aaa recording a mix, the whole mix, and... - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

06-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: recording a mix, the whole mix, and...

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/7             22-Sep-98  @  01:20 AM   -   recording a mix, the whole mix, and...

buggo

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

just wondering how you all record yer tracks. seems the ideal thing would be an ADAT or some kind of multitrack so you can remix stuff later, and edit individual tracks, but those are expensive so i'm sure not everyone has one...do you people just record straight into a DAT machine, or onto a computer? (i use my computer...not a bad system but it's only 2 tracks.)

which reminds me, has anyone had any luck with setting up 2 awe64's in the same computer? i have one, and recently got another one free that i salvaged...that would give me a basic 4 track recorder, if i use each stereo input as 2 mono tracks...i tried it before and had NO luck, so if anyone has ever done this lemme know.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/7             22-Sep-98  @  02:51 AM   -   RE: recording a mix, the whole mix, and...

xoxos

Link?:  Link

starting this years ago and upgrading from a tascam cassette 4-track (no pc) i currently use a fostex dmt8vl hard disk and master (if i ever get the crap i need) to a (no!) minidisk, which was a huge mistake now that i know about the high-end compression. i prefer hardware multitracking for flex w/ live sounds, but then again, i've never used a pc platform and am suspicious of all-in-one new-fangled stuff.. as such, no clue how the two compare.
but i saw that fostex has a hd 4-track new for $449, which i think sets a new paradigm for human evolution, esp. for those of us who start out w/o pcs (shows how much i know, i'm sure.)

xoxos.

Message 3/7             22-Sep-98  @  09:46 AM   -   RE: recording a mix, the whole mix, and...

Richie

Straight to DAT.. I'd love to be able to record on separate tracks though. Sometimes a mix sounds great at the time and then weeks later I get better ideas. By then I'm on another track..

My mum used to have an Awe64 gold and a SB16 working in the same computer BUT it caused her shit loads of problems, she got them working eventually but the whole system became really tetchy (refusing to work, then working, then refusing again). In the end she removed the sb16 now everythings fine..

If the pc is plug and play, then I reckon you'll have problems. BUT only one way to find out for sure.

Message 4/7             23-Sep-98  @  09:54 PM   -   RE: recording a mix, the whole mix, and...

Purple Haze

I use a philips dcc. I bought it about 2 years ago, even before I got into trying to make some tunes myself, for about 1/3rd of the new price back then. I'm quite happy with it, it's got s/pdif and also some optical digital in/out (which I never used).
When I put it in 'record pause', everything that goes into the s/pdif comes out of the analog outs, which was quite an improvement to the awe64 gold dac's when the awe was the only thing I had.

I've been thinking about getting a gina or something so I can multitrack using my pc, but I'm in no hurry for it at the moment and I don't feel like spending much time trying to get everything to work together, so...

Message 5/7             30-Sep-98  @  06:37 AM   -   RE: recording a mix, the whole mix, and...

celt

So if ya have a gina card you can come out the digitla I/O into the DAT and record song with 9 different tracks, or do you have to mix the tracks down to 2? I got Cubase?

does it work the same way with CD R's?

Are CD R's easy to learn?

Message 6/7             30-Sep-98  @  06:37 AM   -   RE: recording a mix, the whole mix, and...

celt

So if ya have a gina card you can come out the digitla I/O into the DAT and record song with 9 different tracks, or do you have to mix the tracks down to 2? I got Cubase?

does it work the same way with CD R's?

Are CD R's easy to learn?

Message 7/7             03-Oct-98  @  11:55 AM   -   RE: recording a mix, the whole mix, and...

Purple Haze

I don't have a gina, don't have a dat, but I'm pretty sure you'll have to mix it down to 2 tracks before recording it on the dat. I guess it works the same way with those 'standalone' cdr's, and that they're just as easy or as hard to 'learn' as a dat or some other digital recording device.

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 7 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)