aaa PC Soundcard or Outboard Multi-Track - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

06-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: PC Soundcard or Outboard Multi-Track

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/7             04-Oct-98  @  04:51 PM   -   PC Soundcard or Outboard Multi-Track

rouge

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I was going to get the Yamaha DSP Factory (o2R) and a brand new PC to dedicate to hard-disk recording but I'm getting sick and tired of my PC at the moment (with the Terratec EWS Soundcard) so I may consider going for the Roland VS840 or 880 but it wouldn't be as powerful as the DSP!
Any solutions - I think the Roland would be more practical therefore making it more inspirational.
So, if I suddenly came up with a great idea I could just flick one switch to record it rather than booting up a PC, checking all connections, checking the control panel, fucking around in VST for half an hour to make sure all is right and then getting so fed up I just forget the original idea!
Shit - I've just answered my question!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/7             04-Oct-98  @  04:53 PM   -   Roland VS840

rouge

But has anyone used these digital porta-studios? Are they easy to use? Worth the cash?

Message 3/7             04-Oct-98  @  07:05 PM   -   RE: PC Soundcard or Outboard Multi-Track

shado

Link?:  Link

I've also got a terratec but am using it primarilly as my sound source using ed!son etc. I use Mastertracks and I can't get my head around vst although the pluggin feature looks great. but I got a VS 1680 for the HD recording as it's easy to use and I already had a VS-880. 8 tracks isn't enough for me cause I'm not really into straight techno has I need tracks for guitars and vocals but if 8 is enough then the 880 is great. Big thing for me is the big screen on the 1680 however. Also the 880 can now save data on CD-rom as well as master. Alot depends on the type of music. dale

Message 4/7             04-Oct-98  @  09:04 PM   -   RE: PC Soundcard or Outboard Multi-Track

rouge

I do all kinds of stuff from Industrial to Trip-Hop (which is my thing at the moment) so hard-disk recording is quite important. I was considering the little VS840 (with ZIP disk) because its about £988 UK. Is it dead simple to operate? I take it you reccomend these Roland units then?

Message 5/7             05-Oct-98  @  05:37 AM   -   RE: PC Soundcard or Outboard Multi-Track

shado

Yeah, I'd recommend it as it doesn't crash and it's self contained . Personally I don't like having everything on the computer. I'm sick of jumping in and out of windows. If you are on a budget I'd recommend a second hand VS-880 over an 840 as I think you'll get the shits with the Zip drive. Those little expensive disks only hold 100 meg and are prone to failure. Nice to have a fader on each track too. With an 880 you can upgrade the CDr to do data backup. Pretty important with memory hungry audio. Also writable CDs are fuckall these days. There should be lots of s/h 880's cause ppl are upgrading to the 1680 as well as the new 880EX (which is overpriced for the little features added IMHO). Make sure u get at least 2 gig drive. Oh yeah there is a sequence prog. called Musimaster that allows real time editing using sysex over midi if you hate that small screen. Downside is you have to learn another sequence prog. I hope I've been of some help. Dale

Message 6/7             05-Oct-98  @  06:41 AM   -   RE: PC Soundcard or Outboard Multi-Track

buggo

not that i have the cash to buy one, but what do the 880's sell for in the states? (used)

Message 7/7             05-Oct-98  @  10:09 AM   -   RE: PC Soundcard or Outboard Multi-Track

shado

In Australia you can pick up a second hand 880 with 2 gig drive for $2,500.aus Dale

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 7 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)