aaa How did they o that? - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

05-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: How did they o that?

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/7             24-Feb-04  @  04:37 PM   -   How did they o that?

Kjartan Nilsen

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

Hi.
I joine this forum today.
I used to play music and have composed many songs for my own pleassure over tha past years.

I have taken a 4 year break because of work and not having time enought to make music.

The last time i made music i had Cackewalk 3 something. It was all about midi then. Theese days i see that the scene is all difrent.

I looked at some softsynths today and came over a good one "Novation V-Station". I downloaded a mp3 demo and were thrilled over one of the instruments.
download http://sump.no/how.mp3 to listen to it.
Now i'm sitting here and wonder. Could i do this on my Roland JP-8080
If so. How should i approach?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/7             24-Feb-04  @  05:34 PM   -   RE: How did they o that?

k

Link?:  Link

well, if you get a low latency soundcard you can programme midi to trigger the JP, then bring it IN to the s/w mix in realtime to mix in with any on-board software synths and any audio tracks etc - you hear the WHOLE mix at the PC output

you can also add s/w fx in REALTIME on the mixer to your JP sounds and of course, you can quickly record any JP parts anytime by selecting an audio track and hitting record, then reset the JP to play another sound

etc etc

the key is a good fast soundcard with good ASIO/WDM drivers, such as from Hoontech, m-audio etc - cards like that start as low as just over the 100 UKP mark!

or you can add a MULTI-IN soundcard/rack with 8 IN's and bring up to 8 channels of external audio IN to your on-board mix all in one go!

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/7             24-Feb-04  @  05:38 PM   -   RE: How did they o that?

k

btw - REAKTOR is an expensive but VERY powerful s/w synth which allows users to also build synths with it's components.

DASHSIGNATURE sells a supersaw JP synth for it - the dash synth is only 10$ but sadly, REAKTOR itself costs alot more - however, it is VERY powerful. Dash do many other classic synth impersonations for Reaktor which you just load and play, also the NI site (makers of reaktor) has a huge archive of user-created synths & drum modules, sample players etc.

also, have you checked that Chris Gill synth (see PLUGINS section here) - free and fantastic - there is many more great freewares of course but to get s/w versions of your hardware units can be possible, but not for all cases, so the option to continue to use your hardware synths by method descibed above is a good option, and allows you to continue to use your beloved hardware, BUT have it fully integrated with your s/w compositions.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 4/7             01-Mar-04  @  10:19 PM   -   RE: How did they o that?

dr_haskell

Link?:  No link

I think lots of reverb is the answer, a lot of these new fangled synths have built in effects.

High resonance but low envelope in the bass registers.

Message 5/7             02-Mar-04  @  01:01 AM   -   RE: How did they o that?

influx

Kilo

Dashsynthesis isnt doing reactor ensembles anymore. From what I understand they are focusing on their own releases

the reaktor stuff is available from the developer though. I just got a CD from him with all his ensembles...I think it was $20 or $40?

well worth it

Message 6/7             02-Mar-04  @  12:19 PM   -   RE: How did they o that?

sitar

If you have a good computer and can manage the initial cost of Reaktor, K is spot on. I have the Supersaw JP as well and tons of others from dashsynthesis. Great stuff. Then you have the free user made Reaktor synths, sequencers, drum sequencers, fx, all available to registered Reaktor owners.

Cakewalk has switched over to Sonar as it's premier sequencer and it's totally awesome.

Message 7/7             02-Mar-04  @  01:18 PM   -   RE: How did they o that?

RagnarOk

Hello Kjartan, wellcome. As an alternative solution you could also check out synthedit, which is a freebie version of reaktor. Nevertheless you'll need a VST host to run the plugins (synthedit VST or reaktor). Traction is one cheap and powerful alternative there.

www.synthedit.com
www.rawmaterialsoftware.com

(I beginning to look like a traction salesman, so it's time to put on my disguise )

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 7 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)