dubya and cheney was that they couldn't tell the difference between between a live pa and a dj (pronounced dee-hay) when they're rollin' at a ra.., errr, "party".

Message 31/66             10-May-02  @  03:48 PM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

proximus

",which isn't a problem until they grow up to be world leaders and such, as is their american-born given right."

You've been reading too much Dilbert lately  

Message 32/66             10-May-02  @  04:02 PM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

xoxos

not likely!  

Message 33/66             10-May-02  @  04:59 PM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

errata

Don't take me the wrong way. I don't mean to say that producers should be taken more seriously, or that you or I should care. Just that for the most part electronic musicians ARE more producer less musician (in a traditional sense). And that speaks volumes to ignorant people who don't know better.

errata

Message 34/66             10-May-02  @  05:11 PM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

dj hans

my hovercraft is full of eels.

Message 35/66             10-May-02  @  05:13 PM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

Zink

Just to point out - I'm not bashing DJ's in any way - I understand what they do is an art form and a lot of producers owe a lot to them for the exposure.

So, it appears to be a world wide idiot problem, not just USA.

:D

Message 36/66             10-May-02  @  05:34 PM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

Drop

What was the question again?

Message 37/66             10-May-02  @  10:09 PM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

dru

Those who don't take a moment to see things through the eyes of others will always inferiorate the purpose of others..

I struggle each day to refine my musical expressions and technical production skills- yet even people so close as my wife don't really comprehend the amount of ingenuity and pure effort that electronic music production requires.

Hell, before I dove into this stuff- I didn't have a clue that things were so detailed in every sense of the word. Every single sound is so much a product of your expression. I guess beforehand I probably thought it was all about some samples, a few effects, and good arrangement.

But I usually share my accomplishments with friends (even musically inclined friends)- and I can tell from their reactions that they don't really fathom the difficulty involved in pulling this stuff from my mind and materializing it...

I can be totally emphatic and they'll just look at me with this complacent sort of bewilderment. "What's he all excited bout? That track wasn't ALL THAT!"

Skrew'em.

I like DT. All my best friends that I'll never meet.. the irony!

Message 38/66             10-May-02  @  10:45 PM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

influx

". I guess beforehand I probably thought it was all about some samples, a few effects, and good arrangement."

how funny that often this is just the case?

Message 39/66             10-May-02  @  11:12 PM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

pedant

aye aye aye

"I struggle each day to refine my musical expressions and technical production skills- yet even people so close as my wife don't really comprehend the amount of ingenuity and pure effort that electronic music production requires."

yeah but the way that we can all agree here is to stop making generalisations.

"I struggle each day to refine my musical expressions and technical production skills- yet even people so close as my wife don't really comprehend the amount of ingenuity and pure effort that MY electronic music production requires."

there that's better  

but you're right anyway, dru, just using you as an example. would you lot stop bloody lumping me in with sitar and influx's noisy bonk-bnk drum music? two different hovercrafts.

Message 40/66             11-May-02  @  12:14 AM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

Hydrofonix

The worst is I'll say "I produce electronic music"
and the person says "oh who do you produce?" Like I'm some f**king asshole that drives my brand new BMW to the studio, says "good work guys" touches a couple nobs on a mixing board, says "the bass is taking from the vocals" and leaves to go play golf or f**k my model wife in my mansion. ITs like damn it people, Producers make the rave scene happen, DJ's are up there putting on records then talking and drinking there martini's while I'm in the trenches dedicating every ounce of my being towards making a record that some dick can play and get credit for.But I think fault lies not in the DJ's but the people who don't know or care enough to find out... Thats why I'm gonna change things, you'll see.......

Message 41/66             11-May-02  @  12:27 AM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

dru

uh, well. In general, I would imagine that if you
want to do an exceptional job at anything- then
you must put forth what would be exceptional
to you.
So, while speaking in general, I'm trying to
suggest ideas that I would imagine to have in
common with others in possibly different but
specific individual ways.

I think I should've been more general to
comment about 'music production' rather than
'electronic music production'.

And if your not pushing your own limits- then
what limits are worth pushing. If you make
good music without genuine effort- then I
would like to see what you would've produced
with it.

I read my post and realize how I demonstrated
my past misconceptions about music
production as they were, simply by the way I
worded my statement on what I used to think
electronic music-making was about. I had no
idea the amount of technical implementation
that was required, or simply available, for
manipulating sounds.

So, actually I mean specifically that-
"samples, a few effects, and a good
arrangement"- no more. Each of these words
meant things differently to me then- than they
do to anybody on this board I imagine.

MIDI wuz a BIG mystery. cc's?? what tha
f.uck? And any knob on my screen meant
some mysterious shit that I WAS simply
foreign to. The confusion of how to begin was
enough that it took me a few years of casual
exposure to music production and computers
before I was competent enough to manage it
all with a sense of understanding. specific
enough?

just thought i'd post in ways that would
encourage people to relate in one way or
another. Seems to be all the 'music tech
forum' is about anyway...

