aaa Help - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

05-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Help

Viewing all 87 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 9

Original Message 1/87             29-Dec-03  @  06:02 PM   -   Help

L.Dudley

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Ok I have a problem. I'm using cubase vst and trying to record audio files. I play the cd that i want to record and it has some huge echo that gets bigger and ruins the sonmg. This is also apparent when the metronome is clicking and when any other noise plays whilst cubase is open. All I wanna do is record, is there anything I can do to stop this loud babble??? Please help meeeeee

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/87             29-Dec-03  @  06:13 PM   -   RE: Help

BluStudio

Link?: Link

sounds like 'feedback' mate

make sure you mute the channel you are recording into so it doesn't create a feedback play/rec loop which causes the noise.

more info available here- do search up top box on left

blu

Message 3/87             29-Dec-03  @  07:06 PM   -   RE: Help

milan

yup yup... sounds like feedback. do what he said.

Message 4/87             29-Dec-03  @  07:38 PM   -   RE: Help

the_dr38

Now I am not getting any sound at all, just a pure straight line and no sound. I've been messing around with cubase and ended up re-installing it. Now every time i start it it's saying that the sample rate doesn't match and can't be changed due to the external clock or something. I've been reading up and some sights recommend certain settings to use and changes to make. Are there any of these that I should be aware of as I am running vst 5.0 32 r4 on windows xp and some people say that it doesn't work well. Are there any changes I should make so that my pc records the audio, I have designated a place for the audio files to record into but when recording from a cd it won't now pick up the sound and there is a straight line (2 when in stereo) and no playback, just silence. Thanks again

Message 5/87             29-Dec-03  @  07:45 PM   -   RE: Help

milan

recording from a cd? what are you on about?? are you recording the output of your soundcard or what? you're gonna have to be a little more specific mate.

Message 6/87             29-Dec-03  @  07:49 PM   -   RE: Help

the_dr38

Earlier I was trying to record my PC's cd drive into cubase and it started to work but now Im getting nothing recorded apart from 2 straight lines in the part where there would normally be audio waves. It suddenly stopped working. It must be something simple.

Message 7/87             29-Dec-03  @  07:53 PM   -   RE: Help

brad

File?:  [image]

[image file]

well, it's simple to get audio off that CD, yes. You need a ripper. Most cdrom
drives come with their own nowadays, or you can download plenty of free ones.
You don't need to analog record audio off a CD...just rip it, digitally.

You can also open CD tracks as audio w/ Wavelab too. That's how I do it.

Message 8/87             29-Dec-03  @  07:59 PM   -   RE: Help

the_dr38

But what is the procedure for just recording the audio straight into cubase? I must be doing something wrong. I'm sure I used to record it straight in at school by literally pressing play on the cubase cd player and record on the 1st audio channel or 1+2 for stereo, or something along those lines.

Message 9/87             29-Dec-03  @  08:27 PM   -   RE: Help

the_dr38

Any ideas??? And now when i record it plays back all out of time aarghhhhhhh I think I might just launch my PC out fo the window. I wanna record audio so badly

Message 10/87             29-Dec-03  @  09:54 PM     Edit: 29-Dec-03  |  09:56 PM   -   RE: Help

psylichon

If you're recording from a built-in soundcard or a soundblaster-type card, you need to select your input for recording because it actually has several inputs you can choose from (mic, line, CD, possibly TV, modem, digital, etc.). You need to go into the windows mixer for the card (the one that pops up when you double click the little speaker icon in the system tray). Go to Options - Properties. Select to "Adjust Volume for:" recording. Then make sure all inputs are selected. When you hit ok, your mixer will be the "record mixer" where you can now select which input you want to record from. If you want to record from the CD-ROM of your computer, you would normally select "CD".

Now... I say normally because most computers nowadays don't even have an audio cable connecting their CD- or DVD-ROM drive internally to their soundcard. Most manufacturers consider it unnecessary when Windows XP's media player basically "rips" digital audio on the fly via IDE for playback and then outputs it via software. If this is the case for you, then selecting "CD" will have no effect. I recommend you examine some of those "ripping" programs for this purpose. I highly endorse AudioCatalyst. This method really is the fastest and most sonically appropriate way of importing CD audio to a DAW.

