aaa Yamaha TX81Z - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

06-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Yamaha TX81Z

Viewing all 82 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 9

Original Message 1/82             18-Jul-98  @  05:02 PM   -   Yamaha TX81Z

Browngirl

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Has anyone heard of this FM Module? Is it any good? Its in my local PawnShop for 135 UK pounds. Are they stupid?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/82             18-Jul-98  @  06:03 PM   -   RE: Yamaha TX81Z

kilo

fucking get it !!!..... the best FM version of all the modules cos it's up to 8 part multi....THE classic house and garage & other sounds.... get it get it get it.....

Message 3/82             18-Jul-98  @  11:59 PM   -   RE: Yamaha TX81Z

weasel

It goes in the US for $100-$190.... but in any case market value is still excellent value for money...

Message 4/82             19-Jul-98  @  12:52 AM   -   RE: Yamaha TX81Z

ivan

It's not very easy to program though- unless you like
menus (I do).

Message 5/82             19-Jul-98  @  06:13 AM   -   RE: Yamaha TX81Z

Hilevelt

Link?:  Link

You'd be surprised, older synth guys think they're absolute crap; I don't know about England, but they sell anywhere from $40-$200 in Los Angeles.

Message 6/82             19-Jul-98  @  11:46 AM   -   RE: Yamaha TX81Z

Browngirl

Is it good for deep bass sounds? Is it really adaptable? Can I use it in jungle aswell? So, is £135 uk a reasonable asking price in the UK?

Message 7/82             19-Jul-98  @  01:15 PM   -   RE: Yamaha TX81Z

kilo

yes....it's as low as you'll get it under normal circumstances.... yes it does excellent low basses (check out the flying dub in the kilo4-3 section -left toolbar)... that is a DX jazz organ doing the bass.... plus you get the classic detroit solid bass... and big hollow square wave bass... etc.... make your own too........ it's a bass & organ sound synth... classic sounds...... plus, it'll do 2 or 3 or 4 at once......
if you do garage, house, Jungle etc... one of these, and a sampler is enuff to cut a tune... no problems....

Message 8/82             19-Jul-98  @  03:16 PM   -   RE: Yamaha TX81Z

weasel

There's also a weird TX81z shareware editor called SyMa (don't ask me why...). I don't know if there are any new versions.... the one I have is windows3.1 and dates from1991...it'll work in win95 though...

Message 9/82             19-Jul-98  @  10:37 PM   -   RE: Yamaha TX81Z

Browngirl

Is it anything to do with the DX7? Better/\Worse?

Message 10/82             20-Jul-98  @  02:03 AM   -   RE: Yamaha TX81Z

Influx

From what I understand, the TX81 is the rack version of the DX21(?) or is it the DX11(?) Fuck if I know, but I do know that I got one for $100 US recently, and am very happy with the sounds after only having it for a short while. The way i see it, the programming is definitely a little time consuming, but also pretty versatile, and yes, it does some pretty cool bass, and also fucked up "chaos" type industrial sounds. I dont even know mine that well yet and I am happy with it. I just saw one at www.recycler.com for $100-so maybe you should look around before you pay the price you found?
I say get it though-it is pretty versatile and 8 part multi as well

Message 11/82             20-Jul-98  @  02:04 AM   -   RE: Yamaha TX81Z

can I say "pretty" anymore?
Kilos recommendations have not fallen short for me yet, so that is something else to keep in mind-if hesays "GET it!" you can probably go.

Message 12/82             20-Jul-98  @  02:13 AM   -   RE: Yamaha TX81Z

Hilevelt da' pimp

Yesh beby, that tx81z's got the sexy charms. She's complex, but isn't any good woman? It's what makes 'em fiery! 'N dat big, fat boo-tay keep you knockin' an' rockin' the whole night through (but she's a cheap little whore, everyone on this thread's had 'er ;).

Message 13/82             20-Jul-98  @  08:54 AM   -   RE: Yamaha TX81Z

kilo

the DX7 uses 6 operators (oscillators)...whereas the rest of the range of cheaper dx's use 4..... however this is cool....... dx7 is ok... more smoother sound.... but lacks those classic house & garage & jungle presets.... you'll have to create them..... and.. the original dx7 will cost you more... and it has fuck-all storage space for sounds...... the DX100, the TX81Z and the fb01 all have more.....

Message 14/82             20-Jul-98  @  03:09 PM   -   RE: Yamaha TX81Z

gee

I've got a TX81Z, and I think the presets in it are absolutely wicked. Personally, I think it's quite easy to create your own patches. It has some very dark noises and solid basses... perfect for Drum and Bass etc... If I knew what I know now,... I'd have bought one a long time ago.