Message 42/66             11-May-02  @  12:34 AM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

dru

my response above was regarding influx's
and pedant's posts. kinda sounds like a reply
to hydrofonix.

Message 43/66             11-May-02  @  01:03 AM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

Drop

That was well put dru.

Message 44/66             11-May-02  @  02:58 AM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

xoxos

let's just keep being here to show each other the way, eh? fuck off, greed.

Message 45/66             12-May-02  @  12:01 AM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

`:)

I can definately say it happens in the UK as well, I've done loads of gigs where people have come up seen all the synths and said stuff like "ooh I've never seen a mixer like that" while pointing at a 303. Or worse still people I havent seen for a while saying "still got yer dex?". I reckon the idiot factor is a worldwide phenomenom and at a guess I reckon about 80% of people into dance music think it is made by DJs using nothing more than 2 1200s and a mixer. It constantly amazes me how stupid and ignorant people are. Most DJs themselves are quite happy for this myth to remain as it adds to their superstar status and 99% of DJs are total crap, mainly because of unimaginative mixing, strictly staying in the confines of one genre (normally the current popular choice) until the next genre becomes hip. But of course there are some fantastic DJs as well who bring new (or sometimes old) tunes to people and stay openminded, mixing many different styles thru one set in a seamless transition that keeps its flow, thats where the real talent lies in DJing. I remember years ago (about '83/84 I think)watching this guy, he had two copies of some old electro track and some weird obscure 70s afro funk tune on the decks, he was doing flanging, phasing and echo fx on the electro track and cutting in this funk tune doing scratching and transforming, he made it last for about 12 minutes and he was the master of his gear, people went ing ballsitic. What ever happened to that style of DJing, is anyone still doing that?

Message 46/66             12-May-02  @  10:12 AM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

oz.

this has become a great thread. its reassuring that so many people are keepin it real. loving what you do and wanting to do it the best you can. it gets so expensive and stuff, but you keep on going. cool.

so screw the people who dont know the difference. i wish i could forget about them. but they are always up in my face. the idiot phenomenon, thats hilarious.

and i think that djing will fall by the wasteside. it may not be tomorrow or next year, but i believe it will happen. it has to. its about the progression of our kind of music. not that i think that dj's will disappear, nor do i want them to. there is just so much more to do than play records. getting into electronic music has taught me that.

Message 47/66             12-May-02  @  11:14 AM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

influx

you know..I do know some DJs now that are bringing along other toys to expand the situation and not just play records

Davey Dave (Uberzones current scratch DJ) designed a pretty dope mixer for...tascam was it? Cant remember, but..its got a lot of VERY cool features that make it quite flexible and enhance the DJ experience greatly. Another girl called Madame Mercury uses one supposedly too (I havent seen just how effectively yet as I have yet to see her in person, but hopefully she exploits the potential of such a tool expertly.)

so...the DJs that choose to progress (and RECOGNIZE who it is that is fueling their sets) deserve full well to be acknowledged. For the rest of you chumps who think you're special cuz you learned how to beatmatch?

go away.

Message 48/66             13-May-02  @  03:13 AM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

Fusion

i think its a pioneer mixer my mates got one, its got mad modulations fx and time streching = usual stuff like verb, phaser ect. He uses it to 'fine tune' (as he likes to call it) his final mixes (of his tracks), i thing its a bit mad meselfs.

He said it cost like 800 quid!

FuSiOn:@)

Message 49/66             13-May-02  @  03:21 AM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

influx

yeah...Davey Dave designed that thing..X9 I believe?

seems like a lot of money for a DJ mixer!

Message 50/66             13-May-02  @  03:38 AM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

pict

Classical bassoon players look down their noses at Saxophone players who look down their noses at guitar players who look down their noses at bass players who look down their noses at synth players who look down their nose at djs who look down their nose at etc,etc,etc.
Do you get a buzz out of doing what you do?If so fuck what anybody else thinks.

Message 51/66             13-May-02  @  08:39 PM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

