aaa S-550 sequencing. please kill me. - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

06-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: S-550 sequencing. please kill me.

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/7             01-Oct-98  @  04:01 AM   -   S-550 sequencing. please kill me.

fmfw

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Ive often heard people say shite to the extent that an s-550 can be used as a sequencer, as well as a sampler, with the right software...? Some people have directed me that i needed to get a higher operating system, which i did, but of course the latest op system wont run w/o scuz... so whats up with it? how do i go about getting my s-550 to act as a sequencer, or is it just not worth it, and i should get some cheap outboard. and damnit buggo, buy one of these your whole issue with the function disk is crazy. its not a problem at all. all you have to do is sometimes, it'll ask you to put the utilities disk in the drive to sample or whatever, but it's not like you have to take the time to fully load the disk. 's not a problem at all.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/7             01-Oct-98  @  06:42 AM   -   RE: S-550 sequencing. please kill me.

buggo

hmm...explain to me how that works. 'cuz it's a great value for the money, so i'd like to know how much of a pain in the ass it is to sample and quickly set up a drum kit...could you tell me some shit about it?

also, i think you need more than a new OS, i think you need a whole _different_ OS, specifically designed for sequencing. do a search, see what you come up with. have you checked out roland's site? methinks they have some shit there.

Message 3/7             01-Oct-98  @  10:11 AM   -   RE: S-550 sequencing. please kill me.

Hilevelt

Link?:  Link

You need a package called 'Dr. S,' which supposedly makes any of the s- series the same as a w-30 (well, almost). You need a hardware key & a disk, and I've got the key but not the disk. If you want to buy the whole package from Roland I'd pay you to make me a copy of the disk.

Don't know what the better os does, but I don't think it'll give you sequencing.

Message 4/7             01-Oct-98  @  03:06 PM   -   RE: S-550 sequencing. please kill me.

fmfw

thanks.
errr buggo-
it works exactly like every other sampler as far as quickness in sampling and everything. its pretty intimidating at first (as are all samplers i guess) but once you get it its easy. the whole monitor thing they do with it is great. kilo says some stuff about getting one with a monitor connection which is off, as they ALL have monitor usability. you just need an old mono or something. i got one from a friend for free. the only thing with the utility disk is when you go to the utilities menu and say, 'sampling' it'll say the disk needs to be in the drive. otherwise you wouldnt even notice that it needed it.

Message 5/7             01-Oct-98  @  06:33 PM   -   RE: S-550 sequencing. please kill me.

hilliard

The "key" that Hilevelt refers to fits into the mouse port on the front faceplate.....basically it looks just like the connection end of the mouse cable. If you don't have this key, you're totally hosed, as far as the sequencing s/w goes.

The "load time" for the utilities (sampling, truncating, etc) isn't long at all......not like loading a disk-full of samples (that's ridiculously long). If you are sampling a bunch of stuff at once (like individual drumkit sounds), you don't have to keep loading the sampling utility.....just keep sampling.....then truncate/edit them afterwards. I guess it's a tradeoff to do this "load a utility" thang.....getting more memory than the S-50 (keyboard version) which has the utilities onboard (no loading needed).

Message 6/7             02-Oct-98  @  02:12 AM   -   RE: S-550 sequencing. please kill me.

buggo

but for patch creation, and assigning different drums to different MIDI note numbers...is that a quick process once you're familiar with it? or is it a pain in the ass?

Message 7/7             02-Oct-98  @  03:50 AM   -   RE: S-550 sequencing. please kill me.

fmfw

once youve figured it out its easy. The whole roland support with monitors and mouses makes it easier than i could imagine it being on any with out.

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 7 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)