aaa Sigho - back to the trusty Atari - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Sigho - back to the trusty Atari

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/9             27-Jul-98  @  12:46 AM   -   Sigho - back to the trusty Atari

kilo

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

yup..... it's a pile of techno shite..... that switches on and delivers rock solid midi, with no crashes..... i'll have one please...can you gift wrap it?.......

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/9             27-Jul-98  @  12:54 PM   -   RE: Sigho - back to the trusty Atari

stephenb

My mates primitive setup consists of an Atari ST bought for a tenner, an old portable, sweet16 £25, DR T and a D10
£140.

I've never seen it crash once and although he is extremely limited kit wise, he knows how to use it and all his time is spent trying to get some nice sounds out of the D10 and more importantly having fun & laying down tracks - some of which have been quite impressive considering.

Completely out of date and even laughable that he'd even try and create dance tracks with this setup, but at least ALL of his time is spent creating rather than configuring.

How many people at this site could make such a claim?

Message 3/9             27-Jul-98  @  01:16 PM   -   RE: Sigho - back to the trusty Atari

kilo

me..... cos i use the atari,...... i WOULD like the pc & vst or similar to work tho, to do vocals & stuff..... for that I stick with the 100% trusty and reliable Cake 5..... never ever lets you down that one..... maybe you get the impression from recent talk that all the pc s/wares are shite... NOT true at all..... for multitrack, and sequencing if you pick the right app, it is as solid as you like.... BUT we are here discussing a new breed of s/w that tries to offer audio tracks WITh realtime FX & eq etc whilst addressing multiple outs.... they all do it by using Microsoft Active technology .... and that is the problem.... a proggie like sawplus old version, does not... and that is as solid as you like for multitrack... and can send audio to 8 outs NO problems.... for sequencing midi, ANY of the pre-active-x, pre- multi-out versions are reliable and rock solid ... and even offer 4 or more audio tracks... perfect for garage, swing, R&B, Rap, or anything where you need to get down limited (in terms of tracks -to- outputs) audio....although they will give 12 or 16 tracks of audio on a Pentium 166 up no probs... you just have to edit fx on to the audio other that realtime, or send stuff to only 2 outs... what a bummer huh??............ sure you can add reverb, fx etc non-realtime.... or mix the audio tracks to stereo or to panned L-R as 2 outs... mix it in on your mixer... and it works a dream.. believe me..... Cake 5 will NO PROBLEMS, add in even individual kik drums to overlay on a midi drum pattern like a sampler..... no worries...... so dont think pc's are shite... they are not... FAR FROM IT... It is just recent new developments that OBVIOUSLY will be superceded after a while, and one day they will work 100% efficiently on EVERYONES system... probably with NT5... apparently, NT5 will replace Win 95 too.. maybe that is what will change it... I dunno... but sure as hell right now, it's a minefield for the new stuff......... etc etc... blah blah

Message 4/9             27-Jul-98  @  03:23 PM   -   RE: Sigho - back to the trusty Atari

stephenb

Don't get me wrong, I don't think PC's are shite I was just agreeing with you about how reliable Ataris are.
My mates setup that I described was meant to point out two things - Ataris are reliable and having too much
software/hardware can sometimes just get in the way, too much time spent fucking about and not enough time
spent on learning how to use them properly (of which I am very guilty). But an Atari's only as good as the
hardware that you have and I get way more out of my PC setup for the money than I would buying an Atari and
sampler/keyboard etc...I just wish my Pc would be that little bit more friendly at times!

As far as software is concerned, I work in the video game industry and music software could be compared to the
current state of PC games. The spec of PC needed to run the newest games (smoothly) is bordering on the
ridiculous. These new titles are just not worth buying unless you have the newest, fastest, accelerated PC to
run them. With music s/w I think it's worth finding what works best with your setup and current shitty OS and
wait for higher machine specs to become more affordable and microsoft to catch up with the advances of VST and
the likes.

I took note of your comments on Cakewalk 5.0 a while back and have ditched VST & power hungry plug ins (for the
moment) in favour of Cakewalk. I've been using this along with soundforge, making waves, stomper, hammerhead,
Vaz, ReBirth etc....and haven't looked back since. If anything, I think I'm learning more by working on audio
non-realtime rather than relying on plugins.

I started a thread 'how to make tracks on a pc' a couple of days ago as I was interested in what programs people
were using to get round the problems faced with up to date s/w. A few people seem to be pissed off with the current
state of affairs. Maybe it's time for someone to write a music based operating system......anyone up for it?

Message 5/9             27-Jul-98  @  03:45 PM   -   RE: Sigho - back to the trusty Atari

astro

Stephen... check out my thread "new OS to check out" where I run on about this this new operating system called BeOS. This OS was built for pushing your hardware to its limits for multimedia use... including digital audio work... so it could very well be the "music based operating system" your looking for. Supposedly, a Pentium 166 running this BeOS will give similar performance to a 300mhz Pentium2 running windows 95. And it looks like there will be alot of great audio apps coming out for it soon... there's already a realtime softsynth out that looks very promising called objektsynth (www.ojektsynth.com). At any rate, I think its something we should try to support... sounds like a very cool company with some very cool aspirations... check out www.be.com for details.

Message 6/9             29-Jul-98  @  03:53 PM   -   RE: Sigho - back to the trusty Atari

helena

Atari ST - great but you need talent.
PC with full duplex soundcard and sample CD - better and
you do not need talent to create good sounding music.

Stick with the Atari if you want to keep the creative juices flowing.

Message 7/9             30-Jul-98  @  09:17 PM   -   RE: Sigho - back to the trusty Atari

Purple Haze

Concerning BeOS.
A friend of mine got the original BeBox (the machine that was custom build to run BeOS) when it was being sold to developers (it never made it to the stores), and it comes (or maybe came) standard with 4 midi interfaces fitted. He said he's gotten a bunch of audio soft for it lately. I think I should go and check it out.

Message 8/9             31-Jul-98  @  06:33 PM   -   RE: Sigho - back to the trusty Atari

David

Just wanted to tell StephenB that I use an Atari ST with
Dr.T and have a D 10 as well. I lock the Atari to my
ADAT with the Phantom smpte deal and it works great!
I've also got a sampler and a Korg module but the D 10
sounds great when you use the soft editor on it. If it
works, then use it eh?

Message 9/9             31-Jul-98  @  11:48 PM   -   RE: Sigho - back to the trusty Atari

Hilevelt

Link?:  Link

hee hee, talent vs. sampling..... ;)

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 9 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)