Pongoid

I've been runninginto this for years and if folks go deep enough into the archives here, they'll find plenty on this topic. I met an amazing producer/DJ who kind of put a little faith back into the idea that the two can exist well in one person. Claude Young. Found out he was the guy on the board for Inner City's 'Good Life'. Monster on the decks and cool person, but he's more of an exception than a rule. Another thing is that I rarely call myself a 'producer'. I am a musician. Period. I sometimes play my bass at gigs, onstage as well as other stuff. As for 'traditional' musicians looking own their noses at me, it just doesn't happen. It may have at one time, but then I asked to come to their studios, and jammed with them, then brought them to one of my gigs, and the respect was no longer a question, nor the validity of the work. These problems come from simple lack of education, and most folks these days don't get enough shit for showing ignorance ine these areas. If somebody asks a stupid question, I wouldn't say burn them completely, but definately a little barb is in order, like of somebody asks a stupid question like 'wow dude, that was cool...uh...where are the decks?' it behooves at least a scowl, or if somebody comes up and says anything like a request or whatever, they definately need some anger thrown at them for the simple lack of respect, and breach of etiquette. Folks need some education, it's as simple as that. We are not doing enough to educate them. Also, I think that it may be time for a change in how things are being approached in this medium. I think folks are being left too much to their own on the dancefloor, getting numbed instead of stimulated, as well as the way that this music is being presented, that being that you have one DJ, or one possibly two artists at a time, but rarely a large collaboration like a band, or a Jazz session. Maybe it's time to start engaging folks' attention a litte bit more rather than just letting them be pumped full of intoxicants to find their own ways through their trips at a party or club. For a long time, even if it has grown otherwise, it was intended that tekno in whatever form remained a kind of 'faceless' music, and the DJ or artist was not to be regarded as too much of a spectacle, but to the contrary, the people on the dancefloor were the spectacle, and at a good party, they still are. Maybe it's time to start presenting these things more like a spectacle, instead of half-assing about it like we have been for the past twelve years. More live collaboration, more of the Jazz aesthetic, where the folks onstage have less personal ego involved but rather bring items to the table to be discussed in a sonic dialogue. DJ's will still have their place as messengers, but maybe it's time to give them the fucking smack-down they need. This DJ as hero shit has gone on long enough. Thoughts?

Ape

Message 52/66             14-May-02  @  07:03 PM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

Kevin Saunderson

But didn't I write good life with him? Thats my song!As is Big fun my good friend

Message 53/66             14-May-02  @  08:17 PM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

Pongoid

Nobody denies that, just that it was Claude on the board. That's what he told me any how. I saw the board too, at Mike's place. Nice piece of gear. It was for sale last time I was there, but it may be sold by now.

Ape

Message 54/66             14-May-02  @  08:18 PM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

Pongoid

And after all that, the only thing anybody's got to say is somebody talkin shit like their somebody else, and that's it? Come on, people. Read. Speak up.

Ape

Message 55/66             14-May-02  @  08:22 PM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

xoxos

no offense my long-standing friend, but i don't read anything w/o returns :p

Message 56/66             03-Apr-04  @  10:04 AM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

casparproject

Just to correct the story, that guy came up to me 'while' playing a live set, and said
"Hey man, you got any different records?"

Ouch

Message 57/66             03-Apr-04  @  03:56 PM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

damballah

well, howdy dj casparproject!

Message 58/66             03-Apr-04  @  04:11 PM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

Broken Silence

hahahahahaha

back in the day when i started i even called myself a "trance dj"

and i started with a PSR yamaha keyboard, no shit!

How about them apples

Message 59/66             03-Apr-04  @  09:35 PM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

micromusic

what i hate is when my friends ask me when i'm spinning again, or djing again, even though they KNOW i do a live pa and haven't spun records for a year. I DONT SPIN!! ITS CALLED A LIVE PA! GET IT RIGHT, PLEASE!

Message 60/66             04-Apr-04  @  08:05 AM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

mcc>

hi...i'm clay and i am not a dj either.....
though i would like to be one day when i grow up.

Message 61/66             05-Apr-04  @  10:28 AM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

dub-munkey

it only seems to women but whenever they look at my set up they say 'oh are you a dj?'

even though there is not a deck in sight let alone any vinyl....wimmen?!?!?!?!?

greg

Message 62/66             05-Apr-04  @  03:03 PM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

mcc>

i have a behringer dj mixer which can't keep beat and a turntable just so women
WILL ask me.....
wherein i say...hi i'm clay...i'm not a dj but....

Message 63/66             05-Apr-04  @  03:25 PM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

dub-munkey

well the conversation normally goes on to:

fit bird: 'oh what DO you do then?'

gregoir: 'i write house music'

fit bird(brain switches off): 'oh, isn't that all computers'

greg(pointing at an empty space ): 'yes, its all computers.......'

and the thing is when they hear your stuff they expect it to be good.....

greg

Message 64/66             05-Apr-04  @  04:14 PM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

be

HAHAHAHA

SO, DJ:s are all "real" musicians in the eys of women, but the ppl that produces that music are computer geeks ...hehe
If I had a penny everytime i get that,

"dumb girl" O, u make house? Tharīs all computers and stuff, not real music
"me" uhm, well what do u listen to then?
"dumb girl" Oh well, I think that 50 cents are a great musican, and blabalab

Hmm, 50 cents isnīt even a DJ and he ONLY uses these fekkinī computers like the rest of us (I belive)

bah...

Message 65/66             06-Apr-04  @  08:24 AM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

dub-munkey

correction 50 cents producer uses computers, i bet 50 cent doesn't get his hands dirty with pro tools....

greg

Message 66/66             08-Apr-04  @  11:26 PM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

Pongoid

The level of ignorance is quite astounding.

What's even better?

"No records? No computers? What are all those boxes with the blinking lights?"

Ape

Viewing all 66 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 7

There are 66 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)