Message 15/82             20-Jul-98  @  05:47 PM   -   RE: Yamaha TX81Z

chad_mitchell

Greets:

I just discovered the FM synthesis section in Sound Forge, and think it is absolutely tremendous for FM 4 operator samples. My question is,does the tx81Z provide me with anything that I can't generate samplewise with soundforge. As far as I'm aware FM sounds cannot me altered like analogue in real time. Should I spend 150 or so to have this classic piece, or am I just feeding my gear fetish?

Thanks,

-Chad-

Message 16/82             20-Jul-98  @  09:08 PM   -   RE: Yamaha TX81Z

kilo

y' could be...... but then do you play out of the house ?.......

Message 17/82             20-Jul-98  @  09:57 PM   -   RE: Yamaha TX81Z

chad_mitchell

NA, I'm a DJ and spin out my tracks after I burn to CD. I'm looking to stricctly produce at home and eventually press viny. In my ghetto setup I'm trying to get the most out of my R8, mc303, pc1600x, awe 64 gold, and all of the software I can get my hands on.

Acid is killer for loops and effects, but If they only allowed you to step write like in Making Waves. Making Waves lacks because it defietely thins out sound quality.

-Chad-

Message 18/82             20-Jul-98  @  10:45 PM   -   RE: Yamaha TX81Z

Browngirl

Ok I think I'll get it - it sounds like what I need!
Is it good for them basslines in "Speed Garage"?
Thats what I'm doing at the moment.... anyway, what shall I check for when I buy it?

I don't think it comes with a box OR a manual so shall I forget it or are they hard to come by?

Is it fully MIDI controllable.... the only MIDI keyboard controller I have at the moment is a cheap Yamaha PSS job and Cubase ( but I intend to get the CS1X soon enough - although I've got the DB50XG in my soundcard )

Message 19/82             20-Jul-98  @  11:57 PM   -   RE: Yamaha TX81Z

ivan

One cool thing to check out in the TX81z is the
mono mode. It won't retrigger the envelope (great for filtery sounds) and you can have fingered portamento too!

The manual is helpful, so get it if you can. Quote: (from memory, on stacking voices) "with this you can OUTFAT even the fattest analogue!" ;)

Message 20/82             21-Jul-98  @  06:33 AM   -   RE: Yamaha TX81Z

Hilevelt

I dunno, it's so damn hard to program that I've personally never cracked open the manual. It's nicer just to layer sounds w/ cubase on top of it.

Chad, you can get preset maps for your pc-1600 to edit the tx81z, so I would guess you can twiddle real-time. I'm absolutely jealous of you for having that thing ;).

Message 21/82             21-Jul-98  @  10:21 PM   -   RE: Yamaha TX81Z

Rouge

What are the MIDI controllers like?

Message 22/82             21-Jul-98  @  10:55 PM   -   RE: Yamaha TX81Z

buggo

how does this thing do on hardcore type shit; run through a distortion pedal, etc?

Message 23/82             22-Jul-98  @  07:19 PM   -   RE: Yamaha TX81Z

browngirl

what? its so hard to program you haven't checked the manual? eh?

As I asked :::: can it be used for them speed-garage bass lines?

Message 24/82             22-Jul-98  @  09:45 PM   -   RE: Yamaha TX81Z

ivan

It doesn't take very much MIDI except the standard: velocity, modwheel, pitchbend, aftertouch, breath controller ;), and you can't route it to very many things.
But you can get velocity to modulate a modulator so you have filtery sounds.

I played around with the guitar sounds through a distortion pedal, and it sounded fairly good, but I guess that's not what you want ;) I'll try to overdrive it and see what happens. Not that you need separate distortion since you can get distorted sounds from it anyway.

Hmmm- did just get a feeling that you could use a LFO on slow speed to get filter stuff.. got to try... anyway, check out the TG77 - a monster! Resonant filters, feedback between samples and FM and all other kind of sick things...

Message 25/82             22-Jul-98  @  10:11 PM   -   RE: Yamaha TX81Z

hilliard

Yes, Browngirl, it can be used for Speed-Garage Bass sounds. It has been referenced (along with the DX100) as a favorite by many Speed Garage acts. Especially by RIP (Ripgroove). In a recent issue of FM (Future Music), they discussed this topic. They listed the DX100 and the Juno-106 as bass machines for them (along with the Akai samplers S3000 and CD3000 for sine/square waves to help create their bass patches. They did not list the TX81Z in their kit-list, or talk about it, but it could be seen in a photo of their rack modules. It is very similar to the DX100, actually with more features (waveforms) and multi-timbrality. I know a few cats who have them both and use them both, although I don't know specifically the reasons for choosing to use the DX100 over the TX81Z, or vice-versa, sonically.

Check out a thread in the Analog Chat area, dealing with Speed Garage, Jungle bass. There are some good comments there, too.