I have a feeling your soundcard mixer was set for "output" or "what u hear" as the recording source, which would be why you were getting feedback . You probably have software input monitoring enabled in Cubase, so it was playing back what was being recorded, which was what was being played, which was what was being recorded, etc. etc. etc. Make sense?

Message 11/87             29-Dec-03  @  10:19 PM   -   RE: Help

the_dr38

Oh my god. I have been searching for that kind of answer for about a week. Thank you whoever posted that you are god!!!

Message 12/87             29-Dec-03  @  10:31 PM   -   RE: Help

the_dr38

Ok call me a dickhead but I still can't do it. I have a soundblaster audigy zs soundcard and when I click on the icon in the system tray in windows it comes up with a load of levels for the soundcard. Above the cd volume is a drop down menu that reads 'auxiliary', 'TAD-in' and 'microphone'. I can't seem to make any difference from here although I have tried changing some of the things. Do u mean that I need to adjust something in Cubase to make the cd the inputted device for recording. Do I have to have the cd playing with the cubase cd player to record when i get it working? Lastly do you know how I can get the time clock to match as it is unable to change it when I start. truly grateful as ever L.Dudley

Message 13/87             29-Dec-03  @  10:49 PM   -   RE: Help

psylichon

Sounds like Creative Labs (or whoever makes Soundblasters anymore) uses a proprietary mixer interface, in which case you'll have to read help files or something to see how that works for selecting recording input. Or you might try going to control panel, 'sounds and audio devices', and under "device volume" select advanced. That should maybe bring up the Windows standard soundcard mixer which will then look like what I described.

Message 14/87             29-Dec-03  @  10:50 PM   -   RE: Help

psylichon

and i dont' know what you mean by "time clock"

Message 15/87             29-Dec-03  @  10:52 PM   -   RE: Help

mcc>

*****Ok call me a dickhead but I still can't do it.____

well psy......it was nice to be god for a moment at least, EH?

and i thought i was being helpful answering the guy's question in the cubase forum!
okay...i'll say it: dickhead.

but seriously man....just turn your audio into wav.
it's like why go up and down the hill to get water when you got some right there in your tap?

Message 16/87             29-Dec-03  @  10:56 PM   -   RE: Help

psylichon

yeah use a ripper, dude. why kill yerself?

Message 17/87             30-Dec-03  @  12:19 AM   -   RE: Help

the_dr38

True. I'll just use a ripper, can u remind me of the name of a good one to get please? P.S I have just taken 2 hours to re-assemble my pc after I lobbed it out of the window lol..................

Message 18/87             30-Dec-03  @  03:47 AM   -   RE: Help

the_dr38

Which ripper shall I DL?? Do I really need a ripper, connsidering that my cd ROM drive recorded straight into Cubase vst earlier? I osition mysefl to this pint (come on dude there e is a simple explanaion to making me successful at recording audio direct from a cd and u know it/ the_dr38@hotmail.com make it known PLEASE xxx

Message 19/87             30-Dec-03  @  05:25 AM   -   RE: Help

mcc>

a place called shareware music machine has tons of free and cheap rippers...plus other good stuff you might use.
see if you can't find the one psy suggested above....audio catalyst.
don't you take notes when people take time out to provide you advice?

you can figure out cubase right after you get past kindygarten and learn to rip a file from cd.
cubase will accept wave or aiff.

hate to be mean....but it's...yeah...monday.

Message 20/87             30-Dec-03  @  06:29 AM   -   RE: Help

psylichon

Look... recording audio "direct from CD" as you are trying to do is actually not going to sound as good as using a ripping program. Yes, there are ways you could get around your problems (the first of which would be to read some help files for the hardware/software you use), but why go through the trouble to get mediocre results?

Recording the CD in the manner you describe would result in a conversion from digital to analog and back to digital, something which is to be avoided if possible. Ripping would keep your audio in the digital domain. Forgive me if this is something you are aware of, but your insistence on using this method is puzzling to say the least.

Message 21/87             30-Dec-03  @  01:44 PM   -   RE: Help

the_dr38

So I've downloaded a converter called 'Easy mp3' which rips the files straight to wav. I did about 6 or 7 and wrote them to a blank cd and then loaded them onto my PC (not the one Im currently on). Now I dont know how to get them into Cubase. I go to import and it doesnt show the files.

