aaa CS1x - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: CS1x

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/9             02-Aug-98  @  09:21 PM   -   CS1x

digitalaudio

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

HOW THE HECK CAN I GET 12 NICE SOUNDS WITH CAKEWALK AND A CS1X ?
I ONLY GET 5 NICE SOUNDS!! THE REST OF THE CHANNELS ARE GM OR GS OR XG WHATEVER, THIS SUXX!!!!! PLEASE HELP ME OUT!!!!!!

THANX

HARDWARE: CS1X
SOFTWARE: CAKEWALK 6.0

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/9             03-Aug-98  @  04:18 AM   -   RE: CS1x

Astroman

Get an instrument definition map for the CS1x... there are a couple floating around... but the one I have called "cs1xins.ins" has patch listings for all the preset and user material voices. The material voices, that make the performance voices, are designated by bank names "Pre01 - Pre12". Just assign these to channels 5-16 however you want and you'll get nice sounds similar to the main performance. Remember, the main performance takes up the first 4 channels, so dont try assigning anything to channels 2-4. Also, the nice performance sounds you get in performance mode usually have 4 material voices... so if you want to accurately reproduce these on channels 5-16 you need to assign each material voice to a seperate channel. But usually just one of these material voices will sound pretty good on its own. Hope this didnt just confuse you even more...

Message 3/9             03-Aug-98  @  09:04 AM   -   RE: CS1x

kilo

no... apparently there is a special way to get the layers of a performance voice to be assigned to a single channel.... cant remember who said it... try a search thru the threads for cs1x..... it can be done apparently... i also assumed as you did .... and even the distributors told me the same... but there is a button sequence to do it apparently......

Message 4/9             03-Aug-98  @  08:20 PM   -   RE: CS1x

jason.rowe

Use bank number 8068 - 8071. these are the four voices for a performance sound. Youll find the voice numbers in the CS1X data manual.

i.e

(cubase....)
CH 11
BANK 8068
PRG 1

Gives you the first layered vocies for the Perf 1 drunkit,
it works prettry well although you cant use the effects across these.

Message 5/9             03-Aug-98  @  11:52 PM   -   RE: CS1x

weasel

I think what kilo's talking about is the Rcv Channel function (in the bottom line ('utility') of the front panel matrix)...you can set ch 5-8 for example to all receive channel 5, so that MIDI signals from your sequencer on Ch5 will play through all 4 channels... if you set the 4 channels to each have one of the material voices making up a performance, then you'll come close to recreating the 'good' sound... Confused yet? We're not done.... now check to see if the original layers were transposed in the performance...look up the sysex to recreate those settings, then make sure the layers aren't note limited (covering only a region of the keyboard)... Finally, set the reverb and chorus levels (and types, which will affect the real performance on ch1), then be disappointed as you can't use a variation effect...only ch 1 can

Message 6/9             03-Aug-98  @  11:59 PM   -   RE: CS1x

weasel

I've checked out many midi files posted for the CS1x, and I've never found one that had bothered to do this... When I first got the CS1x, I really wanted a 2nd "performance" sound, but seeing it took 20sysex messages at least never bothered again.... If anyone is interested I can send them a midi file with the sysex, but I think it's just a waste of time...

Message 7/9             04-Aug-98  @  02:20 AM   -   RE: CS1x

Astroman

Yeah... this is just too much of a pain in the ass to deal with. Wouldn't you have to send all your program change messages and such before you change the receive channel? And then you wouldnt be able to change the programs once you changed the receive channel, right? Ugh... just too much of a pain if you ask me. I like my cs1x... but I dont know what they were thinking when they designed this thing.

Message 8/9             04-Aug-98  @  07:47 PM   -   RE: CS1x

MartinB

Just use your sampler instead and sample the other performances, doing the above will just stifle your creative juices.

Message 9/9             04-Aug-98  @  11:38 PM   -   RE: CS1x

weasel

yeah Astroman, I was going crazy trying to figure get the patches sent correctly.... especially as cakewalk strips out the patch change messages and sends them each time you hit play... so of course all my channels would have the exact same patch...I ended up using sysex to change the patches as they can be sent on any channel...

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 9 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)