Message 26/82             23-Jul-98  @  01:41 AM   -   RE: Yamaha TX81Z

kilo

the dx 100 has more presets i guess that is why... alot of people shy away from programming those FM units.....

the yamaha DX FM synth is THE main primary synth of garage & house, and frankly, alot of other styles... as i always say... without one of the range.. your sonic arsenal is NOT complete......

see, i think again we have to drag it back to the same thing I'm ALWAYS banging on about.... on this & other sites we all discuss all the latest wizzo kit, synths, s/w etc etc... in fact if the entire synth industry was nuked tommorrow, it wouldnt make the slightest difference..... all the tools are there that you need...

point 2... like ALL art forms... they are never EVER invented by well off people sitting around with loads of stuff.... they are ALWAYS create by people with fuck all.....

so... jungle ??.... what do you use to create jungle... where is it from ?.... well, it's a dDJ at a sound-system play off, playing an old 70's dub track, then cutting a hip-hop beat over it with a 3 time push.... it's ragga timing, with a 1/2 time bass...IT'S FUCKING RAGGA..... and if you dont know the culture of the sound system, the dancehall, the play-off's, where one sound cuts a tune.... the MC's get buzy, stirring up the crowd... then the other side tries to top it with something more radical etc etc...that is how it originated.....

so,,, the DJ already knows how to push a 3 time cut... anyone with a reggae background knows it... so.....he does it using a scratched break beat... then one of the crew ranting some vocal, whilst someone else in the crew wanks the time & feedback knob to buggery on a crappy analog delay unit like a MELOS delay... the kind you see for 20 quid in tat shops and cheap local music shops... that is it.... not fucking akai 2K samplers etc... ex5 synths and all that shite... it's just not in the culture... and it NEVER sounds authentic using those items.. to me... it just is NOT Jungle.....

Garage... a crappy old synth (ie a cheap nasty old DX FM unit.... and a cheap sampler for drums... that's it... or maybe a cheap old analog.. or one of each...originally, it was old 909's, and other drum boxes like the dmx for hip-hop, no-one wanted.....but it still all comes from the DJ... the decks..... samplers just do what decks do... but with more scope... more detail... but it all starts with 2 or 3 decks and a bunch of vinyl.... that is THE root of hip-hop..... 2 decks.... and an MC... the sampler just makes it easier.... and more creative that that which can be done with 2 hands....

techno (as we call it now).... squatters, rock/punk musicians, with a few electric guitars... a drum box.... a few guitar pedals... an old 303./606. or other nasty old analog.... mate... we all did it.. everyone was in their squat with crap 303's and 202, and 101's, six-tracks, etc, that NO-ONE wanted to know as they all raced to get Linn-Drums etc... stuff it thru the distortion pedal... ram it into a bass rig.... and it evolves
to use 909's maybe... and then cheap samplers.... which didnt even exist when all this was happening... there were no samplers.... just BELL delays with 10 or 20 second chips that cost like 2.5 K....until the Mirage came along, and then the akai s700 followed by the s900, FZ, and the emax etc etc........about 1983-4

so.... the classic techno or trance set-up becomes.....a sampler... an analog synth... an atari.. a few pedals...... that is .....IT... and that is in itself an evelovement to high end gear !!.....but it starts with a crappy old synth fed thru an Electro-Harmonix distortion pedal, pumped out of your guitar amp in the squat at 3 am until the police arriveto bust you.. heh heh...... we're talking cheap crap.....and NOTHING sounds like it .......

now obviously we're not going to stop adding new kit reviews etc when new dancetech opens.... and s/w and everything else... cos it is our passion is it not ?... that is all of our passions.. tech stuff... sonics...music etc etc.....but...

that is the root of ALL styles...NECESSITY is the mother of invention..... not a 3 k budget

er... ok..... i'll shut up now....

Message 27/82             23-Jul-98  @  06:49 PM   -   RE: Yamaha TX81Z

Browngirl

The big PROBLEM is that I have never owned a synth before and this TX81Z has no fucking manual!

Is it easy to figure out? I do have a brain but have no experience with synths ... what do I do?

Message 28/82             23-Jul-98  @  07:22 PM   -   RE: Yamaha TX81Z

hilliard

I agree with what you're saying, kilo, but I *do* believe that a good "modern" workstation (be it an XP, MPC, etc) or even an older/cheaper one (O1/W, M1, VFX, etc) can be very beneifical to a "low-budget" set-up, as well. Of course, they do hike up the price of a set-up, but even if they are used just for the sequencer and maybe a few patches (acoustic piano, strings, horns, percussion, etc), they can really "gel" together a bunch of older (cheap) gear (TX81Z, 606, 101, Juno, whatever).