Message 22/87             30-Dec-03  @  02:00 PM   -   RE: Help

milan

i think i hear the sound of water running in the background... is someone taking the piss?

Message 23/87             30-Dec-03  @  04:15 PM   -   RE: Help

mcc>

put your wav. files where you can SEE them. in an open window or your desktop.
open cubase to your track view. select a track for your file and make sure it's selected for audio> and not midi.
now drag your wav. file onto that track.

you'll need to establish tempo for things to line up and make sure the beginning of your track is truncated (chopped) at a zero start point.
good luck.

some of us spent a good portion of our lives to learn this stuff.
it can take serious effort just to learn how to accurately match an audio's tempo to a sequencer metronome. but you're on your own there.

get cubase power> if you don't have a manual. it'll be the best 20 you can spend AND
it'll change your life.

Message 24/87             30-Dec-03  @  06:30 PM   -   RE: Help

the_dr38

Cheers man. Loaded the wav. files onto my pc and they seem to be mp3 again which means that it won't let me drag the file onto the track. Is there any other way to do it?

Message 25/87             30-Dec-03  @  07:18 PM   -   RE: Help

psylichon

you need to specify in your audio ripping program that you want to rip to WAV file, and not to MP3.... this should be in the settings somewhere.

Message 26/87             30-Dec-03  @  08:07 PM   -   RE: Help

k

you want to get a programme that converts .cda audio files to .wav (NOT mp3 wavs)

sometimes mp3's get saved with a .wav extention, but they are actualy encoded compressed .mp3 files... an mp3 compressed encoded file can have EITHER a .mp3 OR .wav extention.

i dunno about a programme that can do this for free, cos like many I use a pro editor s/w which can do this as one of it's functions.

Oh wait... mebbe this will do it

go to FILES section, and do a name-search for 'cool'

you'll see the old cool-edit programme in the results - This is the old demo from like 5 years ago.

the thing about this old demo (mebbe the current one STILL does this, you'd best check with cool-edit site), but the OLD demo allowed the user to use the s/w with reduced functionality.

when you open the demo it asks you to choose TWO functions which you can use for that session (that time the programem is open before closing it and re-starting the programme again).

so, you choose SAVE as one of the functions you can use... you have to choose SAVE as one function so you can save what you do.

this demo therefore allows you to choose SAVE and ONE other function which might be for example time-stretch or a filter or whatever - allowing you to do ONE thing and save it.

so try it - see if it will allow you to open a .cda CD-Audio file from the cd, and then SAVE it as a pcm uncompressed wav file.

you also need to check what sample rate your SB card is using... some SB cards only work at 48k... if yours is fixed at 48k thent he audio you save from the ripped CD audio track should be saved at 48k.

try that anyways... the cool-edit demo is only 1.5 mb - small to d/load.

Message 27/87             30-Dec-03  @  08:43 PM   -   RE: Help

Influx

holy fucking shit where is darwin when you need him

Message 28/87             30-Dec-03  @  09:55 PM   -   RE: Help

sox

Link?:  Link

Someone must be taking the piss because VST will open .mp3's.....It converts them to wav itself.

File/Import/MP3, asks where you want to save the new file.....

lol@Darwin.....

sox

Message 29/87             30-Dec-03  @  11:26 PM   -   RE: Help

digital rust

for the love of god. rtfm.

Message 30/87             31-Dec-03  @  12:36 AM   -   RE: Help

cydonia cell

either taking the piss...

or new with cracked software!

sigh

e

Message 31/87             31-Dec-03  @  01:12 AM   -   RE: Help

the_dr38

Seriously I'm not taking the piss, all I want is advice. It seems so logical when u explain but when trying to do it on Cubase everything is different. When we were at school, I distinctly remember playing the cd straight into cubase vst as u said before. I know that I can do this as I somehow managed it the other day but with a lot of distortion. There must be a simple reason. I go to import and it gives me these options 'audio file', 'recycle file', 'midi file', 'mixman file', 'cubase 3.x grooves'. When trying all of them nothing happens. When i click on audio cd the files (songs) aren't even there. I'm gonna smash this up. Do you think it's bcos the disc's cracked then?

