aaa Please help me with my setup - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

09-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Please help me with my setup

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/9             11-Oct-98  @  08:25 PM   -   Please help me with my setup

destroy2k

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Hi I need some advice on my sound setup.
I have an MPC2000, CS1X, Drumstation, and a computer with a DMAN 2044 sound card (4in 4out)
I use my computer both as a sound generator and a HD recorder.
I have my equipment (including my computer) hooked up to a Mackie Mixer, the outputs of which go into an Amp, then into my monitors. The problem is that I have my computer going into my mixer, then my mixer also goes into my computer so that I can record tracks. I need to be able to here what my computer plays while recording something onto it via my other equipment. The problem is that in order to here what the computer plays, its the sounds goes back into the computer inputs b/c they are all connected to the mixer. How can I solve this. I was thinking about maybe hooking up my computer outputs directly to the amp, and the mixer to the computer, but then I would run into the problem of not being able to mix down the computer tracks (add effects, ect.) ANY IDEAS?

Thanx,
-D2k

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/9             11-Oct-98  @  09:13 PM   -   RE: Please help me with my setup

buggo

i had the same fix...what you do is run the signal from the mixer back to the computer via an aux send, and not the main or tape out. if you do this, you can have a level control for each item going into the monitors (the main fader for that track) and the computer recorder (the aux knob.)

so when i'm overdubbing a synth loop by hand into the computer, i play the output of the computer back thru my monitors but i turn the computer's aux sends down (off) so it doesn't send stuff back to itself, but it still feeds the monitors. if you want to feed to the computer in stereo, use one aux for left and use it for all your left channels, and the same thing for the right.

what mixer do you have? this setup is going to be tough with the 1404 or 1202...only 2 aux sends i believe? if you've got the 1604 (what i've got) or bigger then you're set.

Message 3/9             11-Oct-98  @  11:30 PM   -   RE: Please help me with my setup

weasel

You can also use the ALT3-4 output on a Mackie. Basically, any channel you mute will be sent out of this output. I use this all the time for sampling....ie the sampler input is hooked up to ALT3-4, and the sampler output goes back to the mixer. In this way, I just mute the mixer input of the synth I want to sample, and it goes to the sampler...

Message 4/9             12-Oct-98  @  12:16 AM   -   RE: Please help me with my setup

buggo

excellent idea...i gotta do that!

Message 5/9             12-Oct-98  @  05:06 AM   -   RE: Please help me with my setup

destroy2k

I have the MACKIE 1402 VLZ

using the AUX 3/4 is a GR8 idea, but can it be done so I can still hook up FX to the sound using a rack hooked up to aux 1 or 2.

Thanx,
D2k

Message 6/9             12-Oct-98  @  09:54 AM   -   RE: Please help me with my setup

Message 7/9             12-Oct-98  @  06:03 PM   -   RE: Please help me with my setup

buggo

i've sort of got the same problem as this guy...you can't use any of the aux sends as feeds to your tape or computer if you want to use the other aux sends for FX...they're all independent so it doesn't feed the wet signal back thru the other aux outs...I found this out after playing the best keyboard solo in the history of the world with a super-wet FX setting and having it come into the computer dry...terrible...*sniff*

Message 8/9             12-Oct-98  @  06:44 PM   -   RE: Please help me with my setup

astroman

Im not sure if I understand your question.. but from the way I read it it sounds like your having problems with feedback in your recordings because the output of you computer gets fed back into its inputs which in turns gets fed back out the outputs. This is the way I had my computer set up for awhile and as a result I got this slight echoy ringing sounds in my recordings. The fix was simple. In your windows95 soundcard mixer (what you get when you double click on that little yellow speaker) mute the playback of your microphone and/or line in. So now your computer will still be receiving audio on you mic and line in, but it wont be playing it back at the same time. Im not sure if I answered your question or not.. but hopefully this helped.

Message 9/9             14-Oct-98  @  04:59 AM   -   RE: Please help me with my setup

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 9 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)