But you're right....the music certainly can be done without them. I was just reading an article on Kevin Saunderson in the new FM. They mentioned that all he had back in the early Detroit techno days was an MC-500, a DX100 (there it is again), a CZ-5000, and a small Tascam desk. Of course, *now* he has a Waldorf Wave! (a friend of mine is engineering some of his latest stuff, here in the Detroit burbs). Juan Atkins had (and I think, *still* has) a pretty minimal set-up, including an S900, MC-50, Korg 707, DX100 (natch!), etc.

I have a pretty good pile of gear (15-20 synths/drum machines/samplers/modules), some old, some new, some cheap, some a bit more pricey, and I do use most of it at some time or another, but I find myself using an XP-50 (fully expanded with: Vintage, Techno, Dance, and Keyboards of the 60's&70's) along with just a few other older synths/boxes (MIDIMINI, JUNO-106, TB-303, S-550) to do most of my stuff, lately. And other times the XP-50 is all I need/use for some tunes. Whatever works, eh?

Nice analysis of various old-school styles, BTW.

Anyhoot, Browngirl, get that darn TX, will ya'?

Message 29/82             23-Jul-98  @  07:25 PM   -   RE: Yamaha TX81Z

ivan

It's kind of hard if you don't get the FM concept of
making sounds, but most of the things are the same as in
other synts, like LFOs, envelopes etc. You have to push
*a lot* of buttons though -it isn't as easy as a Juno-106... but if you get the hang of it it's fairly easy. (I wouldn't be without mine, but I wouldn't have it as my only synth either...)

Do you want to know how to have realtime "filter" control on it? Guessed so. Do like this:

1) set the filter to square wave, speed 0, sync:on
2) sensitivity: PMD 0; AMD 3 + on for the modulators
3) utility(?): modwheel PMD:0 AMD:99

Now play the sound and move the modwheel...

Kilo, do you want some TX81z sounds for Dancetech? (and BTW, you can send me your K2000 and you can have all my
cheap pedals. Deal? ;)

Message 30/82             23-Jul-98  @  11:37 PM   -   RE: Yamaha TX81Z

Hilevelt

he he, nice one, kilo, makes me realize what a spoiled, over-equipped, capitalist piece of shit I am. NAH, it's easy to have money for kit when you ain't smokin' that which you sellin' ;)

Anyway, the tx81z is a horrible first synth if you actually want to program it, but realize that all dx100's were used for in the old days was the presets. You've got 128 presets on the tx, and put through effects or layered w/ other kit (or it's own voices, 8-part multi-timbral), you'll realize that the ability to program (besides for the amp envelope, which is easy enough) isn't necessary, at least not for a little while.

I once took a class on synthesis, and even though we had 2 moog modulars sitting in the corner, all we did was program dx7's all day long. Personally, I don't ever want to program another fm synth again.

Message 31/82             23-Jul-98  @  11:58 PM   -   RE: Yamaha TX81Z

kilo

when new dancetech comes up, you can add the files to the library catagorised by synth....

Message 32/82             24-Jul-98  @  01:01 AM   -   RE: Yamaha TX81Z

weasel

There are a couple editors for it, and some patches, in SYSEX form I believe at:
www.yamaha.co.uk/synth/html/classic/p_dx.htm

Message 33/82             24-Jul-98  @  06:19 PM   -   RE: Yamaha TX81Z

Browngirl

Ok, now I've got it how do I use it?

Do you know where I can get a manual?

How do you reset it?

BTW on my one the MIDI velocity doesn't work ... only
notes and program change! No portamento neither! Fuck!

Is it me or is there a lot of background noise too?

Message 34/82             24-Jul-98  @  08:27 PM   -   RE: Yamaha TX81Z

hilliard

The "background noise" is most likely just FM noise. They are all a bit noise when it comes to that. My old DX7, was the absolute worst! I think the TX81Z is a little better, so consider yourself lucky.

On the "Techno" expansion board, in my XP-50, there is a dead-on "Solid Bass" patch....that I actually use way too much......but point is, it's so dead-on that it actually has the FM noise (from the DX100) in it!....hehehehe.

Message 35/82             25-Jul-98  @  02:04 AM   -   RE: Yamaha TX81Z

weasel

About the manual, you could try calling Yamaha... I was kind disappointed their web
site didn't have any old downloadable online manuals...
Otherwise try this guy:
http://www.magicnet.net/~mglnsky/msg4.html

If that doesn't work out, I'm expecting a tx81z soon (COD)...Hope I'm not about to get ripped
off.... But the good news is it still has a manual with it. Might be willing to copy it if it isn't too big...

Message 36/82             25-Jul-98  @  08:05 PM   -   RE: Yamaha TX81Z

Browngirl

I'm kind of picking it up now .... awesome!!!

Thanks Weasel!