Message 32/87             31-Dec-03  @  02:09 AM   -   RE: Help

the_dr38

I think I'm getting closer. I go into options and then audio setup - then to system. In ASIO device there are 5 things which are ASIO DirectX full duplex driver, ASIO media driver, creative ASIO, sb audigy 2 zs ASIO 24/96, and sb audigy 2 zs ASIO [1000]. When selecting the first 2, I can record audio from the cubase cd player however I get the feedback problem (even when just silent, the speakers fuzz and get louder until they crackle) This doesn't stop until i quit cubase or minimise it. I am in the midst of downloading a cd ripper and think that it'll be easier just to open ripped files in Cubase. The only drawback to this is that u can only rip the 1st 5 songs on an album until u pay for it. Don't really fancy doin that to be honest.

Message 33/87             31-Dec-03  @  04:00 AM   -   RE: Help

mcc>

at first i wanted to say go kid.....keep digging deeper but NOW quite honestly dick....you who ain't even ready to pay for even the cheapestshit and
wanna be mr rocktechnodream whatever.....and still come here & believe our time ain't nothing to you/.....go fuk yerself....and leave us alone.

no seriously kid....do us ALL a favor.

Message 34/87             31-Dec-03  @  04:03 AM   -   RE: Help

mcc>

ooooHHHH!!!!!!>>>>.
I am in the midst of downloading a cd ripper and think that it'll be easier just to open ripped files in Cubase.

dork. what have we been saying?

now go home and make KILL tracks.

Message 35/87             31-Dec-03  @  11:11 AM   -   RE: Help

the_dr38

Er....... Why the hell are you saying that? What have I done to you? Someone recommended this site and you started off being helpful. Thanks a lot!

Message 36/87             31-Dec-03  @  11:13 AM   -   RE: Help

the_dr38

I can't believe you!

Message 37/87             31-Dec-03  @  02:03 PM   -   RE: Help

psylichon

Don't mind mcc, dr.... he gets a little hype after a few lagers. But really, I think we gave you enough information here that, along with some reading of help files, you can solve this problem on your own now.

Message 38/87             31-Dec-03  @  02:06 PM   -   RE: Help

the_dr38

Okay thanks I will try. It's just that I started from scratch.

Message 39/87             31-Dec-03  @  04:51 PM   -   RE: Help

mcc>

starting with a cracked v. of cubase is scratchy indeed BUT seriously...
it requires zero lagers to find intolerable those who can't even begin to help themselves....and yet will help themselves to other people's time and energy and still barely take notes.
plus...you can't nevermind me because my point is way too valid.
tought that.

teach me how to play this note. where's this note?
okay now g?

now diminished. now seventh.
now this. now that.

at some point here's a bicycle.
only you can ride the thing so hop on it and start peddling.
a question here and there is fine but....perhaps venturing some discovery on your own might make you appreciate the journey a little more rather than having some eagle scout forever holding your bike for you......doctor.

Message 40/87             31-Dec-03  @  05:35 PM   -   RE: Help

mcc>

doctor kid....i'll tell you what.
since you think i'm ONLY being mean to you.....and you obviously didn't get a manual with your cracked cubase
since you and your folks are too poor.....or don't feel it's necessary to pay for stuff that you REALLY REALLY >I MEAN REALLY GUYS want to use!....
and so BADLY......

send me your address and i'll send you a copy of cubase power.
but you got to promise to take it to bed with you and try to absorb a little information
every night. all i ask is that you research first on your own before you start bothering people with your 101 daily questions.
and make 1 KILL track and upload it here at dt one day.

me e-mail address is clayev2k@cox.net.

and ya...da old man gets hyper...unlike so many dozy fux....tis true dat.

Message 41/87             31-Dec-03  @  05:49 PM   -   RE: Help

mcc>

one more thing you MUST do for me.
tell your friend he was right.
he sent you to THE PLACE in which to get help.

Message 42/87             31-Dec-03  @  06:14 PM   -   RE: Help

xoxos

one thing to practice before working with any computer music sequencer is sitting sort of still for longish periods of time.

