aaa Need Help w/ MIDI Sync/Timing Probs - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

08-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Need Help w/ MIDI Sync/Timing Probs

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/7             25-Sep-03  @  03:10 AM   -   Need Help w/ MIDI Sync/Timing Probs

robo_inc

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Hi guys,

I'm wondering if anyone else here would have some insight into my dilemma. I've been working on this for about a month and I'm really stuck!

I WAS using hardware but decided to sell it all because I didn't have the setup I was happy with (2 synths no mixer etc) and couldn't afford more gear. So I bought a 2.6Ghz CPU, MIDI controller Keyboard and an LCD display and had a touch screen installed into it. This way I'll still be able to have the physical interaction with the music by way of my fingers moving on the touch screen but I've got a lot more flexibility with the setup of my sound sources. Originally the idea was to have a really wide virtual desktop. 5 desktops wide by 1 high. I was going to have 1 screen dedicated for sequencing (Muzys) another for my mixer & fx, and the other 3 for VSTi's that I've been designing in Synthedit. The way these were all to be connected was that I designed my own VSTi mixer and connected all my synths and FX to it in Console Modular Studio (also tested energyXT). I then linked Muzys to energyXT/Console by Virtual MIDI driver (MIDI Yoke).
I thought that all would be well and began doing tests with my drum machine and found that the timing/syncing was unacceptable. I setup a loop of 16th hi-hats to check the timing and noticed that it was quite inconsistent. It never plays one bar through consistently there's always some lag with certain notes. There also seemed to be velocity issues where some notes would be playing a higher velocity.It's definately not my drum machine because that works fine within Muzys.
I thought it might be MIDI Yoke so I downloaded MIDI over Lan which does the same thing but the problem still exists.
I thought then that it was the sequencer so I tried Cubasis and had the same problem. Finally I downloaded Steinberg's V-Stack thinking surely this would work and initially the timing DID seem quite solid but then after a minute or two of playing the same loop it started spluttering again and ended up sounding like Console/energyXT except marginally better.
I thought maybe then it may be my ASIO drivers (Kx ASIO on SB128) and tried using my Direct Sound Drivers with no change in symptoms.
I'm beginning to think that what I'm wanting to achieve seems impossible (tight midi timing) using this type of setup.
Can anyone help?

Regards,

Grant

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/7             25-Sep-03  @  04:03 AM   -   RE: Need Help w/ MIDI Sync/Timing Probs

Scott

Hi Grant,

I need more information about your setup before I attempt any suggestions.

- Are you having problems when you use just one PC running Musys and/or Cubase? If so, I'd suggest disconnecting any external PCs or devices and focus on fixing that PC first before attempting to network.
- Which Windows O.S.?
- Which Soundcard is in each of your computers and do you have the most recent drivers?
- Which apps are installed and running alongside Musys and Cubase that could be causing a problem?
- When you say "my drum machine", do you mean the VSTi that you created, or is this a hardware drum machine connected to your Soundcard's MIDI out?

Message 3/7             25-Sep-03  @  04:10 AM   -   RE: Need Help w/ MIDI Sync/Timing Probs

Scott

One more question for now: are all of your software progs legitimate purchased versions or cracked? Please don't take any offense to this question, but at least consider the fact that if something you're using is cracked, it may be at fault for the problems you're having.

Message 4/7             25-Sep-03  @  07:06 AM   -   RE: Need Help w/ MIDI Sync/Timing Probs

psylichon

Link?: Link

I guess I don't understand your setup at all. You said you bought one machine, then go on to describe your ideal, multi-machine setup. What do you have right now, how is it connected? Is it one machine? I don't understand how you could use MIDIyolk across two machines, it's an internal, virtual MIDI driver. The more detailed you can be in describing EXACTLY what's involved and how it's all connected (not ideally, but actually), the more we can help you.

And I'm convinced at least one of us can help you...

psy

Message 5/7             25-Sep-03  @  10:12 AM   -   RE: Need Help w/ MIDI Sync/Timing Probs

milan

no no. he IS using only one machine, and trying to sync several audio programs which run in standalone mode. its just his virtual deskop thats very wide (no idea how he does that), but thats besides the point.

the question is why wont his virtual synths stay in sync.

but i have no diea how to answer that :/

Message 6/7             25-Sep-03  @  10:48 AM   -   RE: Need Help w/ MIDI Sync/Timing Probs

psylichon

lol... you sound so sure, milan.

Message 7/7             25-Sep-03  @  09:19 PM   -   RE: Need Help w/ MIDI Sync/Timing Probs

errata

it could be lot's of things, but some cracks DO make timing problems. So do a lot of other things...

what I don't understand is how you couldn't afford more gear (like a MIXER) but you could afford an LCD touch screen display and a fully spec'd PC with all of that software... even if you sold the 2 synths (I'm guessing you must've) you really got A HUGE deal on the pc, and monitor combo! Damn...

e

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 7 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)