aaa Cakewalk 8 to be released this month - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

06-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Cakewalk 8 to be released this month

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/8             11-Sep-98  @  01:50 PM   -   Cakewalk 8 to be released this month

99devils

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Surf on over to www.harmonycentral.com for more info.

-Craig

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/8             11-Sep-98  @  02:27 PM   -   RE: Cakewalk 8 to be released this month

kilo

oh god..... another upgrade.... oh well....

Message 3/8             14-Sep-98  @  02:02 AM   -   RE: Cakewalk 8 to be released this month

astroman

hmmm... seems more like it should be called cakewalk 7.5 or even 7.1... very little in the way of new features. Chirst... 7 just came out a few months ago. At any rate... doesn't look like its much worth the upgrade. Though the realite midi effects sound kinda cool.

Message 4/8             17-Sep-98  @  01:11 AM   -   RE: Cakewalk 8 to be released this month

Anyone no were I could get a copy of Cakewalk 7

Message 5/8             17-Sep-98  @  06:39 PM   -   RE: Cakewalk 8 to be released this month

99devils

If you mean free or illegal copy, for the sake of all musicians DON'T!

(climbing on soapbox)

The way computers and economics work is this: Company A produces product B. It takes company A one year and 10 programmers to produce product B. Each progmmer earns about $60k/yr, plus equipment, distribution, heat, light, advertising, etc etc etc.

The point is software is expensive to deliver. Company A must make back it's money, but since product A only appeals to musicians who record music using a PC, they only have a smallaudience to sell to. That's why stuff like Cakewalk Pro costs like $350 or so.

Please shell out for it before the costs go even higher!

-Craig

Message 6/8             29-Sep-98  @  06:41 AM   -   RE: Cakewalk 8 to be released this month

spazzzmo

If the Cakewalk developers are really only averaging $60K/yr they should look around. Competent, experienced C++ win32 programmers (with a few commercial releases under their belts) are all pulling in over $100K/yr _easy_(in the San Francisco bay / Silicon Valley area anyway). I have documented proof. ;)

Message 7/8             29-Sep-98  @  07:02 AM   -   RE: Cakewalk 8 to be released this month

kilo

it's all academic.... lesser cakewalk proggies are all done into numerous bundle deals with hardware manufacturers that must earn a bucketful, plus they selll in their won rights.... i guess companies take into account a certain amount of piracy... i mean.. if the s/w companies wanted to really do it, they could bust the Radium crew easy....

Message 8/8             30-Sep-98  @  06:24 PM   -   RE: Cakewalk 8 to be released this month

Purple Haze

The way I see it (but I might be wrong) is that when there wouldn't be any piracy, people who don't want to spend lots of cash (or who can't spend it) on f.e. cubase or cakewalk woud go for the cheaper, shareware stuff... things like sweet 16 and god knows what else. The big companies probably are losing some money, but not that much as compared to those few guys making little shareware programs after hours.

Also, piracy has been around for as long as commercial software has been around, and there's still loads of software companies around and always more and more software being released. And you know what I would like... that if you buy a piece of software and install it on your machine, it works and doesn't crash every 5 minutes, just like you would buy a fridge or a new tv, you put em on and they work.

(ps: I'm a winblows developer myself)

And spazzmo: $100K/year is nice, but how much hours a week do they work ? I know that in the US people tend to be more like living in order to work instead of working in order to live if you know what I mean.

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 8 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)