Message 37/82             25-Jul-98  @  11:06 PM   -   RE: Yamaha TX81Z

Hilevelt

hmm, just had a look through the manual (my second time ;) for a system reset, but didn't find anything. Must be a secret key press.

Message 38/82             31-Jul-98  @  10:04 PM   -   RE: Yamaha TX81Z

influx5150

Hey Browngirl-I have the manual, and a a friend who works at a copy shop, so I could get you a copy, depending on how much the post is to UK. Let me know if you need it-I wont be back to CA until 8/11 or so, but I could do it then.
Hey Eric-FUCK YOU 
Dude-this sucks being away from my equipment now-I keep gettting all these ideas, but nothing to work with!AAARRRGHHH!

Message 39/82             31-Jul-98  @  11:20 PM   -   RE: Yamaha TX81Z

Browngirl

Yes Please! I've tried tracing it everywhere but no luck - theres a guy in the US who wants me to send him $20 dollars wrapped in tin-foil !?!? Bizarre!

How big is the manual? This thing is a complete fucker to operate!

Do you think you could scan it and e-mail it to me???

Message 40/82             31-Jul-98  @  11:59 PM   -   RE: Yamaha TX81Z

Hilevelt

NOT a newbie synth for programming, just stick to the basics until you get to BUY a copy of the manual from Yamaha (much too big to post)

Influx, I hope you brought that dictaphone, those vacation moments of inspiration are golden ;)

Message 41/82             04-Aug-98  @  06:06 AM   -   RE: Yamaha TX81Z

influx

waddaya mean-jsut because I decided I needed a "dramatic restructuring" of my OS while sitting on top of a mountain with thunder and lightning all around does not say anything....I probably shoulda brought something though, cuz I forgot all that shit already! I want my kit!!!! Im dying in this shitkicker town-there are no chicks, no people my age, and not even any curbs to skate! One more week.
Hey Hilly, I do want to "jam" when I get back-Ive got some Ideas, but I need your kit cuz mines, uh, limited.
SELL ME YOUR MATRIX! Were friends, now, right!

ANyway-Browngirl-I dont have a scanner at home (where my manual is at)-but I would be willing to get it copied and sent to you if it wasnt too much of a pain-it is very, uh, involved, though, and Ive sort of ignored it as well and just fumbled around and come up with some shit I like-maybe Hillys right and you should just feel around a little first-how are you triggering the sounds if its your first synth anyway-you need a controller, dont you? I thought you said it was your first synth-am I trippin?
Peace

Message 42/82             09-Aug-98  @  05:03 PM   -   RE: Yamaha TX81Z

weasel

I emailed several ads before buying one, but another seller just emailed me back today....
So if anyone in the US is interested in a TX81Z for $125 + shipping contact Brad at
MIDIWORLD@aol.com....

(don't blame me if it doesn't work though, just passing it on...)

Message 43/82             09-Aug-98  @  05:24 PM   -   RE: Yamaha TX81Z

Browngirl

How do you set it up so its Multi-Timbral?
And how do you wipe the stupid message at the start?

Message 44/82             09-Aug-98  @  05:55 PM   -   RE: Yamaha TX81Z

kilo

midi section i'd say as far as i can remember...... with all synths, if you have no manual.. get a pen, and paper.... step thru each section, and draw out the hierarchy of the synth as a diagram.... then you'll have it basically.....

Message 45/82             10-Aug-98  @  10:02 AM   -   RE: Yamaha TX81Z

noteven

Hey brownie, turn your shit on while holdingSTORE use DEC/INC to select letters or nums when done press PARAMETER, EDIT or PLAY to return to normal screen , turn it off and walla!

get used to Lately Bass

out...

Message 46/82             10-Aug-98  @  10:57 AM   -   RE: Yamaha TX81Z

chris

Anyone created some cool patches on this unit that they would divulge configuration set-ups for?
Lately bass is ok,.. but a bit dated now... pure sines are alot better (I think).... I like all the transposed down flute noises etc on the TX81Z.. they are quite dark.... If I sample these and thrash them through some envelopes they get quite juicy....anyhow....anyone with some patch/operator arrangements that you would share.. especially bass-line orientated stuff. Of all the bass-lines I can make, I am still missing that certain 'punch' on middle scale bass notes. A sine wave sounds good at the low end, but go a few notes up, and it sounds too high pitched and kak. I've tried overlaying organ sounds but it still ain't there.. so I'm still searching.. any ideas? I have a JV1080, TX81Z, and an EMU sampler

Message 47/82             11-Aug-98  @  01:29 AM   -   RE: Yamaha TX81Z

weasel

There are a lot of bass patches in the sysex banks at www.yamaha.co.uk/synth/html/classic/p_dx.htm

You have to search for them though! There's over a thousand patches altogether (in
alphabetical order, though)

If anyone has a link to any bass performances (layered patches), please post....thanks!

