aaa HDR,Roland VS880 or PC card? - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

06-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: HDR,Roland VS880 or PC card?

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/7             16-Mar-98  @  08:44 PM   -   HDR,Roland VS880 or PC card?

Shark02

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I want to get into hard disk recording. Should I buy a dedicated unit like a Roland VS880 or should I buy something like Event Gina? Money isn't a problem,but ease of adding it into my setup is!! Any opinions from those that know....

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/7             29-Aug-98  @  04:01 PM   -   RE: HDR,Roland VS880 or PC card?

Pete.Juzl

Shark02 - IF YOUR STILL OUT THERE - I am having exactly the same thoughts. At the moment, having had a lot of PC probs in the past but having work OK - ish with a cheap sound card, and also having read all the reviews and demo'd a couple of units.....
I'm probably going to by a dedicated box but develop the computer along side it later. Yup - hedging my bets big time. . . .Let me know what you went for in the end.

Message 3/7             29-Aug-98  @  05:53 PM   -   RE: HDR,Roland VS880 or PC card?

carles

If you have a good computer and money Paris is a very good choice .
I work with it everyday and I am very happy with it .
If you use midi and PC you may have problems (I haved several) to sync Paris with your sequencer . This problems
seem to be corrected in the next version of software ( I hope ) .
But Paris handles the audio rec. extremely well and its very useful to mix too (it comes with a 16 fader control surface).
I suppose there´s not too much Paris fans on this site cause the midi sync prob in Pc´s but I hope that this problem will be resolved soon cause I really like Paris and I need to work with midi too ...

Message 4/7             29-Aug-98  @  07:14 PM   -   RE: HDR,Roland VS880 or PC card?

automouse

vs-880's are nice, I own one, but they're basicly the worlds best porta-studio. If you're making any electronic type of music...which it's probably safe to say that you are...I'd go with a computer. If you get a program which is designed to work with both midi and audio, then you're set as far as functionality. And when all is said and done, you'd spend less on a computer system then on a vs-880 with comperable disk space. They come with either 540megs, or 1gig internal, which can be upgraded with an external scsi for a total of something like 4.1gigs, can't remember the exact number. But that is encluding the disk you already have internally, and dont forget that fast external scsi drives aren't cheep.

automouse

p.s. one thing that many people forget about hdr's is their lack of any real memory. So when you're dealing with long looping of audio, or many repeated segments, it can't always keep up. The drives just aren't fast enough to keep up with the demand. Computers dont have this problem in most cases because they already have a number of free megs of light-speed accessed space to play around with.

Message 5/7             29-Aug-98  @  09:18 PM   -   RE: HDR,Roland VS880 or PC card?

andreas.lindell

I'm a owner of a VS880, think it's very good but not good enough! Only 8 channels so I always end up in the computer. If you have a descent computer like pentium 2 300 MHz and about 128 MB RAM, get a copy of Samplitude 2496 and a bunch of plugins, then you can make some serious stuff!

Andreas

Message 6/7             29-Aug-98  @  10:14 PM   -   RE: HDR,Roland VS880 or PC card?

buggo

i would kill to have a vs880...what are they asking for those?

Message 7/7             03-Sep-98  @  08:37 PM   -   RE: HDR,Roland VS880 or PC card?

automouse

well, theyve released the 16 track version, and now have redesigned the vs-880 with a few hardware and software mods, making all current 880s out of date. There's no upgrading the old ones either...we're SOL as they say.

So taking all that into account, you can find v2 VS-880's with 540meg HDs and the efx cards in them for around 1400 US. And thats just bound to drop from therre

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 7 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)