Message 43/87             01-Jan-04  @  10:51 PM   -   RE: Help

the_dr38

LOL....... I did sit at Cubase and read the help files for ages and went onto hundreds and hundreds of websites only to prove unsuccessful before I went to this site as I did want to figure it out for myself. Afterall if you figure something out then you understand it and that's the best way to achieve results but for some reason Cubase was something that I just couldnt figure out. Thanks for offering me the copy of cubase, I think that it could possibly become my new bible. (More so than 'MIDI for the technophobe'). Thanks again

Message 44/87             02-Jan-04  @  10:58 AM   -   RE: Help

k

you have to understand... this site is full of mad people... Cubase Power is a great starter book and even the experienced can learn something from the 'Power' series of books... good stuff.

Message 45/87             02-Jan-04  @  02:39 PM   -   RE: Help

the_dr38

Cool. My e-mail address is the_dr38@hotmail.com

Message 46/87             02-Jan-04  @  04:04 PM   -   RE: Help

mcc>

read carefully.

i didn't say send me your e-mail address.

Message 47/87             02-Jan-04  @  08:28 PM   -   RE: Help

mcc>

>>>>>>onto hundreds and hundreds of websites only to prove unsuccessful before I went to this site as I did want to figure it out for myself.

hundreds and hundreds before your friend said dt?
name ten kid.
and you still had no idea what adaptec toast was? or that wav. or aiff. files are the way to import audio into practically any domain?
where'd you go.....?
i think you're a liar.

look some of us are mad here.....and the rest are dozy. with a small minority of confused or actually rational people who stand somewhere in between.
i happen to take pride in being of the former category.
and i stand in good company in that respect.
and i'm sick of liars.
i just had some guy in nashville who goes by the name pugness take me for
777 dollars without giving me a triton rack in return.
now i watched him buy a jaguar xj6 on e-bay the day my check cleared.
so yeah......people who take and give nothing in return...and you appear ready to fall into that category.

i gave you a chance to have in your possession one of the most wondrous books you could want if you were truly interested in running cubase effectively.
now if you aren't sure what a book is, you may have seen one depicted in a
movie where a kid happens upon a magical thing full of wisdom and knowledge.
well...that's a book.
but you obviously don't read much or very carefully and nor you do take effective notes when you do and i think you lie at least a little.
i was basically giving you 24 hours to respond by sending me your address and a word of thanks for me being one righteous old fuk.
but no....you want me to e-mail YOU.

funny boy.
i think your music would only be of the truly-sucks variety. false, disingenuous....
and very transparent.
the kind where some guy samples prodigy and says.....i AM the prodigy.
capiche?
so no mas....deal is off. call me a liar and please don't make attendance with stupidity a regular part of your contribution here.....
not without expecting me to say hi occasionally.

next time....be like pugness.....and go for a bigger prize.

3 sevens....you could be lucky too.

okay now servants...please do help this nice lad.
he's been to hundreds and hundreds of sites and .......

Message 48/87             03-Jan-04  @  12:14 AM   -   RE: Help

the_dr38

Say what you will and I will only assure you that I am truly sorry about your loss of $777. The reason I was giving you my e-mail address was bcos I am not as stupid (as u may, so boldly, beg to differ) as you may think or like to try and publicly highlight, and therefore do not want everyone to know my personal address. Is this not thus showing a degree of trust from me to you? Well of course not, it's merely giving you false to hope to try and, extremely pretentiously I might add, talk somebody under the table that hasn't even really been talking back. I really don't like to argue or cause any disturbance for that matter, much contrary to yourself my 'friend'.

As you'd say 'OOOHHH NOOO the deal is off'

Oh I'm a "liar". I'm sorry but I never intended to lie in the eyes of your ever-so righteous self, is it against the law to exagerate or just against the law of this forum. Or maybe it's one of your laws. Besides I would rather be the sort of person that exagerates than the type of person to abuse a new comer to a general place of help no matter how much they annoyed me. If you couldn't help then that's fair enough. All you had to do was admit it.