Message 48/82             11-Aug-98  @  06:12 AM   -   RE: Yamaha TX81Z

buggo

I noticed in the DX21 crowd you (kilo) said FM was not usually used by techno artists.....help me out with genres here? This module sounds great for the price, but if I am mostly doing what you'd call techno (downtampo breakbeat-stuff, lots of distortion, a la god lives underwater..) would this FM module (or any) work well? I must say it's quite cheap and if it'd do for what kind of music I'm makin I would love to buy one...but if there are any types of examples of what types of shit it's good for I'd appreciate it. (Yes, i keep hearing about "solid bass" and whatnot, but in actuality, what type of role can it play in a mix? how does it do with hard/distorted stuff?)

Message 49/82             11-Aug-98  @  12:54 PM   -   RE: Yamaha TX81Z

kilo

what i meant was... what people call techno now..... although sure it's still viable, the dx range does great sounds... and something rarely talked about here.... layering??...

Message 50/82             11-Aug-98  @  06:55 PM   -   RE: Yamaha TX81Z

Browngirl

Ummmmmmmmm, what is SYSEX?

I've downloaded some TX81Z editor thing from the net which when unzipped turned out to be a load of plain icons!?!?!?
Any idea?

Message 51/82             11-Aug-98  @  11:47 PM   -   RE: Yamaha TX81Z

replica

SYSEX - or system exclusive - a digital language unique
to the relevant synth - the short and curlies of it is that a patch can be saved to your software editor,librarian or sequencer etc, and then later re-transmitted to the synth - as was, a sysex bank is a bank of patches - in the case of the TX81Z 32 patches. The TX81Z is now so old that there are literally 1000's of user patches available either on the web or from specialist patch libraries - i.e. Sounds OK etc. The web is the place to start cos its usually free !!

Message 52/82             27-Aug-98  @  01:59 AM   -   RE: Yamaha TX81Z

buggo

ok, I too have become enticed by this thread. is $125 US unreasonable? He says he *thinks* he can find the manual, but isn't sure. I just sold my MC300 and...umm....borrowed my dad's computer MIDI interface, and I have cakewalk pro audio 6 to sequence until I get another hardware unit. so do you lot think that's a good price?

Message 53/82             27-Aug-98  @  02:03 AM   -   RE: Yamaha TX81Z

Influx

Buggo-thats probably a good price (I got mine for $100-Id try to get him down to that. Tell, him, "man, without that manual, that things only worth about a bill!") I will get the manual copied and mail it to you,t hen you wouldnt have to worry about all that. Let me know. Oh, and-whats up? you dont answer the emails at your Q80 site?

Message 54/82             27-Aug-98  @  06:15 AM   -   RE: Yamaha TX81Z

buggo

whaa? I have my email proggie check that account....aww fuck I hate netaddress! if you sent something there, presumably you still have a copy somewhere; try sending it to atoews@usa.net (my usual address). thanks; and I'm going to try to convince him how much it will cost to get the manual from yamaha (around $20, right?) and see if he'll take that off the price. I really don't much like menus and cursors but I've found my juno (while shitloads of fun to program...i know the particular synth well enough to get just about any sound i want in a few minutes, which is nice...) it just doesn't present a challenge anymore. I think one of the biggest influences in creating a track is the user interface of a given piece of gear; certain UI's just lend themselves to certain things, so a variety can be good. also, IT'S CHEAP!! (primary concern of course...he he...)

Message 55/82             28-Aug-98  @  02:20 AM   -   RE: Yamaha TX81Z

buggo

Well, i bought a different tx81z for $125, only it's in mint condition, with a manual. should be here (by COD) in a few days. only thing is, the guy tried to sell me ALL of his gear...gave me the hour-long sales pitch from across the US, on my dime...oh well. I'm pleased.

Message 56/82             28-Aug-98  @  11:23 PM   -   RE: Yamaha TX81Z

weasel

He wasn't selling an ESI32 was he?

Message 57/82             29-Aug-98  @  05:19 AM   -   RE: Yamaha TX81Z

buggo

don't think so....but he was selling some kind of emu gear (one of their cheezy sample synths) and a roland sound canvas and I FUCKING HATE PRESET SAMPLE BASED STUFF!!!!!!! GRRR..GNASH! There sure is a lot of it tho...anyway does anyone know how much future music costs? can't buy it in any local mag shops, but the best of all possible worlds is if someone has some fairly recent copies sitting around...I'd pay a few $$ for them if you don't want em anymore!

