aaa Fostex DMT8...HELP - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

09-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Fostex DMT8...HELP

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/7             15-Oct-98  @  10:44 AM   -   Fostex DMT8...HELP

Fingers

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Anyone used this harddisk recorder?

Can I load recorded tracks onto the PC (sysex or something)?

Its an old one...12mins of 8 track.

Can the hard disk be upgraded?

Anyone know a site that gives info on this machine?

Is there a man in the moon? (or has she left)

cheers

~:¬)

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/7             15-Oct-98  @  04:45 PM   -   RE: Fostex DMT8...HELP

xoxos

Link?:  Link

are you trying to be mean to me???

i have thwe dmt-8vl. 11 months old. the hard drive just bit it, so i put a new one in last night. the ones on the list in the manual are all outdated; the good news is that they're so cheap that you can get hours of time.

now i called fostex @ 562 921 1112 and got two different guys. the first guy (i think his name was richard, but i don't remember. he had a nice accent, sounded good.) ran through the specs of what you need. as said in the manual, it's gotta be a 3.5" e-ide w/ 4500 rpm or higher and a 9.5 millisecond access time. the shit thing is that nobody knows the access times on their drives.

when i called back, i got a texan named duke... this guy wouldn't give me specs on any other brands, and said that quantum fireball is the only factory authorized replacement drive, and that the TM, the SE, the ST or the EL by this brand will all work fine.

now most stores in town said they could order these drives for $200 u.s. plus, but i found a lovely store - hadi computers in tucson   that had an EL for $139. !!!!!!! this gave me just over an hour. cool, indeed.

now i asked if you could dump the tracks for editing to pc, but it's a no-go. i think there's a roland h.d. recorder that does that, but it's the only one. because we both know the dmt-8 does lousy cuts. or at least both of mine have. well, at least through the scsi because it's a different format. however. i don't have a dat but i'll bet you could record all data to the dat then dump it...

i know there's a fostex site. shouldn't be hard to find. you're u.k., right? try whatever suffix you use for u.s. sites.

no, she's just busy right now. and man was meant to go to the moon.

xoxos.

Message 3/7             16-Oct-98  @  09:28 AM   -   RE: Fostex DMT8...HELP

Fingers

xoxos I love you...

erm I mean thanks... great amount of info... this is an old dmt with 540MB I think... I wonder if it will need its bios chip or whatever changed for upgrade?

hot diggery dog I may just buy this old fart of a recorder off the guy after the session and upgrade it... there again maybe not...

anyway for this sesh I'll probly just resample the tracks two at a time onto me pc n'that know like?

yes I am uk hey maybe even yuk...

Fingers

Message 4/7             17-Oct-98  @  01:26 AM   -   RE: Fostex DMT8...HELP

xoxos

well i luv mine, but i gotta point out that it cost me $1100 new (u.s.) a year ago, and the new machines are cheaper, have more features, et c. the only thing i don't like about using it is, as i hinted, the erase function doesn't cut exactly at the point specified... it kinda ramps the signal down into the erasure. of course, this is not perceptible upon playback, but for digital recording? tsk, tsk fostex. point to consider, not much else to complain about though (:

Message 5/7             26-Oct-98  @  02:34 PM   -   RE: Fostex DMT8...HELP

fingers

xoxos dear chappie person

I recorded fine and I've done some rough mixes just from the dmt8...pretty good (damn good).

As I said I'm going to mix on PC so that'll be sorted eventually.

But the dmt...how do you set up? Do you use the four groups? Do you have to use the four groups? How do you use the 'sub' during mix...or any other time. How do you use the inserts?

Do you have a manual?(I don't)

Is there a manual online...? arg...

Message 6/7             27-Oct-98  @  12:51 AM   -   RE: Fostex DMT8...HELP

xoxos

hmmm.. thing is, i've got the dmt-8vl. but i do have the manual! four groups? subgroup? never run across these.

this thing's pretty much just a standard 8-track format; 8 track mixer and so on. the only difference between this and a tape machine (apart from the editing and other obvious differences...) is that it only records stereo format, so if you record 8 tracks at once, 1,3,5,7 have the left, the evens have the right...

have you tried searching for a fostex site? sorry not to zip out and look for it, but try www.goto.com they have a fair search engine. well my email is xoxos@azstarnet.com if you get in a fix or can't locate a site from the u.k.

xoxos.

Message 7/7             27-Oct-98  @  09:15 AM   -   RE: Fostex DMT8...HELP

fingers

cheers xoxoxs

sounds like it changed quite a bit from the early version.

there is a 'sub' gain and pan at the top of each which you can use if you have the top switch at 'input' rather than 'track'. also there is a middle position between 'inpu't and 'track' and I dont know what it does. Also I bounced my 1234 tracks to 5678 to let me use the mic inputs for another four tracks (doh).

It worked fine in the end but I could have saved myself a lot of hassle...

this machine has four 'insert' jack sockets at the top as well...dont know what they are for. Maybe inputs from midi controled gear during mix?

I'll try the links thanks

Fingers

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 7 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)