aaa SCSI- me no understand - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: SCSI- me no understand

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/8             16-Aug-98  @  02:27 AM   -   SCSI- me no understand

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

The Akai S2000 has got a pathetic little piddly LCD, so if I want to do some decent sample editing I need to use MESA PC right? Do I need to get a host adaptor for my PC to hook up to the sampler. I know midi sample dumps are slow, so is SCSI transfer any quicker? Also, theres storage. If i want to store a whole bunch of samples, do i need to use a zip drive connected in the SCSI chain, or can i just save it on my PC hard disk and transfer back to the sampler when required . Oh yeah, whats SCSI termination all about- I heard if you dont do stuff right then it all fucks up.
Erm...Im out of questions now so please feel free to add you 2 cents ( or pence )

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/8             16-Aug-98  @  01:41 PM   -   RE: SCSI- me no understand

r

yeah, what are all these different SCSI interfaces for?

I'm considering entering the world of SCSI when I attempt to build my next PC. What SCSI interface will I need for a hard-drive, external ZIP drive and CD-writer, possibly external (but I think they're A bit expensive.

Message 3/8             16-Aug-98  @  09:17 PM   -   RE: SCSI- me no understand

Jamie

Me too. I know sod all about SCSI and would like to get into it. Anybody know anything?

Message 4/8             16-Aug-98  @  10:25 PM   -   RE: SCSI- me no understand

ivan

SCSI is about 50 times faster when you're moving samples so it's a bit faster... SMDI also supports a bit more things like sample named and so on. As for SCSI on PC - I haven't tried it myself, but I've heard that you should avoid the cheaper interfaces since they can be unreliable, difficult to configure and so on. Termination is for telling SCSI that the chain ends there. You need one terminator in each end, and some units have terminators built in.

If you have any kind of sampler manual around, check it out! It might have some tips on SCSI and a few don'ts (like don't unplug live SCSI cables). At least both my Emu ESI and Peavey SP's manuals had a bit of info.

Message 5/8             16-Aug-98  @  11:26 PM   -   RE: SCSI- me no understand

Jamie

Cheers Ivan. I did wonder. I'll try and get the manual.

Message 6/8             17-Aug-98  @  12:11 AM   -   RE: SCSI- me no understand

kilo

yeap... I'd go for a 2940 adaptec, unless you wanna also use the PC scsi card tio run a fst Ultra-Wide scsi drive.... check with a dealer for scsi Adaptec card specs to run different levels of scsi... scsi used to be plain old SCSI... then came SCSI-2... then SCSI-Wide... then CSSI-Wide-2 etc... now we have Ultra-Wide.... the 2940 is a good, commonly available, cheapish all round scsi card and your pc should install it no problems...... soundforge also does akai edits... saves and loads 'em as akai files I think.... yuou can have up to 7 devices in a scsi chain....each one is given an ID number... then you address whichever unit you like... so a chain can have multiple drives, cdroms, cd-burners, samplers, etc..... the last unit needs a small Block fitted to the output terminal... thisis the SCSI Termination device.... it says .. "This is the last Item in the chain"....

Message 7/8             17-Aug-98  @  01:42 AM   -   RE: SCSI- me no understand

Jamie

Thnx Kilo. But also should I bother getting a zip drive? What is the big advantage of a zip drive over the samplers own floppy (Heh) drive?

Message 8/8             17-Aug-98  @  01:49 AM   -   RE: SCSI- me no understand

ivan

You'll get bored and develop an amazing capability to fit
everything onto 1 floppy if you don't get the Zip. Floppys are slow, small and boring.

And SCSI cables are fucking expensive! I have to pay 450 SEK (roughly 40UKP) just to get the cable I need to hook
up my 700MB HD to my sampler. Time to start collecting bottles...

"Will work for SCSI cable"- or what?

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 8 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)