Stupid comments aside, you're obviously very angry about something and taking it out on me. I can use Cubase as well as I need apart from the fact that I am having trouble (yes even after EVERYTHING I have followed from this site) loading .wav files. If it's gratitude you want then seriously I am grateful for all of the things that genuine people have genuinely said to me (and always have been), and even a couple of things that you've said. But you've made me feel that this is not a friendly place which contradicts what a lot of other people have been saying and also the responses that I've got from all of the other members. I'm sure you couldn't give a monkeys but I think I should get outta here. After all you've made that clear enough

Cheers anyway guys but you need to sort your friend out. I'd rather learn the hard way.

Message 49/87             03-Jan-04  @  12:19 AM   -   RE: Help

the_dr38

BTW..... I really didn't want this to happen as it seem as though somewhere, I'm not actually sure where, you're alright! hey ho

Message 50/87             03-Jan-04  @  12:21 AM   -   RE: Help

the_dr38

PPS Si io capiche perche io parla molto italiano, e tu?

Message 51/87             03-Jan-04  @  12:26 AM   -   RE: Help

influx

bro

he gave you HIS email so you could email him your address. he really woulda sent you that book.

Ive kept my mouth shut for the most part but this has been painfully difficult to watch.

let me clarify one thing though. you dont need to RECORD a cd into cubase. You should be able to use a CD ripper program to digitally copy the audio file into a .wav or .aiff, or any other format, andt hen IMPORT that file into cubase.

but...still not sure why the fck you want to do it?

Message 52/87             03-Jan-04  @  01:12 AM   -   RE: Help

mcc>

kid...e-mail me if you want MY cubase power~ book.
which you should if you really want to make music.

otherwise...we stand before thee.

doh rei mi....

Message 53/87             03-Jan-04  @  01:21 AM   -   RE: Help

influx

hey clay...in my experience its the older guys that have such troubles. You know...tech is just...too new for them

so...calling the guy kid...is just probably inaccurate, ya know?

I see where the frustration comes from but all the gnashing and snapping isnt gonna cure anything

Message 54/87             03-Jan-04  @  01:32 AM   -   RE: Help

mcc>

influx.....dr 38 ain't an older guy.

but you know what?...in spite of some troubles you and i have known...not only are you a sag...but scotch-irish......

you're okay bud.

and you don't smoke crack.

Message 55/87             03-Jan-04  @  02:17 AM   -   RE: Help

influx

scot-irish

scotch is alcohol

;)

Message 56/87             03-Jan-04  @  02:32 AM   -   RE: Help

mcc>

well....yer jus gonna have to kick me ass one day lad.

Message 57/87             03-Jan-04  @  04:29 AM   -   RE: Help

damballah

hey, why crack on old guys 'cuz of that dimwit?

Message 58/87             03-Jan-04  @  04:48 AM   -   RE: Help

mcc>

if it ain't the calvary!

Message 59/87             03-Jan-04  @  04:54 AM   -   RE: Help

damballah

Message 60/87             03-Jan-04  @  12:16 PM   -   RE: Help

k

for gods sake, lets try to be positive eh

and doesnt SX import from cd anyways? - but you're not using SX are you dr38?

Message 61/87             03-Jan-04  @  03:22 PM   -   RE: Help

the_dr38

No I'm using vst. The only reason I have been trying to import from cd direct is because I remember doing it at school when I was there. Anyway I downloaded a ripper and converted the files into wav no problem. I then needed to burn them to a cd in order to put onto the correct pc. Again this is no problem but when trying to locate them with cubase they aren't there. It's like they change straight back into mp3 as soon as I reload them on my pc. Again, probably something simple but still beats me. Probably just requires some messin about.

Message 62/87             03-Jan-04  @  04:56 PM   -   RE: Help

mcc>

much in the manner that you converted your wav to mp3....you can reverse that process. but you'll need a sound-file type converter and it has to be on your pc which contains cubase.
what converter you'd use for pc i dunno. but again> shareware music machine has loads of encoders and file-type conversion programs....some for free even.

