aaa Midi Delay?!! - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Midi Delay?!!

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/8             31-Jul-98  @  02:26 AM   -   Midi Delay?!!

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Check this out: I am using cakwalk7 to control my Asr-x ; using it as a module cuz cakewalk can do everything and more that its sequencer can. I make a drum track in cakewalk quantize, it all perfect the snare hits at the beggining of the 1st measure exactly. I record the 1 measure loop into my Gina, export it into soundforge, and what do i see??! Theres a small gap where there should have been all snare!!. A small silence before the snare!! the 1 bar loop is the correct length for its bmp with the silence. So I do it again.. same thing I use a casio keyboard to play the drum sounds instead of the Asr-x...Same thing !!! a small gap before the snare.. I
used software drum boxes like hammerhead,fruitlyloops.. and my snares start Right at the beggining no space no matter how small!! . I have to have my drums tight! I use an AWE64 for a midi interface (won't be suprised if thats the problem). My midi cables is like 6 or 10 ft. There is no complex daisy chain. I have a pentium 200 mmx computer 32 megs of ram. All these people who use midi and samplers to create drum tracks can't have a small gap before the first hit in the drum loop!! Whats happening??? The not is at the beggining of the measure but the sound generated takes too long to be recorded. How can I compensate for this.??

Thanks

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/8             31-Jul-98  @  08:40 AM   -   RE: Midi Delay?!!

Hey, whats up ?? I'm dyin over here!!
help

Message 3/8             31-Jul-98  @  12:25 PM   -   RE: Midi Delay?!!

kilo

well, when you make a drum loop in a sampler, by recordinmg an audio out from a drum unit to the sampler, or from a cd or whatever, the traditional way, is to set up an input Trigger on the sampler..... The sampler listens to the incoming signal... and as soon as it hears audio above a set threshold, it records..... that is the usual way to get a loop starting exactly when the actual signal starts....
however, it is not necessary to do that, ... you can easily trim silence from the start if you don't use the trigger method......

it seems that your sampling s/w is going into record slightly before the signal arrives.... this is not a problem at all.... you havent outlined HOW you are doing it tho....

for example..... what s/w are you using to actually record the sample prior to importing to S'Forge?...... how do you trigger the loop to be recorded??....... if you mean that your s/w sequencer triggers the loop, and also records the audio resulting onto one of it's own tracks, the slight delay could be expected.... that delay, would be the time it takes the note to reach the sound device and for the audio from that sound device to get back to the pc, thru the card, and into the system to be registered by the s/w recording it...... no problems there....

Message 4/8             31-Jul-98  @  02:24 PM   -   RE: Midi Delay?!!

The Pimp

I use my Aew64 to record stuff from my CS1x whilst at the same time sequencing it and I don't get any gap at all. Maybe it's the Gina.

Message 5/8             31-Jul-98  @  04:22 PM   -   RE: Midi Delay?!!

me

it seems that your sampling s/w is going into record slightly before the signal arrives.... this is not a problem at
all.... you havent outlined HOW you are doing it tho....

for example..... what s/w are you using to actually record the sample prior to importing to S'Forge?...... how do
you trigger the loop to be recorded??....... if you mean that your s/w sequencer triggers the loop, and also
records the audio resulting onto one of it's own tracks, the slight delay could be expected.... that delay, would
be the time it takes the note to reach the sound device and for the audio from that sound device to get back
to the pc, thru the card, and into the system to be registered by the s/w recording it...... no problems there....

I'm using Cakewalk7 to trigger the loop and I'm also using cakwalk7 to record the loop
by recording using the Gina. Then I export it to soundforge.m You said that delay would be expected.
If its no problem , how do I get rid of it???

thanks

Message 6/8             31-Jul-98  @  04:24 PM   -   RE: Midi Delay?!!

Me

I use my Aew64 to record stuff from my CS1x whilst at the same time sequencing it and I don't get any gap at
all. Maybe it's the Gina.

Ok Then I'll try it with the AWE. The Awe is the midi interface and record while the gina just records , i'll
see.

Message 7/8             31-Jul-98  @  04:49 PM   -   RE: Midi Delay?!!

me

Well, The same happened when recording into and triggering from the awe64.
There is still a small gap before the first hit of the drumloop

Message 8/8             31-Jul-98  @  07:01 PM   -   RE: Midi Delay?!!

ren

I think kilo is saying that you don't have a problem? The delay is not making the measure off
beat right. You said it was the correct length for 90 bmps. I don't know....

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 8 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)