aaa just go some new gear but.... dissapointed - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: just go some new gear but.... dissapointed

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/8             01-Aug-98  @  12:26 AM   -   just go some new gear but.... dissapointed

Ren

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I Got an Asr-x with scsi and danceboard. haven't hooked up the scsi yet.
I'm dissapointed in the box because of its timing. and its bugginess.
The new os 2.62 is said to have fixed various timing problems with the sequencer
but I don't know if I should get the new os or ditch the X for an A3000. I paid
$1425 US for my X. The effects are great, the sampler is cool, I like the pads, the sequncer is junk. I use my pc and cakewalk. I can't do anything now because looping with its sequencer yeilds minute time glitches that are hard to discern but you can catch if you pay close attention. I produce hiphop so my drums have to be tight!. Also triggering drums with cakewalk is not tight enough. I have no faith in Midi triggering now. The dance board has great drum kits. but some pathces mostly strings can't be played on the X they are staticky. they are made for some other ensoniq MR synth. Something about this box is attracting me while something else is pushing me toward rejectiing it. Should I have faith in ensoniq?? or go for yamaha?? I need something thats good for hiphop drums must be tight as hell!! I'm on some Roots, Tribe called Quest, Wu-Tang, Onyx type of flava if any of you all have ever checked those joints.

thanks

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/8             01-Aug-98  @  02:25 PM   -   RE: just go some new gear but.... dissapointed

JAWA

Uh?

I have no such timing probs that i have noticed what OS are you using dude?

& it could just be your unit.

Message 3/8             01-Aug-98  @  03:20 PM   -   RE: just go some new gear but.... dissapointed

Ren--

Get the MPC2000

Message 4/8             01-Aug-98  @  06:18 PM   -   RE: just go some new gear but.... dissapointed

Ren

I'm using 2.55. I went to the mailing list and they gave me the correct numbers to loop a sequence.
I was using numbers that I used in cakewalk. Now I made a tight beat and was very pleased.
Of course there are timing problems with the sequencer. And trying to slave the X to and external one.
Ensoniq knows this (among other problems, it depends how you use it) thats why they released
2.62 with those problems fixed. The X is a cool box. I just was so frustrated. How could they sell this
thing if I can't get a tight beat, it would have been useless. Jawa, Do you use and external sequencer
to control your X.

Message 5/8             01-Aug-98  @  06:26 PM   -   RE: just go some new gear but.... dissapointed

M.C. Ren

Sorry I can't get the MPC2000. I sure its great a creating drum loops, could be the best; but
As far as its sampling is concerned, its too primitive plus can't play sophistocated note
arrangements over a keyboard, plus no synth , plus no resample, no great effects, no great filtering

I'm sure the sequencer is great, but I got cakewalk, and no sequencer can top that to me. If I just
needed drums and some simple samples triggered here and there I would have got the MPC.

I needed a box could be a synth,sampler,and drum machine, and the X does it. It has its problems but
new O/S upgrades seem to help out dramatically. I'm still considering the A3000 though... Time will
tell.

Message 6/8             01-Aug-98  @  08:25 PM   -   RE: just go some new gear but.... dissapointed

Uh, an MPC will slay cakewalk.

Message 7/8             01-Aug-98  @  10:21 PM   -   RE: just go some new gear but.... dissapointed

KILO

WELL, ONE THING THE mpc WONT DO , IS ALLOW YOU TO TRIGGER DRUM NOTES in the lower range for example....... did you see that post where the person cant get it to trigger the drumstation, cos it wont go down to c-2........

Message 8/8             01-Aug-98  @  11:37 PM   -   RE: just go some new gear but.... dissapointed

John

Uh, an MPC will slay cakewalk.

I don't think an MPC will Slay cakewalk. There aren't many sequencers in samplers that will SLAY cakewalk, if any. I use cakewalk to trigger drums and whatever and its beautiful. Much better than looking at a little screen. You can do everything, quantize adjust note length, step record, pattern record you name it.
Its easy to see your whole song. I prefer the big screen of monitor, its so much less painstaking
It depends on what you like. If you want somethig really portable then use the small screen but
if you have a pc nearby theres no need. Now with laptops you can have a smaller screen but
still much much bigger than the screens of samplers.

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 8 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)