Message 58/82             29-Aug-98  @  08:48 PM   -   RE: Yamaha TX81Z

weasel

It's around $11, and if you're lucky your local Borders or Barnes and Noble store will have it
(not all of them carry it though for some reason)

Message 59/82             29-Aug-98  @  08:52 PM   -   RE: Yamaha TX81Z

buggo

$11 a copy????????????? HOLY SHIT! ok, fuck FM, i want to buy gear...he he...

and the local barnes and noble doesn't carry it, and they won't order it. other magazines like Keyboard and EQ i just go in there and read; not like i have to buy em or anything!!

Message 60/82             29-Aug-98  @  11:22 PM   -   RE: Yamaha TX81Z

rouge

what do you want FM for?

They put some reviews up on the net ....

http://www.futurenet.com/musiciansnet/

Message 61/82             30-Aug-98  @  04:21 AM   -   RE: Yamaha TX81Z

weasel-ESI32 w/8 meg--makenoyze@hotmail.com (I think thats it) email me @influx5150@hotmail.com if I got the address wrong.

Message 62/82             30-Aug-98  @  04:25 AM   -   RE: Yamaha TX81Z

influx

theres no E at the end of that--"makenoyz"--thats the right address tho. Tell her Dave sent ya!

Message 63/82             31-Aug-98  @  06:35 AM   -   RE: Yamaha TX81Z

buggo

a few deep thoughts (one actually!) that just occurred to me...

one would naturally have to assume from browngirl's name that she is female...but I've noticed there has not been any of the usual male-female bullshit that got started with acid cat, and to a degree, daniella...my theory is that she didn't try to pull the gender card and get attention as AC did...and therefore has saved herself a lot of shit...after all we all have something we can claim gives us setbacks (my tender young age, sedusa's pathetic drug abuse, jock's porn obsession...) but we don't mention them normally, much to the relief of the others here...blah blah blah...

the upshot: cheers to browngirl for being fucking SANE!

Message 64/82             01-Sep-98  @  05:30 AM   -   RE: Yamaha TX81Z

Bball

as if anyone cared I have an SY77 I would love to have the classic garage basses and organs but I DON'T HAVE JACK
POINT SHIT ON THE MACHINE -- shouldn't it be able to give
you all that stuff? SNIFF!

Message 65/82             01-Sep-98  @  01:43 PM   -   RE: Yamaha TX81Z

Sedusa

It's not my fault.. It's this terrible disease...

Message 66/82             01-Sep-98  @  02:42 PM   -   RE: Yamaha TX81Z

bill

isn't that what michael jackson said?

buggo - how tender are you, and where's your site with your music? or haven't you got one....

sedusa - have you got a site as well?

Message 67/82             02-Sep-98  @  03:58 AM   -   RE: Yamaha TX81Z

buggo

i am wrinkled and grizzled, with the spirit of an old man.

my site is at http://www.thegrid.net/jctlo/q80/

i probably ought to explain that stupid ass name...but i won't...there are too many people with stupid ass names...!!!

Message 68/82             02-Sep-98  @  09:48 AM   -   RE: Yamaha TX81Z

bill

went there, enjoyed the spiel, failed to connect for the real audio, sent you an email about it, what can i say other than i like the names of the songs - guess i'll hear them sometime when my server decides to like me again.

Message 69/82             03-Sep-98  @  01:55 AM   -   RE: Yamaha TX81Z

buggo

yeh, i'll zip off some mp3s tonight.

(spiel? which one?)

Message 70/82             03-Sep-98  @  09:24 AM   -   RE: Yamaha TX81Z

bill

just the general patter. and it doesn't sound like a stupid-ass name - more like a yamaha hardware sequencer. whatever pushes your buttons though

Message 71/82             03-Sep-98  @  09:28 AM   -   RE: Yamaha TX81Z

Sedusa

And my name fits cuz I'm just so sad....... Hehe.. Check it out at http://www.fortunecity.com/tinpan/kurtwood/283/futility_alpha.htm Most of my links are broken, cuz my old server kicked me off, but you get to see my face with an SH 2 transposed over it!

Message 72/82             04-Sep-98  @  05:15 AM   -   RE: Yamaha TX81Z

buggo

Actually monsieur bill de plig, it's a Kawai sequencer...a friend suggested it when i was checking it (the q80) out in a shop in LA and thought i should have a name other than my real one...!!

but monsieur bill de plig sounds nice too.

Message 73/82             04-Sep-98  @  05:18 AM   -   RE: Yamaha TX81Z

buggo

oh, one other thing...

all that info was transferred from my other page at www.thegrid.net/jctlo/andrew/music.html . It was a page meant to promote my web design endeavors but had a music section on it...i think there may be a few more songs there...

also, i hate to put in a plug for me own band, but that "neutral dub" song is pretty cool; our guitarboy came over one night and everyone was asleep so we couldn't play loud music...much tho he hates techno i coerced him into doing a song with synthetic drums and some synth parts. one of our better attempts i think, especially because no one tried to sing!!

