aaa Anyone stealed a song from you ? - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Anyone stealed a song from you ?

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/9             22-Jul-98  @  01:05 AM   -   Anyone stealed a song from you ?

carles

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Just curious in the rights stuff .
I am seeing that there are many ppl in this biz you CANT trust .
I am looking for info in song rights (is it called this way in english?). I dont want to give a demo to someone and find it next month edited and signed by he/her ...
A friend of mine who is drummer is about to sign a management contract that says :
"You cant let read this contract to anybody"?!!?!?
(they are trying to change "little" things from this one)
This is a strange world.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/9             22-Jul-98  @  01:07 AM   -   RE: Anyone stealed a song from you ?

carles

The question was :
Which is the cheapest manner to ensure that nobody can steal your work ?(songs ... call it what you want)

Message 3/9             22-Jul-98  @  02:49 AM   -   RE: Anyone stealed a song from you ?

daniella

well, the simplest form of copyright...and by the way, i lernt this the hard way myself...
Simply get a tape of the tracks you are a part of..in any format. seal it, and post it to yourself!
Now leave the sealed tape in your knicker draw, and hope you never have to use it in court!
You could also print a musical score style arrangement of the track...more specifically your 'part' in it, and pay a small amount to have this officialy copyrighted by a solicitor..(it really doesn't cost much at all)..you could even get a few 'official' type people to sighn it instead, this could give some protection.

Message 4/9             22-Jul-98  @  06:16 AM   -   RE: Anyone stealed a song from you ?

Hilevelt

Link?:  Link

well, the send-it-to-yourself method of copyrighting is no longer valid in the U.S. (don't know about anywhere else) but congress simultaneously made it much easier to go through the whole process, anyway. Maybe you should just do it right, it'll be a good lesson for you any way.

Message 5/9             22-Jul-98  @  07:00 AM   -   RE: Anyone stealed a song from you ?

The Pimp

In Canada and in the UK and the EU you can post it and be fully protected. It's the cheapest way and it works. Technically to prove copyright in the previous mentioned areas you must prove that the work was composed at a date before anybody else. Lawyers signing it is another way but....just showing your work to people will also in some cases be considered grounds for copyright. Check up the laws of your nation to see specifics though, just to be safe.

arsenaul@niagara.com

Message 6/9             22-Jul-98  @  11:10 AM   -   RE: Anyone stealed a song from you ?

sir dick

Banks and deposit boxes are another way. You can get packages registered and dated by a bank and kept on site. It costs a small amount but you can use the same box storage for everything. The Lawyer way is probably the best.
Drummer signing a management deal that says don't read this contract to anyone else? Why? Is it mafia? Do the mafia need drummers? (Target practise maybe).
Seriously, watch out for "management" companies. I've had a lot of experience of 'em. A lot do you more harm than good. It's not the rip off thing, it's the fact that a lot of people become "managers" when they have been "ejected" from the music biz.
see ya

Message 7/9             22-Jul-98  @  02:25 PM   -   RE: Anyone stealed a song from you ?

kilo

ha ha.... all i can say is mate.... sign a contract with a clause in it saying you are NOT allowed to let anyone else read the contract ????....... tell your freinds to get another management company !!..... dont be that stupid !!....

Message 8/9             22-Jul-98  @  04:02 PM   -   RE: Anyone stealed a song from you ?

Edspawn

I believe there is a link to a Copyright Website, US rules I think. I haven't checked it out myself yet but it could be worth looking into. www.mindspawn.com.
It's in the links.

Message 9/9             22-Jul-98  @  11:54 PM   -   RE: Anyone stealed a song from you ?

carles

Thanks for the info .
I will get info if the letter to myself works here in Spain .
My friend finally didnt sign that contract but the band seems to keep with this guy for reasons I dont really know and understand .
This is the management comntract , the label is Warner and they signed for 6 years , That Manager is NOT from Warner .The 1 LP they recorded (2months ago) was produced by Nigel (dont know surname) that produced last The Verve record . And that "manager" seems to like the idea of been here earning some easy money . If I was my friend Ill send this guy to hell .
And sir dick was right , that guy is a frustrated musician .

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 9 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)