aaa EQ/Monitor opinions wanted! - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: EQ/Monitor opinions wanted!

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/9             30-Jul-98  @  06:53 PM   -   EQ/Monitor opinions wanted!

99devils

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I was out and about today looking at monitor speakers. I liked a set of Infinity Reference speakers, and was wondering what you all use in the way of monitors, power amps, and EQ's, since I need to buy some.

-Craig

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/9             30-Jul-98  @  07:19 PM   -   RE: EQ/Monitor opinions wanted!

kilo

well, i just use a decent hi-fi... i just want to hear it how it'll be heard by most people.. cos obviously, there is no way I can have a 3k pa in my living room !!... i use a small pair of british speakers, not to coloured... that's it... ok.. i DO have a huge pair of Richard Allen speakers, butt hey aint practical for home studio, they already got me thrown out of one housing co-op !!... and that was cos of complaints from a guy 100 yards down the road from where i lived... heh heh.... (unfortunately he was on the co-op commitee !!)

Message 3/9             30-Jul-98  @  11:21 PM   -   RE: EQ/Monitor opinions wanted!

weasel

Well, I just bought a cheap Panasonic Hifi ($200, 2x25W), and I'm having problems...All my CDs now seem to have less energy than through my old nasty cassette/CD player with built in speakers.... Seems like the subbass is there the highfreqs, and midrange too ...but in between... I don't know...something's wrong.... Makes me think getting monitors isn't such a bad move after all` Also, my CS1x sounds much softer than my CDs even with it's volume at max.... Is this usual for a synth? How can the signal be boosted cheaply?

Message 4/9             31-Jul-98  @  07:39 PM   -   RE: EQ/Monitor opinions wanted!

What kind of speakers are you using? It's possible you don't have enough power to drive them properly. Also check your speaker impedance against your hifi's settings. As for your cs1x, if you are having problems with low output (I do on my DM5 but I live with it - it's not too bad) you can buy line amplifiers to boost the signal. I don't offhand remember who makes them, but guitarists will often use them to overdrive an amplifier.

-Craig

Message 5/9             01-Aug-98  @  05:54 PM   -   RE: EQ/Monitor opinions wanted!

weasel

thanks craig, I'll have to look into those line amplifiers.... The speakers I've got came with the main unit, and after a few days I'm beginning to get used to the sound... not so bad after all... Listening through my guitar amp for the past few months had thrown my hearing off... I also just bought some headphones (AKG 240M) which have given me confidence in mixing again...It's only through these that the results seem to work on the hifi, in the car stereo, and on my cheap portable tape/CD!

Message 6/9             01-Aug-98  @  10:17 PM   -   RE: EQ/Monitor opinions wanted!

kilo

Weazle mate... are the speakers wired in phase??.... sounds like not

Message 7/9             02-Aug-98  @  10:46 AM   -   RE: EQ/Monitor opinions wanted!

Purple Haze

Well,

I use an old sony amplifier, it does the job, and monitor speakers that were once custom build for a belgian guy called 'Frank Dewulf' who used them while producing and remixing a whole bunch of stuff for R&S, so I guess they're ok.
Main thing for me is that I know more or less what sound I've got to get from them in order for it to sound good on other systems.

Message 8/9             02-Aug-98  @  11:56 PM   -   RE: EQ/Monitor opinions wanted!

weasel

No kilo, the speakers are wired OK...it's just that the XG sounds are so soft on the CS1x compared to the material and performance sounds...so that if you want to use a drum kit or XG voice on a channel, you have to drastically reduce the overall volume of everything else...

Message 9/9             02-Aug-98  @  11:58 PM   -   RE: EQ/Monitor opinions wanted!

weasel

No kilo, the speakers are wired OK...it's just that the XG sounds are so soft on the CS1x compared to the material and performance sounds...so that if you want to use a drum kit or XG voice on a channel, you have to drastically reduce the overall volume of everything else...

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 9 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)