Message 74/82             04-Sep-98  @  09:24 AM   -   RE: Yamaha TX81Z

bill

i quite like monsieur bill de plig too, maybe i'll have to use it on some pompous euro-remix i do at some point....heh....anyway - you're in a guitar band as well as doing the synth stuff? i know the feeling about guitarists refusing to work with it - my brother's a guitarist and he fucking hates it - weird thing is, he loves bands that use guitars and synths/samples more than he likes straight rock stuff.....

sedusa - i checked out your page ages ago because i wanted to see an sh-2 on your face. now i'll go and do it again. wouldn't you rather have something else sat there?

Message 75/82             04-Sep-98  @  09:51 AM   -   RE: Yamaha TX81Z

Richie

That's pretty good buggo, looks like you could have a convert. I used to be in a band many moons ago. At one stage it looked as if we were going to make some money out of it as well. But as these things happen, I lost the way and went from grunge to writing my own stuff almost overnight. The rest of the band carried on with a new singer/rythm guitarist but the interest in the band died (thanks NME you cunts / especially Steve Lamack ). But now they are mostly into dance and are all doing they're own thing... Funny how things turn out, I used to hate dance music as well.

Have you sorted your MP3's yet? I too cannot get Real Audio but would like to hear your stuff...

Ho hum- looks like I'll have to get the net at home but I'm on cable and the server around here is shit.

Message 76/82             04-Sep-98  @  05:41 PM   -   RE: Yamaha TX81Z

weasel

Influx, thanks for the esi32 tip... MakeNoyz is a little
expensive though (wants $850, what with the S2000
at $699...) but thanks anyway

Message 77/82             05-Sep-98  @  01:46 AM   -   RE: Yamaha TX81Z

buggo

yeah, actually ALL my songs are in MP3 format. (i only have 1.7 gigs so i can't keep the .wav files around...I do keep the individual loops and samples on zip disks tho because i can surruptitiously (?) order them from my dad's office and he doesn't realize he's paying for 'em!)

So the only copies of my songs that i have are mp3s, and they damn well better be in order!!

And about my band...ehh, I'm not sure it's going anywhere. our guitarist is an asshole 90% of the time (but he's really good) and our bass player is constantly stoned (yes, there's such thing as too much of a good thing!)

I'll upload a few of my better mp3's to the site if that would be cool, but I'm not sure how much space I'm allowed...5 or 10 megs I think...

also on the subject of bands: I used to fucking loathe dane music, and for the most part I still do, but (i hate to say it!) what really got me interested was the first time i heard "setting sun" on the radio...ever since I have loved big beats and writing my own shit.

also, I GOT A GIG! I'm going to play at a big fucking house party a friend is having; i'm going to be doing about half DJing, half original stuff, and lots of remixes...I'm working on a lot of old school funk-type stuff (parliament, etc, plus some old hip hop and whatnot). I'm slowly discovering why 4 on the floor is fo popular in clubs...I hate it when I'm actually LISTENING to songs, but I love to layer a subtle timestretched (lower) 909 bass drum and maybe a hard breakbeat over a track as it plays...it's real easy to do live and people dig it...my kit's going to consist of my juno, a tx81z, Q80, 1604, 2 discmans (don't laugh!) and some kind of sampler that i will get between now and then...any tips on live shows people?

Message 78/82             05-Sep-98  @  02:43 AM   -   RE: Yamaha TX81Z

xoxos

congrats on the gig.. ever hear meat beat manifesto's 'storm the studio??'

xoxos.

get there early...

Message 79/82             05-Sep-98  @  08:03 AM   -   RE: Yamaha TX81Z

Sedusa

Cuz that "Thump" makes all the girls shake their asses... Hehe, Really tho, when you're high it's pretty easy to lose yourself in the beat when it's all about "BUMP BUMP BUMP"

Message 80/82             05-Sep-98  @  05:59 PM   -   RE: Yamaha TX81Z

buggo

yeah i know...but when I'm stoned I still prefer reggae!

must be that's why E is the drug of choice at raves. curious thing.

Message 81/82             05-Sep-98  @  08:05 PM   -   RE: Yamaha TX81Z

rouge

E's fry the brain. Beware!

Message 82/82             06-Sep-98  @  07:28 PM   -   RE: Yamaha TX81Z

kilo

yeah buggo mate.... get the sampler set up with a bunch of loops that all work with the original tempo 4 on the floor kik.... map them on one keymap, and set up the master keyboard with a strip of masking tape along the keys with the loops names on 'em.... then you can have the 909 thumpin away, and bring stuff in and out, and also manually play loops over the top as & when you choose makes nice spontaneous stuff..... blend that with the mixer for drop outs etc.....

Viewing all 82 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 9

There are 82 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)