aaa i am a control freak - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

06-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: i am a control freak

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/8             03-Sep-98  @  05:47 AM   -   i am a control freak

buggo

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

...that is, i enjoy being able to play synthesizer modules instead of just looking at them...!!

what would you all reccomend as a totally basic keyboard controller (doesn't necessarily need knobs, as I eventually plan to use it with things like the basstation rack, which has 'em on the front panel, and the tx81z, which isn't much of a twiddlin' machine, etc...Just basic keys and A PITCH WHEEL! (even tiny octave range is ok! preferable actually!)

so a small, several-octave master keys that easily (quickly!!) lets me switch b/w midi channels, velo sensitivity is nice but by no means required...cheap IS required...as well as something that isn't going to fall apart right away...i plan to use it live...tips?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/8             03-Sep-98  @  09:11 AM   -   RE: i am a control freak

Sedusa

Link?:  Link

I dunno.. I killed two birds with one stone.. And one of your birds is already dead.. See, I wanted an FM unit, and I needed a controller, so I went with the DX7IIFD.. 6 op FM synth, and velocity, aftertouch, and all that good shit you need for a controller.. Now, I feel that when you buy a controller, you need to kill two birds with one stone.. Get a keyboard, AND get a really cool synth that you'll use forever... At this place in time, I personally would go for a Kawai K5000.. Additive synthesis, oh yes, killer knobs, and it looks SO COOL.. But then I'm making a little bit more money than you Buggo.. Not that much, really, but.. Lots of people like the CS1x as a controller.. And like the synth, too.. I haven't tried the CS1x, but I tried the AN1x and I was unimpressed.. I dunno.. My choice was the right one for me, but I don't know what you need... Tell me what holes you think you have in your sound setup, and I'll try to find a controller that fills 'em...

Message 3/8             03-Sep-98  @  09:35 AM   -   RE: i am a control freak

bill

buggo - talking of two birds with one stone - are you absolutely set on getting an emax rack because the keyboard version is cheaper and would work as a controller...

and then, when you're naming your emax patches you can use your emax keyboard as a typewriter - its sooooo much faster than using the slider....you get quite proficient at typing using it after a while....

Message 4/8             03-Sep-98  @  04:48 PM   -   RE: i am a control freak

influx

I already tried that, but buggo has been corrupted by Sedusas claim that the Emax is ugly! It doesnt have aftertouch, though, but it IS velo-sensitive..thats a good set of birds to kill-Emax as sampler and synth and controller and lover...oops!

Message 5/8             04-Sep-98  @  05:08 AM   -   RE: i am a control freak

buggo

No, I've not been corrupted by Sedusa's claim...altho I saw some pics of it and it DOES look like shit...he he...no offense dave man...the real reason is that it's so damn BIG!!!

I have such a small room, and I'm looking to play out live, so I don't want to lug huge stuff around: another thing about using a synth keyboard as a master controller is then don't you lose some flexibilty? (I don't know..it just sounds kind of fishy...)

so I think I'll want a dedicated controller (how much can they cost???)

Sedusa: loopholes in the setup...er...Well I've got a tx81z arriving in the mail soon, and i've got my juno 106, and i plan to get a few more rackmount modules, and maybe a few more keyboard synths, if I ever get some room. One thing that has perplexed me...If i have several keyboards (say, juno, basstation, prophecy) and I want to be able to play into my sequencer with all of them (not at the same time!) will I have to get a merge box? I don't want to buy a keyboard like the Juno and then have to play it with a fucking controller keyboard!! (It's only an issue because I can't turn off local control on the juno...otherwise i'd use it as a controller.)

so maybe if i could get some insights into how all yer studios are set up I could figure out some shit for my own little setup...

and influx dude, let me know next time you're in the area!

Message 6/8             04-Sep-98  @  07:26 AM   -   RE: i am a control freak

Influx

Im actually gonna come up there tomorrow--i havent said anything, cuz that leaves me very little time to do much more than spend time with the people im going to see...friends that I havent seen in a long time...Actually, bug...I may just stop in cuz Im leavin mid day, and that would be toward the end of my trip, and I could just get up there later than what I planned. Ill E you and you can give me your # and mebbe we can pull it off...if not...definitely some other time, and Ill bring my small gear and we can jam! same thing to Sedusa..it ousnded like you were a very bizzy fella, so I figgered maybe it could wait til I have more time? The # Ill be at is 831-460-9853. Ill take your #, too, saul, adn well see what happens. id like to drive up and check out spundae or saomehting!

Message 7/8             04-Sep-98  @  07:41 AM   -   RE: i am a control freak

buggo

sounds cool...probably won't work unless it's a weekend tho because i go to school 8-3 and work 7-830. if you ever come up here on a weekend lemme know...don't know how long you'll be here but this weekend is ideal because it's 3 days so i have no worries about school until 2am on tuesday...!

Message 8/8             04-Sep-98  @  11:46 AM   -   RE: i am a control freak

Sedusa

Yeah, this weekend at Spundaes should be a good one.. My # is 831-338-7060 .. Hehe.. And my answering machine has a robot voice saying "Please leave message.. After tone.. BEEP" .. Yup, that's my machine..

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 8 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)