aaa how can I get my 909 bassdrum punchier? - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: how can I get my 909 bassdrum punchier?

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/8             27-Jul-98  @  08:18 AM   -   how can I get my 909 bassdrum punchier?

joey

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Getting my bassdrum line to sound big and round is a piece of cake, but can anybody help me as far as what it takes to get that chest thumping punchy sound. Is the trick in the compression? What kind of compressor works best if this is the case?

Please email privately.
Joey
joey@thevortex.com

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/8             27-Jul-98  @  08:20 AM   -   RE: how can I get my 909 bassdrum punchier?

kilo

if you mean that boxey euro sound, it's in the eq... otherwise, some compression can add punch... depends really, there are so many 909 versions.... maybe it's a 12 bit sample sound.... maybe it's the real thing thru overdriven gain..... not sure

Message 3/8             27-Jul-98  @  01:20 PM   -   RE: how can I get my 909 bassdrum punchier?

he he

kilo.... a 12 bit sample 9er bass drum

he he he

Holger

itīs a fun

Message 4/8             27-Jul-98  @  08:30 PM   -   RE: how can I get my 909 bassdrum punchier?

fungal_farm

the proper reverb gives it some force aswell

Message 5/8             28-Jul-98  @  05:43 AM   -   RE: how can I get my 909 bassdrum punchier?

kilo

true..... sometimes the right reverb, added so as you dont actually percieve it as having reverb added is good..... my fave is to pump the kik thru an insert off the channel gian... ram it thru an outboard para... boost the bass until it feeds back... roll it off a touch... then use the channel bass as a decay control... heh heh.... boooooooooooooooooooom

Message 6/8             28-Jul-98  @  07:17 AM   -   RE: how can I get my 909 bassdrum punchier?

dani2

Link?:  Link

Reverb is definitely a good option but that may also be decieving (DONT PRESS A RECORD BASED ON WHAT YOUR BD SOUNDS LIKE W/REVERB) the best option is compression then a little reverb, try running your compressed bd into a channel and the reverb into its own channel and use it as an FX send , it worked for mine. Also if you do a live performance dont use compression, because chances are once the sound guy sees a fuckin 909 hell compress you to the floor!

cya dannyc

Message 7/8             28-Jul-98  @  06:37 PM   -   RE: how can I get my 909 bassdrum punchier?

kilo

jesus... get your own mixer and present the house system with a stereo feed.... fucked if i'd let another engineer play with my mix..... another thing you can do is.... compress the SEND to the reverb... not the actual kik.... oh yes..... or mix in a sub-sine wave with it as a layered sample

Message 8/8             28-Jul-98  @  08:20 PM   -   RE: how can I get my 909 bassdrum punchier?

dani2

By compressing the kick before the reverb you would achieve the "bottomless bd thats about 2 milliseconds long" that with some reverb is very nice (Dave Clarke) although anway is possible.
When using my 909 bd i found it best to get a clean compressed bd before rev so you could get more clean defined rev. And I was talking about sending my feed to the house system, but any good house system here in the states has its protection. Although havent tried the sinewave thing yet , it sounds neat.

cya

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 8 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)