Message 63/87             03-Jan-04  @  07:38 PM   -   RE: Help

the_dr38

Cool, cheers mate. Only problem is that I have to burn the ripper to a cd as my cubase PC doesn't have the internet. No luck with this so far but Im gonna keep trying. I'll go to Shareware now

Message 64/87             03-Jan-04  @  09:26 PM   -   RE: Help

influx

k...people tried VERY hard to be positive.

honestly...seems like we got another PC jinx here

no offense dr...but...youre doing something wrong. pure and simple. there is no reason why a .wav file would "turn into" an .mp3

my guess is when youre burning the cd from one computer to the next youre burning an AUDIO cd

you need to burn a DATA cd, and THEN copy that file to your hard drive on your music box (you can do this by RIGHT click and drag and drop. youll be prompted...tell it to "copy")

THEN you direct cubase to that file

still trying to figure out what it is youre trying to do

Message 65/87             03-Jan-04  @  09:59 PM   -   RE: Help

the_dr38

LOL.....I know it seems like you're banging your heads against a brick wall but I really do appreciate the help all the same. Once I sort it out Im sure it'll be fine and I wont have any problems (doubtful lol). But seriously I am grateful

Message 66/87             03-Jan-04  @  11:24 PM   -   RE: Help

milan

dude... i think YOU need to spend more time thinking about your problem and not come back here every five minutes after each unsuccessful 'try'. people can only guess at your problem and give you tips but only YOU can figure it out and sort it out.

Message 67/87             03-Jan-04  @  11:34 PM   -   RE: Help

mcc>

haha.....as long as you stick around here and wanna make music...you're always gonna have troubles.....~
..i.e.
establishing tempo, implementing chord changes...program change....
a/d conversion, windows 95 vs xp compatibility.....what color is best for speaker cable...etc.

but you're showing some heart there dr>.
that's probably the most important ingredient of all.

Message 68/87             04-Jan-04  @  01:00 AM   -   RE: Help

k

takes all sorts to make a.... aw... anyways.... how do you know this ripper is saving the files as .wav for real wav (pcm uncompressed stereo at 44 or 48 k)

what' the ripper u are using dr?

Message 69/87             04-Jan-04  @  09:08 PM   -   RE: Help

the_dr38

The one Im using is called easyrip. I am gonna try and DL the one that mcc suggested but every time I go to shareware.com my pc seems to crash. I must keep trying!!!!!!!! lol

Message 70/87             04-Jan-04  @  09:31 PM   -   RE: Help

influx

dude.

audiograbber. free version

LAME encoder for higher quality MP3s

go learn about it 

Message 71/87             04-Jan-04  @  10:57 PM   -   RE: Help

mcc>

don't get anything i suggest. i just suggest places to go and books to read.
i think it's psy and influx and man called k> you wanna listen to.
they know more about pcs and encoders etc than i ever will.

Message 72/87             04-Jan-04  @  11:06 PM   -   RE: Help

influx

I feel like Ive spent more mental energy trying to figure this out than I ever did on my own ventures!

Message 73/87             05-Jan-04  @  12:34 AM   -   RE: Help

the_dr38

"LADIES AND GENTLEMEN BOYS AND GIRLS" I would just like to take this opportunity to announce something rather important. Yes it's the moment we've all been waiting for. I have just managed to play audio on Cubase. And can I also just take this opportunity to tell you that realising just how easy it was and (for the first time) looking back through all "72" posts that you've sent me (and stuck with me through), I feel like a complete nobend for ever thinking "NO I CAN DO THIS MY OWN (IMPOSSIBLE/UNNECESSARY) WAY. Christ is it easy? All I have done is burn it onto a cd-rw and it seems to have completely done the trick. Thank you thank you thank you and thanks again. Seriously! From now on if I have a problem I think I'll just do what u say no questions lol. SO simple

Message 74/87             05-Jan-04  @  02:15 AM   -   RE: Help

psylichon

hehehe, hate to burst your bubble, but I doubt using a CD-RW was the real solution to your problem, rather a coincidence. But no matter. Congratulations on your success, and may the next question be answered in.... oh, let's keep it to under a couple dozen posts, innit?

Message 75/87             05-Jan-04  @  03:53 AM   -   RE: Help

mcc>

influx...hold him.

>>>>

well finally!.....good for you doctor.

now go have fun and forget you ever met us>
just kidding.
next lesson: matching tempo-to-audio.
did i say that?

