aaa ok what the hell is the deal? - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

24-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: ok what the hell is the deal?

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/8             06-Dec-98  @  11:23 PM   -   ok what the hell is the deal?

buggo

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

ok, the case on my q80 is heavy duty molded plastic, except for the bottom panel which is metal and attaches with screws.

recently i started having problems; when i put on the metal cover and push it in the tiniest fraction of an inch (either by pushing the panel from the bottom or something as weak as pushing a button on top) it shuts off; when i back off the bottom panel this quits. so now i have the panel off and i'm using the q by setting it on a towel...not the greatest setup! and i have to get it fixed by next week cos i'm going to be playing live...

i cant figure out what this is. i tried lining the inside of the panel with duct tape to make it non conductive; no dice. I can't see what that extra bit of pressure on the bottom panel could hit to make it turn off...i spent at least 2 hours last night trying to figure it out...

i'm goin crazy. anyone have any clue as to what the hell this could be?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/8             07-Dec-98  @  02:11 AM   -   RE: ok what the hell is the deal?

SiuS

Buggo this is totally off topic but it seams the Q80 is a real cutie, individual looppoints for each track real-time un/mute etc.. wasn't someone going to do a review? Anyway I'm just curious cos I saw one in a radio shack the other day I didn't bother looking at it, no mulla$, but I might pick it up this week, so what should a realistic pricetag look like, and what are the cons/pros on this little darling that everybody is fuzzing over?

TadzU

Message 3/8             07-Dec-98  @  03:02 AM   -   RE: ok what the hell is the deal?

buggo

check out the 'live sequencing' thread, i go off about how cool it is...definitely a looping tool, if you want actual song arrangement then get something else. but it's cool. check the thread.

(but only when it fuckin works!!!!!

Message 4/8             07-Dec-98  @  01:03 PM   -   RE: ok what the hell is the deal?

Jimbob

Buggo - you never mentioned this in the live sequencing thread. Could be a big factor, I don't believe many other products include this feature.

Message 5/8             08-Dec-98  @  01:40 AM   -   RE: ok what the hell is the deal?

buggo

well thsi problem never presented itself until yesterday

Message 6/8             08-Dec-98  @  08:46 AM   -   RE: ok what the hell is the deal?

Richie

Well, I left this thread just in case anyone came up with something more usefull but. Maybe you could check the circuit board for hairline cracks or dry joints. When you puss the plate in it could be exerting extra pressure on the case of your q80, which in turn is causing the circuit board to be slightly bent, Which normaly would not cause anything to happen but in this case might be causing a dry joint to separate.

Message 7/8             08-Dec-98  @  10:29 AM   -   RE: ok what the hell is the deal?

Fingers

Don't know the Q80 but I had similar problems recently with another piece of kit. Richie could be right here.

Look for cracks on the pcb tracks where any pressure is applied...ie are the jacks or lead sockets or switches or whatever mounted directly on the pcb? If so they could cause stress fractures with leads going in and out. If so try and bridge the crack with a thin piece of soldered wire. Good luck.

~:¬)

Message 8/8             09-Dec-98  @  12:18 AM   -   RE: ok what the hell is the deal?

buggo

well i fixed it...sort of.

attached to the bottom of the circuit board is a thick piece of paper, cut to size, then a big piece of copper foil a bit smaller than the paper....in b/w the paper and the circuit board i stuffed a few thin strips of squishy foam....seems to work fine.

thing is, i must be hitting a pretty major problem if that little bit of pressure is enough to actually turn off the fucking system and blow out the fuse...can't be just a little data wire or something...

anyhow, it works now but i have no idea how long it will work for before it breaks again.

maybe i should be a mercenary bastard and send it in to the shop to repair the broken button...chances are they will disturb or remove the foam in there and then they'll have to fix that problem too...free, hopefully...muahaha im a bastard aren't i?

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 8 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)