aaa swing and groove secrets - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

05-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: swing and groove secrets

Pages: 1 ... 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Original Message                 Date: 28-Jan-04  @  05:13 PM   -   swing and groove secrets

James Burnett

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

A question on swing and groove if anyones prepared to give up their secrets. You'll get good karma, I promise. How do you people go about injecting some groove in your club tracks. I've been using swing B in Logic and it works OK but I'm not entirely sure how to use swing properly. If I decide to move the 2 and 4 16th notes later by 21 ticks (swing B), then should I make sure that I use this swing setting on everything including all the drums and the bass and all the music?

I was reading that classic hip hop tracks keep the drums strictly quantised but swing the bass whereas classic funk tracks swing the drums but have a strictly quantised bass. I'm making (trying) underground house tracks and I reckon having everything strictly quantised is the best groove but this can't be right cos when I cut up all my favourite tracks (of CD, not vinyl), they seem to have some of their snares, percussion, etc that fall on the 2nd and 4th 16th notes (from what I can make out) on 21 and 41 ticks but when I attempt to do it, its sound sloppy and not tight.

Maybe I'm over analysing but surely groove can't just be about velocity and compression? How do you guys swing your tracks, have everything on the same swing setting or maybe slightly swing the main drums by say 6 ticks and swing the hats and shakers by 21 ticks? Do you think that’s the best way of looking at it?

I'm using my ears, I promise!!!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 71/80             12-Feb-04  @  08:23 AM   -   RE: swing and groove secrets

k

great thread! - yes agreed - of course there are rules, to suggest otherwise is stupid

and that goes for ALL music - if you play doom metal then that too has rules... if you make trance it has rules. or house or garage, hip hop, dancehall etc

BUt it's what one does within those rules which is interesting

Message 72/80             12-Feb-04  @  09:26 AM   -   RE: swing and groove secrets

dubmunkey

yup...i don't belive 16c is a RULE of house moreover something that many logic users use to good effect..therefore toi emaulte the sound of c-swing or 16b or whatever it is probably best to start off using similar quantize settings as them befor eyou get your hands dirty writing the beat....and having a tool which can snap your 2nd and 4th 16th notes to a new setting alievating the need to move them manually....plus there are some styles of house which are pretty straight, some are pretty sparse and not all of them rely on a real drummer element.....

greg

Message 73/80             12-Feb-04  @  04:18 PM   -   RE: swing and groove secrets

mcc>

what i also believe is exciting is the possibility of incorporating said swing values into musics which aren't house...creating further hybrids perhaps not yet explored this week.

Message 74/80             12-Feb-04  @  04:49 PM   -   RE: swing and groove secrets

k

yeah, there's some drum&bass around with triplets in it.... odd, but somehow refreshing although die-hards hate it

Message 75/80             12-Feb-04  @  04:52 PM   -   RE: swing and groove secrets

milan

Link?: Link

oh yeah... the dreaded CLOWNSTEP! lol...

(who thought of that silly name anyway??)

i've heard it in breaks too lately... SUAD did one track like that (remember them?!)

Message 76/80             12-Feb-04  @  08:23 PM   -   RE: swing and groove secrets

k

Link?:  Link

HEH - but SOME PEOPLE really THINK IT'S GOT SOMETHING

bloody caps

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 77/80             12-Feb-04  @  08:53 PM   -   RE: swing and groove secrets

milan

i didnt know you were caps-sensitive, k  

Message 78/80             13-Feb-04  @  10:04 AM   -   RE: swing and groove secrets

dubmunkey

yeah im sure i heard some dnb stuff that was in 3/4 like that andy c tune or was it triplets...(tries to remember by tapping hands on table)...

greg

Message 79/80             13-Feb-04  @  12:21 PM   -   RE: swing and groove secrets

milan

no, that was it... the bodyrock by andy c. now you get tons of track which have two bars of that followed by two bars of straight beat followed by few bars of amen... sounds like someone auditioning a bloody sample cd!

Message 80/80             13-Feb-04  @  12:53 PM   -   RE: swing and groove secrets

dubmunkey

lol sitar! yeah it had a cool gary-glitter groove and could have predicted the plethora of copiers...to me if youre gonna write a hard-edged dnb tune in 3/4 you will end up sounding like andy c....

cool track btw...that bass is sickness...

greg

Pages: 1 ... 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

There are 80 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)