aaa Question regarding sampling, please help! - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

06-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Question regarding sampling, please help!

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/8             03-Sep-98  @  03:27 PM   -   Question regarding sampling, please help!

Andreas

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I need some help. I recorded a peace of a song and cut the bass out. Now when I play with the bass, the sound is shorter/faster the higher I play and longer/slower the lower I play. Is there anything I can do to fix this with typical sampler functions? I'm quite new to using sampler. I use Gigasampler. Hope you can help me!

Andreas

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/8             03-Sep-98  @  03:38 PM   -   RE: Question regarding sampling, please help!

bill

Link?:  Link

set loop points so that the sample plays indefinitely - its in kilo's sampler section somewhere on the site how to do it.....

Message 3/8             03-Sep-98  @  03:43 PM   -   RE: Question regarding sampling, please help!

Richie

Timestretch your sample, If you double the length you will be able to play the note one octave higher and it will last the same amount of time as the original at the normal pitch.

Message 4/8             04-Sep-98  @  03:44 AM   -   RE: Question regarding sampling, please help!

Influx

Wouldnt multisampling be useful here? Kilo? I cant explain the process, but Kilo can! and hes back from vaca!

Message 5/8             04-Sep-98  @  03:53 AM   -   RE: Question regarding sampling, please help!

xoxos

might be good to spend some time learning about boring stuff if you're goind to really do this.. ie. waveform propogation, transduction ie. electronic to air et c., math, waveform additon, electronic oscillators. look under 'sound' and 'synthesis' if your univ. has a music library. i'm not a college grad., so this stuff is pretty simple, but spend a few hours in the library. the wiggly pictures are pretty. i'm not chiding, this stuff will help you use sound better. personally i like things that are pretty and i love watching things wiggle.

xoxos.

Message 6/8             04-Sep-98  @  09:59 AM   -   RE: Question regarding sampling, please help!

bill

i wouldn't say you need to go to the library - just a couple of hours browsing the dancetech pages should do - but you need to get your head around the fact that when you pitch samples up and down they get proportionately longer and shorter.

what you need to do is set loop points on the sample so that it has an initial attack portion (say 0.5 secs) and then loops cleanly afterwards - that'll give you an infinitite tone on each key - you can then use an envelope to get it to attack/decay as you want it to sound.

however, you really won't know what i'm on about until you read what kilo says.....

Message 7/8             04-Sep-98  @  12:21 PM   -   RE: Question regarding sampling, please help!

kilo

Andreas......do you mean, that you have isolated the bass from the sample loop somehow, and want to play it as a keyboard patch.... up and down say an octave of the keys??..... if so, you will have to take a short snapshot of the sample, and then find a loop point and loop it...so that you can get a longer sustained note...... then transpose it up and down the keyboard.... (that is for just one sample covering the whole range you wish to play...)

the other one (which still needs looping if you want to play it as long notes)... is multisampling..... for that you need to get a shot of the sample at different pitches..... maybe one sample every 2 or 3 semi-tones..... if you only have one original sample shot, then you'll have to pitch it over the keyboard range.... grab a shot from higher or lower from the original.... export it to a disk...... or another bank.... then re-build a new keyboard map, using the pitched up/down versions... importing each one into a new key position until you have the range.... however for a simple one octave bass sound, a single sample should be ok..... check out looping etc......

if that is what you are trying to do, getting a short clean sample shot, and looping is the way to go..... otherwise.... what is it you try to do?.... anyways... as the guys say.... checvk the sampling section for description of sampling this way

Message 8/8             04-Sep-98  @  04:20 PM   -   RE: Question regarding sampling, please help!

Andreas

Thank you all for the feedback! I did the timestretch thing and it sounds good enough to me. I found the bass in a song, cut it out, pitch G, and when I played in a higher pitch the sound was so fast/shorter and sounded so bad, but anyway after I timestretched the sample for each pitch it sounded alot better. Kilo, I'm going to read your sampler section to learn some more about it.

Thanks!

Andreas

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 8 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)