aaa Knobbly boxes for the... - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

09-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Knobbly boxes for the...

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/8             01-Sep-03  @  04:52 AM   -   Knobbly boxes for the...

PlazIdyllic Pleazurkraft

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

... knobbly challenged.

I'm wondering about MIDI boxes for controlling parameters that are not accessed via the front panel knobs available. I've never used a knobbly box and wonder about their viability in live situations as well.

Also, what about older synths like an Ensoniq SQ80, or Sequential MultiTrak? I realize that this is pretty common stuff these days but for me its an area that I simply haven't explored. Be gentle.

I'll be searching for a few articles now.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/8             01-Sep-03  @  05:33 AM   -   RE: Knobbly boxes for the...

influx

Link?:  Link

mick..most knob boxes are programmable, so you just assign which CC# goes which with knob and youre set.

theres a new one by evolution that is nice...but the best Ive seen so far is the novation control25 (but its got a small keyboard, too...might not be what you want)

Message 3/8             01-Sep-03  @  11:58 AM   -   RE: Knobbly boxes for the...

steve

have you thought about building your own mick? ^^^^^

there's some pretty interesting possibilities if you take that route, including built in step sequencer and the like. this geezer here even made one with a built in tb3030: http://monopole.ph.qmw.ac.uk/~thomas/synthdiy/TBbox1.htm

Message 4/8             01-Sep-03  @  02:16 PM   -   RE: Knobbly boxes for the...

dARKSTATe

Kenton stuff gets my vote. Works like a charm, built like a tank!  

Message 5/8             01-Sep-03  @  03:29 PM   -   RE: Knobbly boxes for the...

Defector z

Link?:  No link

Doepfer has some pretty good knobby boxes. The Pocket Control is pretty solid.

Midiman has a couple of keyboard/knobboxes out as well. The Oxygen 8 has 2.5 octaves as well as 8 fully assignable knobs, and a pitch control, modulation wheel, and data slider.

Message 6/8             03-Sep-03  @  06:05 PM   -   RE: Knobbly boxes for the...

PlazIdyllic Pleazurkraft

I'm not up for building anything. Not now at least. What about stepping. Any problems there. Is that more a product of the synths internal architecture or the external controller's?

Message 7/8             03-Sep-03  @  06:50 PM   -   RE: Knobbly boxes for the...

psylichon

internal architecture

Message 8/8             03-Sep-03  @  07:02 PM   -   RE: Knobbly boxes for the...

knowa

Link?:  Link

unless the controller transmits data in chunks greater than 1. some early PCR series apparently sent controller data in steps of 3. the new ones do not.

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 8 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)