aaa S2000, sound quality ... library..specs - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

06-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: S2000, sound quality ... library..specs

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/7             03-Sep-98  @  10:47 PM   -   S2000, sound quality ... library..specs

RAndy

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I don't know too much about the akai s2000 except someone told me it was good and
it costs $699. I think thats a great price for a good sampler. I need to know if it sounds
really professional. HOw much ram can it hold. and How fast is it to setup samples.
Also does it have a big sound library and how does it import other sound patches from other
samplers. I would be using it for drum and bass type stuff, triphop to hip hop type stuff.

thanks. I would also like to play strings and piano patches if it can handle that.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/7             04-Sep-98  @  03:17 AM   -   RE: S2000, sound quality ... library..specs

xoxos

Link?:  Link

had mine for a month now... my last sampler was a mirage dsk8, so not really anything to compare it with. everyone i know who uses uses akai, and one guy (actually in the midst of sex change op, so excuse) has been through 3 decent samplers (lives in hollywood, programs for disney .: financed) and has an akai at present. for that price (lucky, i paid 8) you get 2 meg - 22 secs mono, 11 stereo @ 44.1k - expandable to 32.

i'm using the floppy drive, so it takes regular floppy time, but the internal stuff is fast. the menu setup is easy and fast to configure, in my experience. the only things i've had to wait for are sample overwrite procedures ie. normalize level, 1-2 seconds. blink.

in my limited knowledge, 699 is a kickass price for something that sounds this good (clear as a bell to me.) don't know about importing files or library because i don't have the scsi, but my guess is akai have a pretty substantial sound library.

as far as professional gear goes, sure. the sound quality is competitive, and it's used in that capacity, but product isn't about the newest or the most expensive. if you want a sampler for doing electronic music (you all will have to forgive me. i've heard portishead and i guess they're trip hop, but i don't have a clue what drums n bass is. i live in the desert. do you think psychic tv's 'tune in, turn on' or meat beat's 'storm the studio' is sophisticated enough?) for less than $1000, probably for more, then it's a good bet.

i thought the pianos on my mirage were pretty realistic.. not the strings though. anything else?

xoxos.

Message 3/7             04-Sep-98  @  03:44 AM   -   RE: S2000, sound quality ... library..specs

Randy

thanks,
well drum and bass is drum and bass.. music with a lot of drums and bass, related to
hiphop and jungle i guess.
You might here that stuff comming out of miami. The s2000 has a substantial library , thats good.
How do you use your for making your music. Do you use any instrument patches?

Message 4/7             04-Sep-98  @  12:40 PM   -   RE: S2000, sound quality ... library..specs

kilo

there is a huge library for akai, plus lots of 3rd party cdroms...... it's a winner for that........ great sampler.... really for the price which now INCLUDES the 8 output baord... and the scsi board, it's unbeatable...make sure your dealer includes these items free....

Message 5/7             04-Sep-98  @  01:41 PM   -   RE: S2000, sound quality ... library..specs

Richie

Kilo, where have you seen the s2000 + the outputs board for that price?

My next purchase is a sampler, I'm tempted with the emax cos when I used to have an s2000 before I never used more than 2 1/2 meg worth of samples at one time. That included all the drums ans stuff. The Emax is supposed to be pretty raw right? Has it got analogue filters? I used to find the s2000 filters to be pretty easy to clip. I know you really rate the emax but how does it compare to the s2000 at this price?

Message 6/7             04-Sep-98  @  11:49 PM   -   RE: S2000, sound quality ... library..specs

xoxos

Link?:  Link

i use a hard disk multitrack, so i tend to record the more complex pieces on different tracks. i don't use any instrument patches and i haven't tried the fade/crossover stuff.. i'd be willing to test something if you have a specific question.

most of the stuff i've done in recent years is basically drum tracks and monosynth leads, which i guess could be interpreted as drums and bass. i haven't foreseen any problems with the akai for that application. i've fostered a degree of isolation (mainly by spending lots of money on keyboards) but i happened to see a late night mtv thing at someone's house where all the songs were basically drum tracks @140bpm+ where all the action was in the snare sequence. i think orbital had one. this is jungle?

xoxos.

Message 7/7             05-Sep-98  @  03:44 AM   -   RE: S2000, sound quality ... library..specs

randy

could have been jungle. Alot of drums, snares, perhaps some weird noises

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 7 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)