Message 76/87             05-Jan-04  @  09:58 AM   -   RE: Help

milan

hehe... well glad you guys sorted it out  

Message 77/87             05-Jan-04  @  11:25 AM   -   RE: Help

the_dr38

I think I'll learn some of the next stuff by reading former posts, he he

Message 78/87             05-Jan-04  @  11:58 AM   -   RE: Help

Broken Silence

forum search is your best friend, matey

Message 79/87             05-Jan-04  @  12:06 PM   -   RE: Help

milan

apsolutely!

Message 80/87             12-Jan-04  @  02:56 PM   -   RE: Help

the_dr38

Okay is there a quicker way to get two audio tracks in time other and the midi metronome than chopping the song at the first beat and dragging to it the 1st bar. I can never seem to get them in time. I tried time stretching to get the two tracks in time with eachother but this doesnt seem to work. If anyone could recommend any posts I would be grateful as I couldtn find any myself.

Message 81/87             12-Jan-04  @  04:24 PM   -   RE: Help

BluStudio

theres a program called 'acid' that does that kinda thing- you can tell it what tempo you want and drag a big file in which takes yopu thru a step wizard thing, beat finder i think it is- anyway works 9 times outa 10 for simple quick stuff. you could put them, in that then export the audio files for importing into cubase.

its a few hundred i think still- but prolly do what your asking, an audio editor would be handy too to trim the loops/cut ends starts etc...

blu

Message 82/87             12-Jan-04  @  04:29 PM     Edit: 12-Jan-04  |  04:30 PM   -   RE: Help

k

there's an article in the ARTICLES section about setting tempo in VST to a loop - ARTICLES section

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 83/87             12-Jan-04  @  04:30 PM   -   RE: Help

k

VST AUDIO-LOOP STARTER is the name of the article

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 84/87             12-Jan-04  @  05:23 PM   -   RE: Help

mcc>

and what did i say the next lesson would be?

if you can't afford another program like acid etc .......or can't find a cracked one....
you have to open your arrange edit screen so you can see the wave as largely as possible.
now go to what you imagine to be about 2 or 4 bars....or even 1.
that's where you see the peaks and dips in your signal for only that short distance.
put cubase into loop mode for that amount of bars. have your sample chopped at zero-point play and have it start at beat 1.
now play the track and learn to recognize what makes up kicks and what makes up snares in your song....then keep shifting tempo til your beat
starts looping close to what you remember it.
now this might take you a hundred years and/or even setting tempo into the hundredths-of-a-beat-per-minute but it WILL be worth it. : )
relax and enjoy the process.

Message 85/87             12-Jan-04  @  06:18 PM   -   RE: Help

the_dr38

LOL cheers. Thats kinda what I've been doin but I think Im just crap at it. I shall keep practising. That program sounds cool but like u say, it costs. Maybe an investment for the future. I think my problem may be practise... Shall look at the article

Message 86/87             12-Jan-04  @  06:28 PM   -   RE: Help

k

the article shows how to set the tempo from one loop - after that tho, to syncronise a SECOND loop to match the first one, you'll need to apply time-stretch

But it's important to make sure you follow the bar-length rule

if the loop you used to set the tempo was 1 bar long, and the second loop you want to match is 2 bars long, you have to take account of that

time-stretch in VST is pants tho frankly if I remember right - ACID would be easier for sure. You can export from ACID into Cubase and the loops will all be matched to the tempo you set in ACID

mind you, in the old days (sets pipe down and strokes hound-dawg affectionately)... before time-stretch... we'd just increase or decrease the PITCH of a sample loop which would slow it down or speed it up - drums dont suffer so much from doing that because they arent 'tuned' to a key like a conventional instrument or vocal - the drums do go up or down in pitch, but for loops which are fairly close in tempo it works fine.

Message 87/87             12-Jan-04  @  10:07 PM   -   RE: Help

the_dr38

Yes this was the problem I had when using the Akai S3000 before I realised that it had a time stretch facility on it of course. As for Cubase I've been spending a bit of time finding out the tempo by just keep altering it time after time until it sets properley. Then I do the same for the other song and just increase/decrease the tempo by the difference between the two. Doesn't make much sense I know but it seems to work. Is there any place where u can download that 'Acid' programme for free? Apparently there are some free ones but no-one could remember what they were called. lol. I'm getting a copy of Logic and reason 2m, anyone know if they're any good?

Viewing all 87 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 9

There are 87 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)