aaa Brand Spankin' New on samplers.. help - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Brand Spankin' New on samplers.. help

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/9             22-Jul-98  @  11:44 AM   -   Brand Spankin' New on samplers.. help

Richardson

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

This what I know:
Samplers can sample sounds from whereever and play them back some can play patches
like strings and pianos right?? ok There are many functions that can be performed like
cut,paste,loop,crossfade etc. Now there maybe also effects. also some has resonant filters and other stuff like that. Please persuade me that a sampler is more than this. I see these
sophisticated units and i think all it can do is the above. Its true that you can make whole songs with a sampler?? How? what else can it do? can it sequence, are there internal sounds I know samplers are a powerful instrument but if they do only just what I wrote above then i'm having trouble understanding why they are so powerful to people?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/9             22-Jul-98  @  06:35 PM   -   RE: Brand Spankin' New on samplers.. help

influx

Link?:  Link

I guess it goes like this: without samplers, ther wouldnt be much to the music were all here about. Well. maybe, but not quite. Im not the one to ramble about the "tech side" of samplers, but...no offense, but I was a little, surprised at your post.
How about being able to have EVERY synth sound you could ever want, all in one unit? OR hundreds of different drum sounds that you can smack it up, flip it, rub it down, OH NO>>>>Oh shit Im trippin'
how about findin that killer funky vocal clip and loopin it, runnin effecs and.....NEW sound.
You have DEFINITELY missed the point, friend.
Yes, with a good sampler, you could do a whole song-easily!
go listen to Hilevelts (or anyones) might K2000 and see the difference between the sampled sound and the final product.
Was this funny to anyone else? No offense fella

Message 3/9             22-Jul-98  @  10:12 PM   -   RE: Brand Spankin' New on samplers.. help

Richardson

guess it goes like this: without samplers, ther wouldnt be much to the music were all here about. Well. maybe, but not quite. Im not the one to ramble about the "tech side" of samplers, but...no offense, but I was a little, surprised at your post. How about being able to have EVERY synth sound you could ever want, all in one
unit? OR hundreds of different drum sounds that you can smack it up, flip it, rub it down, OH NO>>>>Oh shit
Im trippin' how about findin that killer funky vocal clip and loopin it, runnin effecs and.....NEW sound. You have
DEFINITELY missed the point, friend. Yes, with a good sampler, you could do a whole song-easily! go listen to Hilevelts (or anyones) might K2000 and see the difference between the sampled sound and the final product.
Was this funny to anyone else? No offense fella

Theres no offense taken. I didn't know something. and now you're telling me some of it. Of course I missed
the point thats why I'm asking for it.. I was unwaware and needed to be told certain information. hopefully others will continue to explain like you did.

Message 4/9             22-Jul-98  @  11:01 PM   -   RE: Brand Spankin' New on samplers.. help

influx

Well, richardson, theres no such thing as a stupid question (except the ones I ask!)
If anything, a sampler opens up a whole new world of sound-you can use anything, recorded digitally, in atrack. Imagine wanting a vocal clip for your house tune-not full vocals, but a certain piece of a chorus or something that you heard somewhere else. Now, without a sampler, youd have to record someone singing that part, GET IT JUST RIGHT, then re-record it over your track. with a sampler, you just sample it, edit it however you want, then trigger it wherever you want.
AND IT JUST GETS BETTER.
I doesnt seem that anyone else is gonna touch this, so go get some books on samplers, or do a websearch or something.

Message 5/9             23-Jul-98  @  02:18 AM   -   RE: Brand Spankin' New on samplers.. help

weasel

Well ...in my humble opinion, samplers originated a whole new way of making music....
instead of working with short individual drum sounds (snare, bassdrum, hihat etc...) to create
a rhythm track, all of a sudden you could trigger off a whole loop from one note. Same, for instrumental, you're triggering phrases instead of individual notes.
So you're playing around with much larger structures without having to worry
about playing technique..., anyway... which leads you to a whole
new level...er... I think.

Message 6/9             23-Jul-98  @  02:21 AM   -   RE: Brand Spankin' New on samplers.. help

kilo

i think you'll find that style was invented by DJ's with decks mate....

Message 7/9             23-Jul-98  @  05:45 AM   -   RE: Brand Spankin' New on samplers.. help

buggo

i need a sampler. please give me one. kilo, i'm sure you have way too much gear. ship it to me and i will be your friend. really i will.

Message 8/9             23-Jul-98  @  07:55 AM   -   RE: Brand Spankin' New on samplers.. help

Sedusa

Keep lookin in used music stores, bug.... I found my Emax for $120....
Anybody can afford that... (Of course, I haggled the guitar guy who owned the store
down from $200, because I thought it might be broken... Turns out, the OS disk just wasn't all the way in the drive... Hehe....) But keep lookin for deals.. I go at least once a month to all the used shops in town to see if they've got anything I want.. Jes keep lookin. .. You wait for those deals you just can't pass up..

Message 9/9             23-Jul-98  @  02:03 PM   -   RE: Brand Spankin' New on samplers.. help

jet

Richardson, in my opinion samplers can be devided in 2 types: frist one - cheap old ones such as mentioned Emax are good for FX and staff you should go for them if you already have a HDR system and second type - modern samplers such as Yamaha A3K and ESI-4000 (or -400) (affordable but have pro characteristics) ....they can take up to 128mb of RAM so as you said you can make a whole track on them... also if you add a SCSI drive they would serve all your needs and could be the only one needed piece of gear in your setup..aslo there is another option to go for such samplers as MPC2000 and Ensoniq Asr-x

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 9 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)